Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 3:42:33 PM EDT
LB454 proposals

The Concealed Handgun Permit Act, LB454, was introduced in January 2005 and re-introduced last month by State Sen. Jeanne Combs of Milligan and 23 co-sponsors, including senators Ray Janssen of Nickerson, Chris Langemeier of Schuyler and Carol Hudkins of Malcom.

LB454 proposes to authorize eligible individuals to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun in Nebraska.

Under the proposal, to obtain a permit, an individual must apply in person at any Nebraska State Patrol Troop headquarters or office provided by the patrol for purposes of accepting such an application. The applicant shall present identification, submit two sets of fingerprints for a criminal history background check and pay an application fee of $100.

After completion of the applicant's criminal background check, the NSP issues a concealed handgun permit within five days if the applicant meets all the following requirements:

* Be at least 21 years of age.

* Not be prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law.

* Possess the eyesight required to obtain a drivers license.

* Not have pleaded guilty to or been convicted of a felony or crime of violence.

* Not have been found in the previous five years to be a mentally ill dangerous person under the Nebraska Mental Health Commitment Act.

* Reside in the state for at least 180 days.

* Have no violations of any law relating to firearms, unlawful use of a weapon, or controlled substances within the previous five years.

* Not be on probation, parole or house arrest or work release.

* Be a citizen of the United States.

* Provide proof of completing a firearms training and safety course approved by the Nebraska State Patrol.

The training and safety course, regulated by the NSP, will include, but not be limited to:

* Knowledge and safe handling of a handgun and handgun ammunition.

* Safe handgun shooting fundamentals.

* Demonstration of competency with a handgun with respect to the minimum safety and training requirements.

* Knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to the use of a handgun, use of a handgun in self-defense, and laws relating to justifiable homicide and the various degrees of assault.

* Knowledge of ways to avoid a criminal attack and to defuse or control a violent confrontation.

* Knowledge of proper storing practices for handguns and ammunition, including storage practices which would reduce the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

A person or entity conducting a handgun training and safety course, and the course, shall be approved by the NSP.

A person denied a permit may appeal to the district court of the judicial district of the county in which he or she resides or the county in which he or she applied for the permit.

Permit holders are allowed to carry concealed weapons anywhere in Nebraska, except the following locations:

* Law enforcement agency offices.

* Detention facility, jail or prison.

* Courtroom or building which contains a courtroom.

* Polling place during a bona fide election.

* Meeting of a governing body of a political subdivision.

* Meeting of the legislature or legislative committee.

* Financial institutions.

* Professional, semiprofessional or collegiate athletic events.

* School grounds or vehicles or sponsored activities or athletic events.

* Place of worship.

* Emergency room or trauma center.

* Political rally or fund-raiser.

* Establishment having a liquor licenses which generates more than 50 percent of its revenue from alcohol sales.

* Any place where possession of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law.

* A place where the person, persons, entiity or entities in control of the property, or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns onto the place or premises

* Into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law, rrule or regulation.

Permits are valid for a period of five years and may be renewed through the NSP for an additional five years if the applicant remains in compliance with the requirements of the act. The bill also provides that the NSP or any agent, employee or member thereof, is completely immune from civil liability for injuries to people or property related to the issuance or revocation of a permit.

Permit holders will be registered in NSP and Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles databases.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
LB454 proposals

The Concealed Handgun Permit Act, LB454, was introduced in January 2005 and re-introduced last month by State Sen. Jeanne Combs of Milligan and 23 co-sponsors, including senators Ray Janssen of Nickerson, Chris Langemeier of Schuyler and Carol Hudkins of Malcom.

LB454 proposes to authorize eligible individuals to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun in Nebraska.

Under the proposal, to obtain a permit, an individual must apply in person at any Nebraska State Patrol Troop headquarters or office provided by the patrol for purposes of accepting such an application. The applicant shall present identification, submit two sets of fingerprints for a criminal history background check and pay an application fee of $100.

After completion of the applicant's criminal background check, the NSP issues a concealed handgun permit within five days if the applicant meets all the following requirements:

* Be at least 21 years of age.

* Not be prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law.

* Possess the eyesight required to obtain a drivers license.

* Not have pleaded guilty to or been convicted of a felony or crime of violence.

* Not have been found in the previous five years to be a mentally ill dangerous person under the Nebraska Mental Health Commitment Act.

* Reside in the state for at least 180 days.

* Have no violations of any law relating to firearms, unlawful use of a weapon, or controlled substances within the previous five years.

* Not be on probation, parole or house arrest or work release.

* Be a citizen of the United States.

* Provide proof of completing a firearms training and safety course approved by the Nebraska State Patrol.

The training and safety course, regulated by the NSP, will include, but not be limited to:

* Knowledge and safe handling of a handgun and handgun ammunition.

* Safe handgun shooting fundamentals.

* Demonstration of competency with a handgun with respect to the minimum safety and training requirements.

* Knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to the use of a handgun, use of a handgun in self-defense, and laws relating to justifiable homicide and the various degrees of assault.

* Knowledge of ways to avoid a criminal attack and to defuse or control a violent confrontation.

* Knowledge of proper storing practices for handguns and ammunition, including storage practices which would reduce the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

A person or entity conducting a handgun training and safety course, and the course, shall be approved by the NSP.

A person denied a permit may appeal to the district court of the judicial district of the county in which he or she resides or the county in which he or she applied for the permit.

Permit holders are allowed to carry concealed weapons anywhere in Nebraska, except the following locations:

* Law enforcement agency offices.

* Detention facility, jail or prison.

* Courtroom or building which contains a courtroom.

* Polling place during a bona fide election.

* Meeting of a governing body of a political subdivision.

* Meeting of the legislature or legislative committee.

* Financial institutions.

* Professional, semiprofessional or collegiate athletic events.

* School grounds or vehicles or sponsored activities or athletic events.

* Place of worship.

* Emergency room or trauma center.

* Political rally or fund-raiser.

* Establishment having a liquor licenses which generates more than 50 percent of its revenue from alcohol sales.

* Any place where possession of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law.

* A place where the person, persons, entiity or entities in control of the property, or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns onto the place or premises

* Into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law, rrule or regulation.

Permits are valid for a period of five years and may be renewed through the NSP for an additional five years if the applicant remains in compliance with the requirements of the act. The bill also provides that the NSP or any agent, employee or member thereof, is completely immune from civil liability for injuries to people or property related to the issuance or revocation of a permit.

Permit holders will be registered in NSP and Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles databases.

Why can't we just get national recriprocity and it can all be over with?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell, I wish that was all I had to meet to carry here.

Iowa sucks, but at least we aren't Illinois.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Because states like Nebraska and Ill need to legalize it first.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
So what do you think Ernie will come up with this year to ammend to it in an attempt to kill it off?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Well what I noticed was the huge off limits list.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Not all that bad of an off-limits list when you consider the alternative for Nebraska is nothing. Don't understand the financial institutions though. My bank loves it when I'm in there. Manager keeps asking me why I'm not there when they need me. I keep telling her it wouldn't do any good if I was I'm not a cop. She just flutters her eyes and smiles. She does it with my wife standing there too. My wifes hates her.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The bill is too restrictive.  I don't even give a shit about it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's what Michigan said for decades until they finally passed a restrictive bill and then worked to improve it.  Look back at pretty much every state that passed a concealed carry bill and it started out restrictive but over the years they worked to change it.  Would you rather have a bill in hand that you can work to change or a dream that will never get passed?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what Michigan said for decades until they finally passed a restrictive bill and then worked to improve it.  Look back at pretty much every state that passed a concealed carry bill and it started out restrictive but over the years they worked to change it.  Would you rather have a bill in hand that you can work to change or a dream that will never get passed?

You don't understand how the NE legislature works.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That's the big problem here in NE with this bill.  In general public they don't care one way or another.  People who really care about this already realize they can carry as the current laws are written, so they don't want to put a lot of effort in getting a bill passed that is just going to add complications. A simple bill would much be prefered.

The best thing that can happen in NE legislature is that they spend so much time fighting they never get anything done.

Amen...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
TAG....... I recently (ok a year ago) moved here from VA..... It just dosn't feel right to go outside with my SFA 1911 on. It got to be When I forgot it, it was like my wallet or cell wasn't on me.... something just didn't feel right.  We sure need a bill here...... and I've been writing my people too.

-JIM-
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]
CRAP.....as a former HUsker fan stuck in the land of Missery.......I wish NE would get this shit straight.  Pass the damn law by now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
WI had the same problem. but it seems to get closer and closer every year.

we need to get rid of Doyle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on 2nd paragraph.
In New Mexico we worked 10+ years to get a CCW law passed... then hired a lobbyist who got it done in about 1 1/2 years! First bill lost, too restrictive... 2nd bill won, but was very restrictive (e.g. you must qualify for EVERY type*/caliber you wish to carry or MIGHT carry.  The 25 year minimum age limit prevented reciprocity with other states.

This year, the law was modified: we lowered the age to 21, got reciprocity with about 20 other states, and now the qualification is with the LARGEST type AND caliber. So with my .45 ACP and my friend's .44 Magnum revolver, I can now carry anything smaller in those types. (Still cannot carry a derringer.)

So remember: Politics is, after all, the art of the possible.

Unless you live in Kalifornia.

*3 types of handguns in NM: Semi-auto, revolver, and derringer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
its becaue we have a fucking unicameral so there is no balance of power between Urban and rural areas what Lincoln and Omaha wants it gets
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hell, I wish that was all I had to meet to carry here.

Iowa sucks, but at least we aren't Illinois.

Trust me IOWA SUCKS!  You must be lucky enough to be in one of the good counties where the Sheriff "feels like" issuing permits...  :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top