Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 4:17:17 AM EDT
I'm curious how many here would like to read some of the more controversial titles by Paladin, amongst
other publishers, but fear our government.

I, personally, do fear our .gov.  The only location I would feel comfortable purchasing this
literature would be cash only, private party or at a gun show setting.

Quite sad and scary at the same time that this bastion of freedom, known as the United States of America,
would have a government in place that would induce fear amongst its citizens.

Poll coming if I can figure out how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I got some Palladin Press books, purchased both FTF at gun shows for cash and some mail order.  The mail ordered ones I got are the Haydukes Revenge series.

A lot of their other stuff it's best to stay under the radar nowadays
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Cash.And I bought alot of them in the 80s.I've been paranoid a LONG time........
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I would have chosen for entertainment purposes only besides they may be very interesting. Knowledge is power so the Man wants us weak & ignorant.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys are paranoid.  Loompanics, Paladin, etc dont cooperate with the government. Paladin has been sued by people who were victims of criminals who used the books they sold, haven't conceded an inch when it was in their immediate interest to do so.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If an Muslim idiot in NYC can hold up a sign with a picture of the White House under an islamic flag with the words "Islam will Dominate!" on it  and not get arrested for advocating a violent overthrow of the goverment, I don't think you should worry about the content of certain books that you choose to buy & read.

-Scott

Edit: Don't try to post within minutes of waking up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only location I would feel comfortable purchasing this

why?

Excellent question.  Why are people afraid of buying books but not afraid of buying guns?  Doesn't make any sense.  I have a whole library of 'controversial titles'.  

Here's a newsflash:  If you're worried about being on 'the list', you're already on it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have copies of the "Poorman's James Bond"  Volumes I, II, & III.  I bought them through Paladin Press over 20 years ago.  

The sad thing is that today these books are considered "bomb making materials".  If my house were raided, it's possible I could face charges for even possessing them.  

I can see why people wouldn't want to be on a mailing list.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If an Muslim idiot in NYC can hold up a sign with a picture of the White House under an islamic flag with the words "Islam will Dominate!" on it  and not get arrested for advocating a violent overthrow of the goverment, I don't think you should worry about the content of certain books that you choose to buy & read.

-Scott

Yeah, but remember if the JBT's harrassed this guy they would be guilty of harrassment and "profiling" against a follower of a "peaceful" religion.  All us "gun nuts" are homegrown terrorists in training, and thus fair game according to the media and the gubmint.  Or did you guys miss the whole Ruby Ridge thing?

I am even afraid to look at "controversial" sites on the internet.  Just belonging to this site probably has us on someone's "list"...

It's a sad sad freaking day for America that we have to endure censorship and fear of big brother to this extent, isnt' it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]
No fear
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Raven:  

You guys are paranoid. Loompanics, Paladin, etc dont cooperate with the government. Paladin has been sued by people who were victims of criminals who used the books they sold, haven't conceded an inch when it was in their immediate interest to do so.

Raven, I wish your statement were true.  Several years ago a guy bought the home made silencer book as well as some "hit man" book from Paladin.  Cops siezed sales records from Paladin, ultimately tracking purchaser down.  Now the purchaser did indeed use the info gathered from the Paladin books to produce a homemade silencer, which he installed on an AR-7, and proceeded to murder 3 people with info gathered from the "Hit Man" title.

Subsequently the family of aforementioned murder victims sued Paladin, succesfully.  There was an
undisclosed cash settlement as well as a promise from Paladin not to sell the "Hit Man" book in the future.

Sorry, my man, the .gov can and will do whatever it can to quash freedom of the press.

In the previous story, obviously I'm happy scumbag murderer was caught, however at what cost of MY freedom did it happen?

Aimless:

Quoted:

The only location I would feel comfortable purchasing this

why?

Do I need to explain it further?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Bullitt3401:

Sorry, Dude, posted at about 8:30 AM EST.  Had been up for approximately 4.75 hours as of first posting.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I've bought many books from Paladin Press years ago. The weirdest one was "Be Your Own Undertaker: How To Dispose Of A Dead Body". I bought it as a joke -- I used to get a kick out of people's faces when they saw it lying on the coffee table.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]
"I have no interest at all in the controversial titles,"

nor would I be inclined to talk about it here if I did.

Years ago I had ordered a couple titles from them. I never thought it was a problem. Then I underwent a background check for a certain "project" I was involved in, early 1990's. I was told a "flag" came up WRT my purchase, however it never proved to be a issue. It was mentioned in passing.

My point is that it's likely that activity along those lines will be flagged.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#15]
A couple of years ago, I went to Barnes & Noble bookstore on 71st Street across from Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa and asked if they had a copy of "Unintended Consequences". They looked it up on the computer and said that they did not have it on the shelf but could order it and it would take a couple of days to come in...

I asked them to order it and they asked for my credit card. I told them that I would pre-pay cash for it right there and I was happy to wait, no problem.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!!! The girl behind the counter then asked to see my driver's license and said that they needed photo ID to order "These kind of books"

I asked her, what kind of books?

She hemmed and hawed for a minute and said that their computer had "Unintended Consequences" on a list with other books like "The Turner Diaries" and Mein Kampf and that they could order them but they required a credit card and/or photo ID...

I went home without ourdering the book and made myself a new tinfoil hat, no shi'ite.

I later bought the book for cash at a gun show.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I ordered all mine while I was in the Army stationed in Gremany.. LOL I bet they loved that...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A couple of years ago, I went to Barnes & Noble bookstore on 71st Street across from Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa and asked if they had a copy of "Unintended Consequences". They looked it up on the computer and said that they did not have it on the shelf but could order it and it would take a couple of days to come in...

I asked them to order it and they asked for my credit card. I told them that I would pre-pay cash for it right there and I was happy to wait, no problem.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!!! The girl behind the counter then asked to see my driver's license and said that they needed photo ID to order "These kind of books"

She hemmed and hawed for a minute and said that their computer had "Unintended Consequences" on a list with other books like "The Turner Diaries" and Mein Kampf and that they could order them but they required a credit card and/or photo ID...

I went home without ourdering the book and made myself a new tinfoil hat, no shi'ite.

Holy shit.  That is fucked up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I am going to try this at B&N.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#19]

As soon as you said 71st I knew what was up. Thats crazy! Crazy! I purchased mine at Hastings in South Texas and paid cash. I cant beleive B&B do that crap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Are U a do it yourselfer ?

In the shop- pipe, pipe caps, wire, tools, dirll press.

utility closet- batterys, cloth pins, timer/clock.

gun cabniet - gunpower or bullets with power in them.

Book shelf- Paladin Press book on explosives.

I wonder what BAFT would do   ??????
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Judging by the books that are carried at the book stores here, I would not be surprised at all to see them keeping records of who buys them.

I'd bet they would be thrilled to turn over a list of right wing people to the cops.

Books are not illegal. No matter what they say. If you are going to be using the info inside for illegal purposes get rid of the book first.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You guys are paranoid.  Loompanics, Paladin, etc dont cooperate with the government. Paladin has been sued by people who were victims of criminals who used the books they sold, haven't conceded an inch when it was in their immediate interest to do so.

Last night I was watching the "FBI Files". They went to Paladin to find the book list for a suspect and detailed exactly what the books discussed.

2 words. Proxy surf.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Okay... I gotta call BS on this. Maybe it wasn't a Barnes & Noble you were at because this simply does not happen at Barnes & Noble. I worked for them for over three years, in several stores and there is NO POLICY whatsoever which would require seeing anyone's driver's license to order a book. I've ordered that book for customers before and no "flag" came up because they simply don't exist. Hell... Hydguy got his copy from a Barnes & Noble that actually had it on the shelf (he asked them for it on the off chance that they had it, and they did).

Either you weren't at a B&N or the bookseller was taking it upon herself to give you shit about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top