Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:53:02 AM EDT
I'm thinking about putting together a small private investigation service. Are there any licenses I need to get or anything I need to do to become one? I was considereing doing this on my own, starting off gaining information on cheating spouses. Following, taking pictures, etc. Anybody know anything?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:54:56 AM EDT
Have gun, will travel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:58:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 9:59:29 AM EDT by weptek911]
In Michigan, you apply for a license through the Michigan State Police.

In florida you go here

What kind of investigator are you going to be if you can't figure out how to google ?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:59:18 AM EDT
A red Ferrari and a buddy with a chopper.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:59:30 AM EDT
Depends. In Georgia you have to be a former LEO, unless I misread the website.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:01:52 AM EDT
Don't forget the curly hair, tight bluejeans, mustache, and an abundance of Hawaiian shirts.

Originally Posted By 3-gun:

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:06:47 AM EDT
You'll have to check with regards to being licensed in the State of Florida. Not sure if your state requires it.

Here in NY one becomes licensed with either a background in LE, or by 'working' under a licensed PI for a minimum of 3 years.

Be careful of starting out on your own, before you check those license requirements.

Has its ups and down - matrimonials suck in my opinion - either you catch someone or even if you don't, its hard to 'please' the client. Might want to look into gearing a business towards witness statements, insurance claims, criminal defense, auto accident scene reconstruction, workers comp claims, skip tracing, bounty hunting.

Downside, its not like Magnum PI - No hot chicks, no helicopters, or fast cars. If you enjoy sitting in a car for 8 hours or more in 100+ degree heat, tinted windows sweating your balls off fighting off a migrane you'll love it

Feels good to nab someone, or nail'em in a statement you've obtained. Pay is sometimes hard to get even from lawyers and insurance companies.

Try it, you just might like it though - just be sure to check out those requirements in your state.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:11:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By joker581:
Depends. In Georgia you have to be a former LEO, unless I misread the website.

You misread it. Anyone can become a PI in GA provided they pass all the background and the state exams. But, you have to have a licensed PI company "sponsor" you.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:36:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 3-gun:

Mid-70s beige Camaro. Tom Selleck got his start on Rockford Files.
Top Top