Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a lot of Bobbies in this neck of the woods wearing 'fatigue' style clothing. They're all black/dark-blue, and seem quite practical while still retaining the police appearance. I see no reason for them to be in camouflage. Only thing I don't like is that their badge/shield is printed onto the shirt, I think they should retain the real badge.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
At the local Sheriff Dept the CSIs, Accident Reconstructionists, and the CLU (covert lab unit, aka meth unit) guys get to wear a brown BDU styled uniform.  Everyone else still wears the traditional style uniform.  The BDUs are strictly a functional thing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I dig the BDU's.  I didn't know that policework was a vanity job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Im all for cotton uniforms, but mot military cut uniforms.  LEOs are far from military with a completely different job, when the military is patrolling Americas streets then I will say its ok for police to wear military style uniforms; because the SHTF and I want all my targets to look alike.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe the BDU's would be a lot better than wearing some cheesy polyester cheap shit
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
At the local Sheriff Dept the CSIs, Accident Reconstructionists, and the CLU (covert lab unit, aka meth unit) guys get to wear a brown BDU styled uniform.  Everyone else still wears the traditional style uniform.  The BDUs are strictly a functional thing.

Our Traffic Homicide Investigators (me being one of them) are issued one piece Navy Blue Jump suits to wear on call outs.  They look like flight suits with reflective wording and stripes on them along with our name and badge emroidered on the front.  These work pretty well.  I like the one peice design in keeping the glass and debris out, and the ripstop material repels broken glass better than a standard cotton T shirt.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Perhaps most LEOs are so obese the only thing they can wear are GP-Medium BDUs?

With 60% of Americans obese, I'm sure the percentange of LEO's is much less.

He's obviously mistaken those dirigibles that hang around gun shops and gun shows for police officers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very practical however does encourage a negative public image.

I sometimes wonder encouraging the us vs them image is wise and definately know most law abiding citizens don't care for the image of being in a war zone.  

Our founding fathers wisely separated the military from police for a reason.  

Tj

Now wearing a comfortable and functional uniform as opposed to an uncomfortable and impractical one is creating a negative public image?  Perhaps the negativity seen in the image is the result of looking through a distorted lens.

Some of you guys seem to be bothered by the most trivial things when it comes to LEOs.  It's just clothing after all...

A fairly large city near me switched back to blue "Officer Friendly" uniforms from their black tactical ninja suits so apparently there is something more to this perception than arfkom tinfoil hat nonsense.

I accidently bought some 5.11 uniform pants that I thought were regular 5.11 pants (doh!) and the material sucks (it's some kind of cheezy polyester) but the cut of the pants is fine, I've used them for 3 gun type type stuff and they work as well as BDUs but still look like regular pants, some have the side pocket, but that's so common in casual pants now that I don't think it stands out. The material is TERRIBLE, but the cut of the pants is more prefessional looking than BDUs and works just as well.

Any chance you could tell me which pants those were?  I like my regular 5.11s too, and was contemplating trying to sell the boss on switching to 5.11 uniform pants.  What's terrible about the material?  I really like the look of both the Class A and Class B pants.  It's a much more professional look than standard BDU style pants.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I can see wearing BDU's, they are more durable and lOTS more comfortable, but I dont see the point of a Patrol Officer/Deputy wearing CAMO, maybe green or brown but CAMO should be left to the TAAC/SWAT/ERT/TRT etc;
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not a LEO and have never been one.  I am friends with several and have 3 in my immediate family.  A couple of our local Co units have gone to either the blue or black BDU uniforms.  All of those guys were very happy to change to something that comfortable.  I have always questioned dressing a public servant who may be called upon to "get physical" at a moments notice in what  amounted to a formal suit.  Seems to me they can have the button down with tie for formal dress occasions but real world clothes for duty.  JMO
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It would be trivial to tailor a uniform that looks formal but is very comfortable. Unfortunately we seem to be addicted to god-awful cheap fabrics that feel awful no matter how they are cut. I remember the slithery cheapness of my old rent-a-cop uniform. The entire thing was 100% polyester. It felt like I was wearing a Hefty bag after an hour or two. I suspect many cops favor the BDU because they dislike the cheaply made dress uniforms they used to wear.

Galland

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

well, you certainly live up to your name...at least the second half...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I dunno..

As a member of the public, I LIKE seeing the old fashioned police uniforms. A shirt, tie,  trousers, polished shoes, and a smoky the bear hat present a profesional appearance to the public. BDU's do not present the proper image. Sure the uniforms cost more, but some things are worth the cost.

Police uniforms are part of a tradition of profesionalism in civilian public service. LEO's should be proud of what a good looking uniform stands for.

If I am going to be out in public for any length of time, uncle sam frowns on me wearing my BDU's. Lunch at BK is OK, but not a trip to a shopping mall after work...
This is for good reason. BDU's are a utility uniform in the .mil. They do not present the most profesional appearance to the public.

We do not need military-like police officers!
The military's job is to engage the enemy and ruin their day in any way possible.
Police are here to serve and protect people.

When we have police that lean toward the “Crush, Kill and Destroy” mentality, then the public will quite understandably react in a (much) less than supportive way.

In an adversarial relationship between the general population and police, everyone loses. Joe citizen ends up on the losing end of the nightstick, and cops end up very alone out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With 60% of Americans obese, I'm sure the percentange of LEO's is much less.

He's obviously mistaken those dirigibles that hang around gun shops and gun shows for police officers.

Now that that is out of the way, I have no problem with functional uniforms for LE.
Gotta keep with the times, ya know?
I think a Khaki, or Blue cotton utility uniform, like BDUs, but cut to look slightly more "neat"
Basically - look at the Border Patrol.
Utilitarian, but with a positive image, that clearly says "Law Enforcement" not "JBT"

You'll forgive me if I feel uncomfortable with black BDUs and bloused jump boots on LE.
Kinda puts out a negative image.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dunno..

As a member of the public, I LIKE seeing the old fashioned police uniforms. A shirt, tie,  trousers, polished shoes, and a smoky the bear hat present a profesional appearance to the public. BDU's do not present the proper image. Sure the uniforms cost more, but some things are worth the cost.

Police uniforms are part of a tradition of profesionalism in civilian public service. LEO's should be proud of what a good looking uniform stands for.

If I am going to be out in public for any length of time, uncle sam frowns on me wearing my BDU's. Lunch at BK is OK, but not a trip to a shopping mall after work...
This is for good reason. BDU's are a utility uniform in the .mil. They do not present the most profesional appearance to the public.

The military's job is to engage the enemy and ruin their day in any way possible.

When we have police that lean toward the “Crush, Kill and Destroy” mentality, then the public will quite understandably react in a (much) less than supportive way.

In an adversarial relationship between the general population and police, everyone loses. Joe citizen ends up on the losing end of the nightstick, and cops end up very alone out there.

Just gotta look at the middle east for the effects of overly militarized police.  Course here they have to be or they are dead.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dunno..

What does this have to do with a uniform?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think the traditional uniforms are a bit restrictive but look great, but the BDU's are functional but for the most part look like crap... especially when coupled with a duty belt and worn by folks who just wash and wear the black or blue BDU's.

A perfect compromise is something like what some agencies near me have adopted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001VRXVC.01-A33W5H2BXHFT6N._AA200_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/dtdistributors_1885_6939560]us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/dtdistributors_1885_6939560

Not as baggy as BDU's, the shirt tucks in for a sharp appearance and better fit and function when worn with a duty belt, but still as durable and comfortable as BDU's. And when worn with patches, badge and metal  name tag looks more traditional and quite frankly very sharp.

Cost? About 15-20% more than comperable quality BDU's, still much less than traditional uniforms. Worth the extra bit for the professional appearance and enhanced utility thay provide. Avaialable in black, blue and brown.

This I agree with, either a short or long sleeve version of the top.  I would tend to think a khaki or grey would be a better choice than black, black gets hot fast but I guess its up to the department to protect against heat injury.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It would be trivial to tailor a uniform that looks formal but is very comfortable. Unfortunately we seem to be addicted to god-awful cheap fabrics that feel awful no matter how they are cut. I remember the slithery cheapness of my old rent-a-cop uniform. The entire thing was 100% polyester. It felt like I was wearing a Hefty bag after an hour or two. I suspect many cops favor the BDU because they dislike the cheaply made dress uniforms they used to wear.

Galland

You should feel a new set of ACUs, they feel pretty cheap before you wash them a few times.  Not soft at all like a new set of BDUs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Haven’t you heard? Law enforcement officers are no longer civilians, they’ve joined the ranks of the armed forces.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Haven’t you heard? Law enforcement officers are no longer civilians, they’ve joined the ranks of the armed forces.

Yup, all seem to be holier than thou...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#25]
There is a Sheriff's Department around here that has gone with the dark BDU pants, bloused boot, polo/golf shirt, and a baseball cap. Looks very comfortable at least. We have Dark Blue ODUs(Operational Dress Uniform, shirt tucked in) in the USCG, alot more comfortable and durable than the polyester blend crap they used to make us wear for work/utility uniforms. The dark colored pants are allright looking but I still laugh when I see Camo on LEOs in the middle of a city or something.

Look at all the pretty bushes in front of this house

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#26]
They remind me of the Dallas SWAT clown commandoes minus the APC
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does this have to do with a uniform?

Clothes make the man! Didn't you ever see the Bugs Bunny where Elmer is chasing Bugs and a truck full of hats dumps hats all over, everytime a hat falls on their head their personality changes!

Actually they do. Imagine stripping down naked in front of another man. Now imagine doing it in front of a man with a white smock and a stethoscope.

There have been plenty of studies that the clothes an actor wears do indeed make the man and affect their personality.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The dark colored pants are allright looking but I still laugh when I see Camo on LEOs in the middle of a city or something.

Look at all the pretty bushes in front of this house

Heheheh. Just brilliant.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Woodland is a little silly for everyday wear, but I really don't care what they wear.

As long as it's not assless chaps.

I think that technically all chaps are assless. Otherwise they'd be pants.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Wow, 4 pages of discussion.  Really, all we are talking about is pants.  Is it really that big a deal?

Maybe we could start another abortion thread instead?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I agree with the blue/brown/black BDU's being a more comfortable and practical uniform. I was issued blue BDU's when I was working the street as a Medic. My whole reason for the post was the woodland camo, and my thoughts on it's look and image they project.
Don't take this as a bashing thread, a LEO job is tough and thank less most of the time. The mentioned uniform had the name tapes and all just like the mill. No badge just a sewn on badge with the department name.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Problem is that a good majority of PDs and police are nothing more than uber-tactical wanna-be's. Most have alittle more training than your average mall-ninja and a limited understanding of the laws they have been hired to enforce. One of my Privates has more weapons training than the average police officer. This isnt necessarily the officers fault, but simply a reflection of their limited budget. This continued movement to para-military police forces really bothers me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Problem is that a good majority of PDs and police are nothing more than uber-tactical wanna-be's. Most have alittle more training than your average mall-ninja and a limited understanding of the laws they have been hired to enforce. One of my Privates has more weapons training than the average police officer. This isnt necessarily the officers fault, but simply a reflection of their limited budget. This continued movement to para-military police forces really bothers me.

Very insightful.
The exception are the officers that are really into training and go on the SRT/SWAT-type stuff and the big-city cops that work the tough beats and fight all the time.
I was 11B (light infantry) with all the hooah badges before I tried my hand at police work. I was actually resented by my superiors for the training I had. The people I worked with had no idea how to clear a hallway or enter a room. When I tried to share what I knew, they basically told me "You've been here 3 months so you don't know shit. STFU".

Anyhoo, it all comes down to one thing: FM 7-8.
All the high speed tactical stuff SRT/SWAT units do is all in that one book whether they know it or not. If you truley have an understanding of what's in FM 7-8 and can apply it, you qualify for any SWAT team in America.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You can prefer all you want

I would prefer to be a millionaire...

Since every officers uniform allowance is only so many dollars, it is natural that they would want uniforms in a material that will last against the rigors of ther job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked him about the uniform, and his reply was "this is now our issue"
I know that county has the highest Meth. Lab problem in the state, but silent BDU's (no noise when he moved) boots matched the BDU's perfect.
WTF when did theses guys become UBER MILATARY?
Hell the only time we could wear BDU's was when we had to crawl in the mud for training.
My rant for the night

Where you been, Bro? The militarization of America's police agencies didn't start last week!

No shit. Even the "traditional" wool police uniform was originally militasry.  So was the 1911 and the M1 carbine that were used by police for decades.  You want to look at the "militarization" of LE you better look back at least 100 years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Problem is that a good majority of PDs and police are nothing more than uber-tactical wanna-be's. Most have alittle more training than your average mall-ninja and a limited understanding of the laws they have been hired to enforce. One of my Privates has more weapons training than the average police officer.

60% of the cops in my department have at least 4yrs active duty military service.  30% are currently in the reserves or NG.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#39]
AR15fan
Post Number :: 19149

CA, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Problem is that a good majority of PDs and police are nothing more than uber-tactical wanna-be's. Most have alittle more training than your average mall-ninja and a limited understanding of the laws they have been hired to enforce. One of my Privates has more weapons training than the average police officer.

60% of the cops in my department have at least 4yrs active duty military service. 30% are currently in the reserves or NG.

And? Are they combat arms or Poges types? How long was their break in service(ie skills rusty)? NG and Reserves do not qualifiy IWQ as much as active duty does, + relective fire, CCO, ACOG, ETC.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Wow, 4 pages of discussion.  Really, all we are talking about is pants.  Is it really that big a deal?

It's a big deal to those who don't like cops apparently.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a big deal to those who don't like cops apparently.

Ah, you throw out the obvious troll baiting, its actually a pretty decent discusssion on service wear and public relations.  

After all, what do you care that somebody dislikes cops cause he got a ticket once or a cop wouldn't take their insults face to face.

Damn it. Busted again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very insightful.
The exception are the officers that are really into training and go on the SRT/SWAT-type stuff and the big-city cops that work the tough beats and fight all the time.
I was 11B (light infantry) with all the hooah badges before I tried my hand at police work. I was actually resented by my superiors for the training I had. The people I worked with had no idea how to clear a hallway or enter a room. When I tried to share what I knew, they basically told me "You've been here 3 months so you don't know shit. STFU".

-

I left active duty in 01 and found the system we use on the police side of the house to do warrant services (raid for lack of a better term) much more effective than what I learned in the military. I dont if things have changed much since then, but I know our methods work pretty damn well.

When it comes to slow delibrate style clears, I stick with what I've learned at various courses I've attnded.  The basics taught in our academy are decent, but by no menas the best way to get the job done.  Now that I help teach that block of training, I'm trying to pass along what I know to the new guys (especially in the area of low light operations).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Also let me add that my original comments about BDUs were in reference to blue color BDUs; not woodland ones.  I dont see much use in woodland outside of very few select "tactical" type operations.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Pic resized.

To me, that is a good balance between functionality and professionalism in terms of a uniform.
The material is BDUish, but the style looks professional.
How does everyone else feel?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#47]
well, lets see:
1) It's the same style of uniform that I currently wear and there seems to be no additonal pockets of any type.

2) Metal badge and nameplate are a no-go for high(er) intensity policing. If the uniform is to be truly utilitarian, a cloth badge replicating the metal one and an embroidered nametape would be preferable.

3) Leather duty gear is not optimal. too heavy. Synthetic, a-la Sfariland or nylon duty gear is the way to go.

4) The color is good. My agency however , wears solid grey with a balck stripe on the trousers. A grey bdu style uniform would look okay, but it show dirt easily, like my Bravo's already do.

Overall I would give the uniform depicted a C-; decent but not really what the doctor ordered.
Oh, and by the way, that dude needs to press his frickin' uniform. He looks like a rag-bag.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
well, lets see:
1) It's the same style of uniform that I currently wear and there seems to be no additonal pockets of any type.
Agreed on the pockets.
Uniform is not polyester, is BDU like fabric, and is cut like work clothes, not like a formal suit.

2) Metal badge and nameplate are a no-go for high(er) intensity policing. If the uniform is to be truly utilitarian, a cloth badge replicating the metal one and an embroidered nametape would be preferable.
I agree on the nameplate, disagree on the badge.
The badge worn should be metal.

3) Leather duty gear is not optimal. too heavy. Synthetic, a-la Sfariland or nylon duty gear is the way to go.
Agreed - I have seen USBP officers/agents (guys in the pic) wearing both.
I think the guy in that pic just likes leather.

4) The color is good. My agency however , wears solid grey with a balck stripe on the trousers. A grey bdu style uniform would look okay, but it show dirt easily, like my Bravo's already do.
If it is gonna show dirt, it might as well be made to get dirty!

Overall I would give the uniform depicted a C-; decent but not really what the doctor ordered.
Oh, and by the way, that dude needs to press his frickin' uniform. He looks like a rag-bag.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I dunno..

I agree.  The police are civilians not soldiers.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top