Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone post the stats on fatal medical malpractice vs accidental gun death.  I think you are about 7,000 times more likely to be killed by your doctor than your gun.

ETA, Found it:

A. The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000.
B. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.
C. Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%.

(Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)

Guns:
A. The number of gun owners in the U.S is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80 million).
B. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
C. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

(Statistics courtesy of the FBI)

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than guns.

Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

The statistics on attorneys has been withheld, in order to keep people from being panicked into seeking medical attention.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
"no" but if I did, I wouldn't tell you.  And in any case my radial arm saw, router table, table saw and various historical swords and cutting tools are far more dangerous.  And did I tell you about the time the jack broke while I was installing snow chains.  You are writing all this down aren't you?  You wanted to know about the hazards.  I got a power lawnmower and grass edges.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't put down anything that is not related to an ongoing medical condition, medicine I take, or exposure to something I believe might be relevant. On anything else I leave it blank, and if asked, I just tell them it's none of your or the AMAs business.

There is a line that should not be crossed, including the gun question.
However, what you think is irrelevelant is not neccessarily irrelevant. I have seen many docs scratch their heads for days until the patient comes across with a clue and the old "I thought it was irrelevant" statement.
Even if you are shot, the gun question is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Question: Medical History form at the doctors office - 'Is there a gun in your home?'

Answer: None of your Motherfucking Business, Asswipe.

Now give me my antibiotics and STFU.

SG
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Fill it in  "If you promise to stop practicing risk assessment without a license, I promise to stop practicing medicine without one. :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, we usually compare what each one of us is carrying for the day.

Then we discuss any interesting new aquisitions, and  plans for my childrens aquisitions.

Then he details which new Harley he bought.

Both my other doctors have more extensive collections than do I, and a good percentage of their office staff carry due to crime in the office areas.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had a doctor ask me that once.  I responded with, "are you wearing panties?"  She gave me a look of horror and embarassment.  

Changed doctors after that visit.

Nice work!  I went to a doctor and got the same shit.  "Do you own firearms?"  "Are you a victim of domestic violence?"  "Is your spouse an alcoholic?"

None of this was any of his damn business.

Then they give me a form asking me to sign saying I read and agree to their privacy policy.  They never gave me the policy.  I asked the receptionist for the privacy policy and it took them about 10 minutes to find a copy.  

Even then I read it carefully and it was written is this weasly language.  So I ammended it, wrote my own privacy policy and signed that.

The doctor asked why I did that I told him what happened in his office.  He asked me, "Why are you so paranoid?"

He then went on to give me misleading/incorrect information about AIDS and so on.

I haven't gone back to that asshole.  I'd like to have a doctor I could trust but I thought about it and that guy has the attitude that he is a smart Doctor type and laymen are uneducated fools and it's up to him to get us to change our habits to be more healthy.  Which is fine with me, if he wants to talk to me at my level of intelligence, which he doesn't.  So fuck him.

And fuck any other doctors that ask non-medical questions.

One day I'll get off my ass and get a new GP.  Before even going in I'll ask if they give out those questionairres and if they say, "Yes" then I will skip them altogether.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Just fill in the blanks as follows.....Nail gun, rivit gun, soldering gun, , paint gun
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When a Dr. informed me that having a firearm in the home increased my chances of being killed or wounded by gunfire,  I asked him if having running water increased my chances of drowning;  after that he stuck to to medical matters.

Nice one!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They ask because that what the FP college has mandated.  I personally have my CCW weapon at work.  I have known more then one doc get shot and get killed at work.  

But its not an antigun question.  Its a safety question.  Because the if the doc follows up on it properly, he will ask, do you have locks, are the mags away from the pistol, are the guns accessible to kids etc.

Not everyone that asks about your guns is antigun.  

Why do feel it's appropriate for Doctors to be asking questions and interviewing children looking for wrong-doing?  The first time my Doc asks my child a question like what was posted here in the start will be last time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I just leave it blank.  Do you guys give you ss number to doc's?  I don't give them anything I don't think they need for a medical reason.  The only reason I know that they take the ss number is for collection of debt, so I don't give it out.  Also, I have no insurance so I pay up front in cash.  Don't want you all thinking I'm a dead beat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Who has seen this on the form you fill out when you go to the doctor?
Why the hell do they ask this?

I go through a few pages of medical history information...alergies, past conditions, family medical history.....that all makes perfect sense, as it directly affects why I might be sitting in a doctors office. What the hell does my having a weapon at home have to do with me having stomach cramps and a fever?  

"None of your fucking business" is the only correct answer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Just asked my wife and she said our pediatrician didn't ask, but then again I live in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just fill in the blanks as follows.....Nail gun, rivit gun, soldering gun, , paint gun

I was thinking more along the lines of a clam gun.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
There are no guns in the houses of AR15dotcom members!!!!!

There all in the safe.  Right?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]
The mere mention of guns has me in a near apoplectic state. I require valium and a backrub and a lollipop.

My neurologist doesn't ask. I tell! It makes him nervous--motorcycle riding, machine gun shoots, aerial photography, general risk taking.....He calls me the "Daredevil Myasthenic"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
A gun?

1)  YOu mean "a" as in singular?   No.

2)  Actually, there are no guns in my house.  I do not own a cannon, shotgun or other smoothbore.  I have pistols, revolvers and rifles for shooting, but the only "gun" I have is for fun.  

I would like a 16" naval rifle on my boat, but haven't had much luck with that.  Dunno if it falls under any BATF regs as it's not an SBR or FA.

Now, if you are worried about suicides, look out for ropes and rafters.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They ask because that what the FP college has mandated.  I personally have my CCW weapon at work.  I have known more then one doc get shot and get killed at work.  

But its not an antigun question.  Its a safety question.  Because the if the doc follows up on it properly, he will ask, do you have locks, are the mags away from the pistol, are the guns accessible to kids etc.

Not everyone that asks about your guns is antigun.  

Presumably, these doctors are given the accompanying technical training about firearms so they have a decent knowledge base from which to ask these questions?  

In any case, I don't expect my doctor to lecture me about firearms any more than I expect he lecture me about finance.  In neither area does he posess more technical knowledge than I.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A gun?

1)  YOu mean "a" as in singular?   No.

2)  Actually, there are no guns in my house.  I do not own a cannon, shotgun or other smoothbore.  I have pistols, revolvers and rifles for shooting, but the only "gun" I have is for fun.  

I would like a 16" naval rifle on my boat, but haven't had much luck with that.  Dunno if it falls under any BATF regs as it's not an SBR or FA.

Now, if you are worried about suicides, look out for ropes and rafters.

It'd be a destructive device.
$200 tax.
Do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just asked my wife and she said our pediatrician didn't ask, but then again I live in Texas.

"This is TEXAS!!! My FLORIST has a gun!"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You need a new doctor.  

+1.

I'd let him know as I walked out, too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I have never encountered that question at a Doctors office questionaire. Only hear about it on teh intarweb.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, Molon Labe
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We just made it illegal here in VA for Dr's to ask that

My Dr asked me what I did for fun, (during my first physical, I was a new patient)
I commented that I shot High Power rifle,
so he had me explain it to him,
gave him the quick 1 minute drill on service rifle etc
Doc tells me I should do it more often,

best Dr I have ever had, got the entire family going to him now,

gotta support those who support you!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#26]
A local Dr. that just passed away last year, would have looked at the form and said something like, "I see your a gun own, and you have high BP.  Well I think you need to go shooting more often, I'll meet you at the range Sunday at 10:00."
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Knock on wood, I don't go to the doctor very often.  

I went two years ago for shin splints.  

Four years ago for a cold or flu type thing.  Never filled out anything like that either.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Its the insurance industry and the AMA. The AMA is a huge backdoor contributor to the anti-gunners.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Do you have a gun in the home?

Reply: Not right now. I take it whenever I leave.

Reading this topic, I was just thinking that.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I had a doctor ask me that once.  I responded with, "are you wearing panties?"  She gave me a look of horror and embarassment.  

Changed doctors after that visit.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top