Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2006 11:09:27 AM EDT
Ok as far as pistols have gone I have been a pretty die hard 1911/glock guy. Well I got a good deal on a USP .45, I like the size feel or the USP and thought it would make a good business/work carry gun.

I really like the flat black look for carry and the size.

well anyways I am pretty good with it in single action mode, double action really sucks though.

The big problem is when I carry it cocked and locked, i brush the safety and it decocks the fucker! which really FUBARS up my first shot?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
dang, I'm not carrying ANYTHING that the safety drops by just "brushing it"

no offense, but I don't want anything decocking in my pants.

*damn that just don't sound right*

how about go back to carrying a 1911 if you can't shoot for crap in double action.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
easy to fix. Put a variant 9 detent plate in it and it gets rid of the decocker
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Learn how to shoot with the double action.  Simple and it gives you an extra excuse to practice.  It is not ment to be carried cocked.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel your pain. I tried to carry my Sig P229 .40, but the DA first shot throws me off. I switched to a Glock and all is well, but I miss my Sig.

I suggest getting a Sig DAK or HK LEM to solve the problem. That is what I am going to do anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#6]
stock USP trigger in DA mode sucks.

thats my only problem also

i stick to my 1911s for CCW, but the HK is fine for everything else

you can get a match trigger installed, they are suppose to be smoother...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are routinely bumping it such that it can be decocked, you are doing something wrong.  Pray you don't hit the trigger too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes it really does suck even the m9 trigger doesn't seem this bad, I wanted the usp to replace my g-19 and milspec operator for carry (so I could use the milspec for home defense with a light and 10rd mag)

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
It would seem to me that once could cock a hammer almost as easily as they could click off a safety.

Cowboys did it for years.

Here's a USP tip: Learn to drop the mag with your trigger finger rather than your thumb. You can do mag changes without adjusting the firearm in your grip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That would be a great idea, there really is no need for double action.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it really does suck even the m9 trigger doesn't seem this bad, I wanted the usp to replace my g-19 and milspec operator for carry (so I could use the milspec for home defense with a light and 10rd mag)

My HK USP trigger is much, much better than a Beretta M9 or 92FS trigger in double or single action.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My HK USP trigger is much, much better than a Beretta M9 or 92FS trigger in double or single action.

its like the best of the worst
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be a great idea, there really is no need for double action.

if you still want DA, you could just lower it with your thumb. This way it eliminates all possibilities of accidentally decocking if you are in a high-stress situation. It is only like a $10 part and very easy to switch yourself (takes about 2 minutes)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Trying to love USP .45 any tips

Sell for cash.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Stick with the 1911, it's what everyone ends up with in the end.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

its like the best of the worst

Better than my Berettas or Glocks. Hey maybe you gotta point.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#18]

The big problem is when I carry it cocked and locked, i brush the safety and it decocks the fucker

I have three USP's (2 comps, 1 full size .45)& i've never had a problem like that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The big problem is when I carry it cocked and locked, i brush the safety and it decocks the fucker

I have three USP's (2 comps, 1 full size .45)& i've never had a problem like that.

Maybe i should have explained, when I draw i sweep the safety with too much force so it decocks, probably due to carrying 1911's where you can hit them hard and ride them while you shoot.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought the whole reason for a DA/SA was so you dont need to carry it cocked?

I keep my USP chambered, and de-cocked...My first round pull feels better to me than any Glock I have ever fired, and I shoot this particular pistol more accurately than any other sidearm I own, or have owned.

I think the easiest solution is to practice your first round shots, and follow-ups...so you get used to the trigger.
Or, if it is not to your liking...get something else. (You definitely should not carry a weapon you are not comfortable shooting)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe i should have explained, when I draw i sweep the safety with too much force so it decocks, probably due to carrying 1911's where you can hit them hard and ride them while you shoot.

I understand your issue is with it decocking when you disengage the safety, but you are also comparing your SA pull on a 1911 with the DA pull of the USP... of course the DA pull is going to suck.

Look into another trigger or variant, like the LE trigger or something, where its a long smooth DAO pull...

I've never had an issue with turning off the safety and it decocking the weapon on any of my USPs. Could it be defective?

Maybe you could cock the hammer as you pull the gun from the holster?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Too big.

Might as well carry a small rifle if you're going to carry that thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand your issue is with it decocking when you disengage the safety, but you are also comparing your SA pull on a 1911 with the DA pull of the USP... of course the DA pull is going to suck.

Look into another trigger or variant, like the LE trigger or something, where its a long smooth DAO pull...

I've never had an issue with turning off the safety and it decocking the weapon on any of my USPs. Could it be defective?

Maybe you could cock the hammer as you pull the gun from the holster?

i THINK i will just make it a SA only gun, the SA pull is nice I really find the DA option pointless.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh...I misunderstood you as well.
Just takes some getting used to, I suppose.
But...like I said, I just carry mine chambered and de-cocked.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm afraid I can't offer you much advice.  I tried to love my USP too, and was ultimately unsuccessful.  I've always heard that if you love something, you should set it free.  I decided to make an exception in the case of the USP... I set it free anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Alot of complaints on the DA... Granted, the USP's trigger is not the best DA pull I've felt, but I've felt worse in many pistols. To get used to it, I simply practiced drawing and firing at a paneled door in my room. One shot per each of the 8 panels (about 1"x1") as fast as you can, while maintaining sight picture. Get a snap cap though, not many guns are cool with you "cap gunning" them.

Is the saftey ambi? I'm having trouble understanding how during carry, the holster isn't holding the saftey in the on position.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm afraid I can't offer you much advice.  I tried to love my USP too, and was ultimately unsuccessful.  I've always heard that if you love something, you should set it free.  I decided to make an exception in the case of the USP... I set it free anyway.

has it assaulted anyone while its been on its own?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Learn how to shoot with the double action.  Simple and it gives you an extra excuse to practice.  It is not ment to be carried cocked.

Sure it is.  HK even says it is.

I'm in the process of converting a few of mine to variant 9, to disable the decocker.

Honestly, I think they only included double action so they could sell it to more police departments.  A c&l USP is a slick gun.  I'm writing this with a c&l usp on my side.  No extra holes in my butt, so far.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess I could check on HK's site, or Google it... but can someone post a detailed description/specs of each variant, including the new LE trigger.... and let me know where to buy the "conversion" parts (and how cheap are they?)

I am thinking I want a decock only option with a lighter DAO pull-- I get hung up on the safety too easily.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I guess I could check on HK's site, or Google it... but can someone post a detailed description/specs of each variant, including the new LE trigger.... and let me know where to buy the "conversion" parts (and how cheap are they?)

I am thinking I want a decock only option with a lighter DAO pull-- I get hung up on the safety too easily.

The diagram explains a lot:

(from the HKPro site)

Small amount of info about the LE trigger at HK USA:

www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=102&REFID=A0000&SITEID=A

I don't have one yet, but I was thinking about the Compact .45 model. I have a couple of Sigs, and I have no problem with the DA first shot.

What would Jack Bauer do??
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#32]
All I know is that I love mine!  Yes, I like my finger there.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Trying to love USP .45 any tips

Sell for cash.

+1

Had one sold it, got a Glock21.  Like the Glock much better.

I now have a 1911 too, I like both much better that the USP.  Can you say crap trigger pull, even in SA?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Get the proper detent plates for cocked and locked only function for the lever.

It's meant to be versatile, but just ends up trying to do too many things at once.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#35]

there really is no need for double action.

I really find the DA option pointless.

The second strike option is a valid argument for DA. I thought that was one of the reasons why the Military dropped the 1911 and chose the Beretta.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: I love the 1911, but in true ARFCOM fashion I've got both.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The second strike option is a valid argument for DA. I thought that was one of the reasons why the Military dropped the 1911 and chose the Beretta.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe you're right.  And I'm glad to have the second strike.  But you can convert to a variant 9 and carry c&l and still have that second strike

I like to think I train to tap rack bang when my first strike doesn't do it though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: I love the 1911, but in true ARFCOM fashion I've got both.

if you have a failure to fire, immediate action should be to rack the slide to eject the round, not try to fire a possible dud round again.

the double strike requirement exists in military specs but the idea itself is questionable at best.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I recall what Col. Cooper used to teach with the 59 series S&W when they were in their prime is to carry hammer down and cock it just prior to shooting.  It is faster than the DA and much more accurate.  I have done this with Sigs in IPSC matches..........

It might not be practical for some liability sort-of reason.

I have passed up two cheap USP .45s.  I mean very cheap.  I just figured they were cheap for a reason.......

I am just going to buy more mags for my Glock 21.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have passed up two cheap USP .45s.  I mean very cheap.  I just figured they were cheap for a reason.......

How cheap? new/used? Stainless? where??? IM me

Quoted:
I am just going to buy more mags for my Glock 21.  

The hi-cap mags are very pricey for the USP45... You can buy at least 2 or 3 new ones for the price of one USP45 mag. I recently bought 3 just to have high-caps for all my pistols...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yes it is, that's why varients 9 and 10 exist.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#41]
What's not to like.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#42]
This is why I switched to Glock.  Not as fussy as a new 1911, not as big as a USP, and no decocker, like the SIG.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
All I know is that I love mine!  Yes, I like my finger there.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1142219/2hk.jpg

Different strokes, different folks but your figure there means the gun is too big for you.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like user error.

the distance that you have to depress the decock lever is huge
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#45]
i sold my H&K USP .45 and bought a Glock 21 .45 and couldnt be happier with my decision.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It would seem to me that once could cock a hammer almost as easily as they could click off a safety.

Cowboys did it for years.

Here's a USP tip: Learn to drop the mag with your trigger finger rather than your thumb. You can do mag changes without adjusting the firearm in your grip.

This may not work for everyone.  due to my hand shape/size i found myself canting the pistol anyway.  i tried thumb, point, and middle finger mag releases.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a USP .45 as well...and IMHO, the solution to loving my USP is to not shoot my 1911 anymore.

Every time I shoot my 1911, I damn near sell the USP.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
What's not to like.
photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=10093&iGalleryUnq=1848&iImageUnq=39952

NOW THAT'S A SWEET ARSENAL!!!!  DAMN!!!  

PS:  Is the rifle on the top a Rob Arms?  Lastly - where did you get the stock for your M1A on the left?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Have a "Match Trigger Kit" installed and you'll have a better trigger than a Sig.  

My full size USP is now my best shooter after I installed the Match Trigger.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Too big.

Might as well carry a small rifle if you're going to carry that thing.

right.   I own 2 USPs, TAC and FS .40.  IMHO, both are too big for daily carry, however until I find a good deal on a Mass Legal full size 1911 that Im comfy with, I carry my .40, decocked.  I just practice that way.  alot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top