Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 3:00:27 PM EDT
Did anyone see this movie?  I thought it was going to be a good but it dropped off of the face of the earth.

Direct TV has it on at 9:30, is it worth a look?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, it does justice to the Rangers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
frigging HORRIBLE. 36 hours of sheer boredom and scenery chewing topped off with 15 minutes of good action. watch the history channel show. much better and it has the actual participants.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Skip it, boring love story, cardboard actors just stand around an talk forever, lousy writing, should have been a great story, very poorly done. Complete waste.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Read the book. The movie sucked.

They can't even get things historically accurate on the DVD cover, so that should tell you how much effort they put into making the movie right.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They can't even get things historically accurate on the DVD cover, so that should tell you how much effort they put into making the movie right.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/samjham/GreatRaid.jpg

Yeah, where's the Filipino Guerilla soldier and the Caraboiu carts?
and
Whoa, do I see a Beretta 9mm to the left there?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the movie was okay, but then I haven't read the book. Many times, a story about something that really happened isn't as exciting as a fictional John Woo flick with gunplay and explosions throughout. There was some good Thompson/Garand/Browning action here and there. It seems like more effort is made to get the Japanese weapons and equipment right compared to years ago.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I love the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and

Yep, and apparently they didn't teach the Rangers to take the scabbard off of their bayonets before going into battle
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and

Yep, and apparently they didn't teach the Rangers to take the scabbard off of their bayonets before going into battle

Sad.  Just truely sad.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#10]
It was okay.  Nothing fantastic.  Of course on ARFCOM there is no such thing as a decent movie.  Either it's a perfect documentery, or it's crap.

I'd spend a buck or two to see it.... nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
It was really boring. Definately NOT a good drinking movie.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Of course on ARFCOM there is no such thing as a decent movie.  Either it's a perfect documentery, or it's crap.

I think you'll find that we all love HEAT!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It was okay.  Nothing fantastic.  Of course on ARFCOM there is no such thing as a decent movie.  Either it's a perfect documentery, or it's crap.

hahahaha not true! the beast, red dawn, band of brothers, and of course, spr!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought for Hollywood it was pretty decent. It did get a little boring but it wasn't anti-military & it was willing to show the Japanese war crimes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Very average IMHO.  Moves at a slow pace and the execution of the storyline never really draws you in.  The saving grace for this movie is the combat at the end, which wasn't too bad.  But it's very far off from being the quality of Band Of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan.  It's probably worth a view but I doubt a person would ever be inclined to watch it again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I found myself fast-fowarding through the mushy parts, but overall enjoyed it.  I watched it on DVD and enjoyed the  interviews with the veterans more than the movie
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahahaha not true! the beast, red dawn, band of brothers, and of course, spr!

Red Dawn -- That is horrible.  The premise is neat but the acting is about as bad as it can get, the effects are just sad, the sound is awful.  I just don't get the love affair with it.

Now HEAT....  There is a movie I love.  SPR - Yeah we agree on that one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Who cares about the cover?  It's just a picture that goes on the dvd case, big deal they made an error.  The dept who created the cover probably had very little to do with the makers of the film.  Sometimes you guys are way too critical.

Personally I liked the movie.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Who cares about the cover?  It's just a picture that goes on the dvd case, big deal they made an error.  The dept who created the cover probably had very little to do with the makers of the film.  Sometimes you guys are way too critical.

Personally I liked the movie.

I thought the cover was very fitting for the quality of the movie personally. Just MO.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't seen the movie, but if any of you enjoy reading, read "Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides.  It is the story of Batann, Japanese brutality of the POW's who barely survive during the War, and their rescue by the Rangers.  Great book, it'll open your eyes to the true nature of the Imperialist Japanese.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Too non-PC, so the movie disappeared from theaters rapidly.  They thought nobody would come, but they did and the average movie goer age was over 50.  Strange, I never did see how much money it made.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#22]
This one I'll have to wait until it comes out on HBOHD.   There's a full screen version of the DVD for $20ish, and in their infinite wisdom they put out a widescreen version at around $30, plus a few weeks ago went to Best Buy on a DVD buying binge and they didn't have any widescreen versions of it.  OK, make it hard for me to buy a widescreen version of it distribution and price-wise and I wont buy it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Red Dawn -- That is horrible.  

Dear Lord, get ready for the shitstorm!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Red Dawn -- That is horrible.  

Dear Lord, get ready for the shitstorm!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't seen it yet, but I understand that the writers simplify things by characterizing the raid as a "Ranger" operation, and the role that the Alamo Scouts played isn't shown.

They're pissed about it, too.

www.alamoscouts.org/

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Skip it, boring love story, cardboard actors just stand around an talk forever, lousy writing, should have been a great story, very poorly done. Complete waste.

Are you serious?

Why do they keep putting love stories in war movies?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?

Why do they keep putting love stories in war movies?

Simple. Money. They want to draw in the women viewers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like a 1911 to me (on my small blackberry screen).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Is that a Beretta???
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Is that a Beretta???

Looks like it to me. Definitely not a 1911. At least to my eyes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#31]
[quote]Quoted:

Red Dawn -- That is horrible.  The premise is neat but the acting is about as bad as it can get, the effects are just sad, the sound is awful.  I just don't get the love affair with it.

Man, how could you not like Red Dawn?  Yeh, it was low tech and scratchy, but hell at least they:
1. Tried to make real looking Soviet Tanks
2. Mock-up  Dshk-38's
3. AK-47's & AK-74's
4. Real Soviet Camo
5. Russian & Spanish speaking actors (not  english dialog with Russian accent)
6. RPG-7's
7. Hot Chicks with guns!
8. Decent HIND helicopter mock-ups
9. Ambushes, ass-kickins', and full auto's
10. Yeti submachinegun  (rare)

..............what the hell was there not to like?  Have a beer,  kick back and watch it on a decent size screen..............I think it will grow on you!

P.S......I saw it at the theatre!  I'm getting old!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep, thats a Beretta and the movie sucked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#33]
nice brand new slings too, still with creases.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:10:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

OMG, is that dude with on the left holding a barretta??  i thought this took place in WWII.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top