Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
helped a few people that couldn't swim that well, I can't say if they were drowning, but they all needed help.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I did chest compression on a woman who was having a massive MI. But then the parametics actually saved her life with a defibulator. Hey, at least I did something.

Did it hurt when they pulled her fibula out of her leg?

Anyway, I have saved a couple and lost a couple.
Never lost a kid, or a mother.

Favorite was the person in the overturned car, in a drainage ditch during heavy rain.  SHe couldn't get her belt off.  I broke a window and dove in after her, lifted her up and unlatched the belt, then took her back out the window.  I ended up getting a lac fixed on my head where I hit the frame taking her out, and glass out of my hands where I went in the window.  She was uninjured.

This was at work; an employee of mine.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Cant count that high.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in EMS before I joined the Army, so, I had more than a few.

Some made it, some didn't.

Let me tell you the value in;

"I followed protocol."

The people in EMS will understand this.

One time I thought I had a guy in allergic reaction in .mil, I saw his breathing become labored, and,
I had no idea what was going on.  I thought his throat was closeing....

"Sir, I need to get this man out of here NOW!"

Captain Dinger did not even hesitate, and called for his perosnal HUMMV.  We had the guy up and outta there quick.

Of course all the pouges at Darnall ACH were just like..."Oh?  Resperatory distress?  Ok..."

This is me...I stink from a month in the field, and, one of my guys is in resperatory distress, and, these fucking pouges want to poo poo him.  I was close with Apache 6's driver, who interviened when he saw me start towards the POS nurse that said it....

"C'mon Doc..They got him, let's go.."

I tear up every time I think of this incident, becasue my fist was clenching and, I really almost hit that nurse.  Fortise....That was his name.  I still have his ID tag.  He gave me one of his origionals after he got out of the hospital.  He started breathing ok...(Of course) soon after he reached the ER.  As we were going back into the field, I was stewing....."What did I do right...What did I do wrong...Did I fuck up?  I bet I fucked up...I know I did..."  The CO's driver turned to me and said...."Hey...Doc?  If I'm ever dieing, I wan't you taking care of me man.  That was good shit."

God love them scouts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
probably not

but i've worked lots of accidents.............put lots of people on halo/in ambulances...............held femurs together, that kind of shit

+1.  I've been an EMT for about 6 years now.  FF for 8.  I don't believe I've EVER saved a life.  As much of a heathen as I am, if anything I've been God's hands.  He's the one that decides when we live or die,  I'm just their with a backboard and AED.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
probably not

but i've worked lots of accidents.............put lots of people on halo/in ambulances...............held femurs together, that kind of shit

+1.  I've been an EMT for about 6 years now.  FF for 8.  I don't believe I've EVER saved a life.  As much of a heathen as I am, if anything I've been God's hands.  He's the one that decides when we live or die,  I'm just their with a backboard and AED.

At risk of makeing this a religious thread........

"God" has nothing to do with it...Unless "God" is your "Hope".

Will is what I see pull people though.

Some are stubborn....

Some have to pray to find will.

Whatever floats you boat, y'know?

I understand what you're saying Dusty.....Human means will only help for so long.

I have literally seen people refuse to die.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.

A number of years back, the young single woman who lived in the apartment next to me and my wife burst frantically into our apartment with her three year old under her arm... she was speecheless, could not talk, so freaked out she was essentially non-functional.

Oh, and the kid was struggling and had a pale palor that was starting to go to blue... barely conscious.

I quickly figured from the sounds the tot was choking on something.

Grabbed the kid, performed the maneuver three times, and on the third, a tooth-paste lid popped out of the kids windpipe and she threw up on me.  

The kid was OK, but I cracked one of her ribs.  

The mom had called 911 but was SO non0functional in her panic that she didn't and couldn't communicate what was happening.    They dispatched anyway, and the police and EMTs arrived about 10 minutes later.   Kid would have been gone...  she had been choking for a couple minutes already.

Although she never said anything about it, I was worried a bit that this young woman (white trash type, utterly ignorant) was going to sue me for the hospital bills for the kid's broken rib, but nothing came of it.  I get a card from the little girl every now and again.   I think she was 11 years old the last time...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
pulled a friend out of a burning truck....he wasn't even injured

eta- i'm not sure that i really saved him, but he says i did
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I built a barrier system at the front gate of our FOB in Iraq that prevented a car bomb from killing the soldiers that were manning the gate. Then I pulled/helped 4 Iraqis out of the fire after the car bomb detonated.

Later I built the largest, most secure gate on any FOB in Iraq (at that time). FOB Summerall.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
more than a few from drowning, a couple of chokers.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
helped a few people that couldn't swim that well, I can't say if they were drowning, but they all needed help.

same here. The only one I can think of that may have died before anybody else could have gotten there was a little boy, about 7 years old. It amazes me that his parents let him that far into the ocean by himself (past the outside break).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Over 2,000 tandem jumps as PIC. Of course, I had a vested interest in keeping them alive since whatever happened to them happened to me right after.
I've helped keep people alive for the EMTs but I wouldnt count that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Told a friend of mine not to wear a blue suit and brown shoes to his job interview.

Actually, that's okay.  I don't wear navy suits, but if you do you should never mix navy and black.  They do make navy shoes for men.  However, short of that one should wear brown shoes, not black.  However, this is rarely done in practice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
probably not

At risk of makeing this a religious thread........

"God" has nothing to do with it...Unless "God" is your "Hope".

Will is what I see pull people though.

Some are stubborn....

Some have to pray to find will.

Whatever floats you boat, y'know?

I understand what you're saying Dusty.....Human means will only help for so long.

I have literally seen people refuse to die.

I have to.  It amazes me.  People know.  At least old black religious women do anyway lol.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah.

USAF Combat Search and Rescue.
OEF Aug-Nov03
OEF Oct-Dec06

~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Saved two kids from drowning when I was a kid. One was a boy that had actually drowned and had water in his lungs and he was unconscious. My mother was babysitting him and we were all in the pool. I found him in the water just limp and laying there. My mother attempted CPR and was successful in resuscitating him even though she didn't really knkow what she was doing.

The second one was at a natural water park called Slide Rock in northern Arizona. The kid was thrashing around and needed help and I got him to dry land. I don't think anybody realized he was being serious.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Once, maybe twice, depending on how you look at it.  CPR on a woman who had done a lot of coke, rapidly, and quit breathing.  Brisk CPR, all is well, but after watching a similar incident years before I watched her closely for a while.  Sure enough, just like the last one, about 20 minutes later she goes limp.  CPR again, and while she was recovering I found her stash and destroyed it. She was madder then hell about that, refused to believe she'd had two MIs ("No, I just passed out!").
Girlfriend at the time, and for all the pain in the ass she was later I should have let her die.  But I couldn't do that, then or now.

1911fan  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Are we counting the people I DID NOT SHOOT?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes.

I found an unreported missing adult/suicide attempt. She was passed out in her car after taking 80 TylenolPM.  Had to bust the window to get her out of the car and into the ambulance.  ER staff said she would have died.  she later filed a complaint against me with IA for breaking her window.

Recently i stopped a car with a 14yo overdose victim in the back seat.  she was non responsive, sweating, pale and her heart rate was 158BPM. She had taken 12 soma with weed and vodka her friends were driving her home to "put her in bed."  Instead she was rushed to the hospital and the ER staff said she would have died if her friends had put her in bed. I did put a ticket in her pocket for drunk in public as its clear her parents were not going to get her the help she needed and I believed the intervention of the juvenile justice system via some counseling and drug/alcohol classess might help her.  her dad was furious about the ticket and spend over $2,000.00 on criminal defense attonies to fight the charge.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't know.

Have helped plenty of people in 'life threatening' situations, Would they have died, don't know.

Sure know when you haven't.
Last time was a Motor Vehicle Accident, Arrived on scene, Woman was unconscious, Beathing. While waiting for paramedics her Heart stopped, (ergo breathing stopped) she managed to resist all attempts to restart her.  We had Defib, 02, etc. (ie basic stuff with us)  but to no avail.   *Shrug*
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Pulled a drunken women off the Metro tracks at L'Enfant Station in DC....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Hiking up in the mountains at Philmont.  Ended up towing a 14 yr scout down a mountain about a mile on my back.  Put my coat on him to maintain his heat and about froze to death myself.  It was cold and windy.  I was 22 and in the best shape of my life, thank goodness.  He came around okay once we got him to a base camp after a few hours of warmth.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#25]
no
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes

it's a very humbling experience every time.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes.  And I can replay every one in my head.  

Unfortunately, the ones that didn't make it are even more vivid.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Saved three,  two chocking victims.  First one was my brother about 4 years ago and the second was about 2 months ago at Applebys.  Last one was actually the first one about 20 years ago.  Very elderly gal tripped and fell in shallow water but she could not right herself.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Navy Corpsman (HM8404/8427 Recon Doc)by trade for years, worked EMS/ER duty, Battalion Aid Stations, field deployments/operations.

I have saved several critically injured people over the years, but also have lost a few that will always haunt me.

I changed MOS to Military Police ( National Guard now) and Criminal Justice as a civilian profession and got away from emergency medicine all together.

I still maintain my  medical skills and certifications for SHTF but will never work as a first responder again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top