BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Non-violent felons should.  Violent felons should not.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that paper felonies are the exception to the rule.

I have friend that screwed up  and got nailed on tax evation charge, ended up being a Federal Felony and now he can no longer own firearms or even be in possesion of firearms

I didnt vote because Yes is too vague, it should include another for non-violent
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]

People do dumb stuff, even good people make mistakes, particularly when they're young.

I'm glad to see the majority here seem to agree.

In that vein, consider this option.
In most states, drivers rack up points against their drivers record when they commit violations. And the points disappear after so long: usually 1 point per year.

Why not have the same system for criminals?

For a misdemeanor, 1/4 to 2/3 points, depending upon the severity.
For a minor felony, 1 point.
For a major felony, 2-3 points.
For murder, rape, arson, or such: 5-6 points.
The convict doesn't get out of jail until he has served as many years as he has points. And after being out of jail for a year, his points start to disappear, just as in the driver's record.

BIG PLUS: if you get 10 or more points, you go hang . Your choice of gallows, gunshot to the heart, lethal injection, or guillotine*.

Technically, you could get the death sentance for jaywalking. And why not? If you are causing that much mayhem in a single year (causing people to brake and swerve, and cause their own accidents because they don't want to hit you), then why shouldn't you be punished?

*the guillotine was the high point in humane execution; everything else has been to clean up the act of killing the criminal FOR THE SAKE OF THOSE WHO WATCH (and not doing a very good job of it), and not to prevent pain and suffering for the convict.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
To throw fuel on the fire, what do we do about the 18 year old senior in HS that has sex with the 15 year old sophomore and gets put away for statutory rape?  Execute him?  Have him register as a sex offender for the rest of his life?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

People do dumb stuff, even good people make mistakes, particularly when they're young.

I'm glad to see the majority here seem to agree.

In that vein, consider this option.
In most states, drivers rack up points against their drivers record when they commit violations. And the points disappear after so long: usually 1 point per year.

Why not have the same system for criminals?

For a misdemeanor, 1/4 to 2/3 points, depending upon the severity.
For a minor felony, 1 point.
For a major felony, 2-3 points.
For murder, rape, arson, or such: 5-6 points.
The convict doesn't get out of jail until he has served as many years as he has points. And after being out of jail for a year, his points start to disappear, just as in the driver's record.

BIG PLUS: if you get 10 or more points, you go hang . Your choice of gallows, gunshot to the heart, lethal injection, or guillotine*.

Technically, you could get the death sentance for jaywalking. And why not? If you are causing that much mayhem in a single year (causing people to brake and swerve, and cause their own accidents because they don't want to hit you), then why shouldn't you be punished?

*the guillotine was the high point in humane execution; everything else has been to clean up the act of killing the criminal FOR THE SAKE OF THOSE WHO WATCH (and not doing a very good job of it), and not to prevent pain and suffering for the convict.

That's actually very similar to the way the WA justice system works, there is a points scale, and after 10 years the points no longer count towards the sentencing guidelines.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the thing... They NEVER do their sentance. Judges are sentanceing them to so little time its rediculous!!!! This is because the Prisons are overcrowded, and they don't want to spend the money to build more. Many times Ive seen people charged with 8 counts of armed robbery and a huge list of past felons get 6 months in a minum security resort in the county jail.

In Michigan the kid that drove drunk and hit and killed a Bloomfield Twp Police officer got ONLY 30 days in Jail WITH WORK RELEASE!!!!!
They NEVER do their time!!!!!!! Fuck Felons!!! They make us all look bad!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that after getting out of prison, you have paid your debt to society. You should be licenseable, bondable, able to own arms, and vote. Anything less gives the convicted man less reason to stay clean-if they think they will always be treated as a con, why change?

Further, if the criminal hasn't been redeemed in prison and is not ready to reintegrate with society, tehy should never be released in the first place.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck'em. They should have known better than to be so fucking stupid in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned if you violate someone else's rights you forfeit your own.

PS... I don't see people like G. Gordon Liddy or Tim Allen or Charles Dutton complaining about not being able to work at McDonald's.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a problem with the term "felon".  No person who steals a car or sells dope should be lumped together with rapists, murderers, and the like.  

That's your opinion.    My opinion is that dope dealers should be treated the same as attempted murderers.      And someone who steals a car should be treated as a violent criminal.

You do know that horse thieves used to be shot, right?     I don't see how stealing a car is much different.

I'd put car theft in with violent felonies, just like drug dealing  even if they aren't fighting.  That's why I would say "case by case", to have differentiation between true "paper crimes" and others - I look at car theft as a physical act, with a certain degree of violence in the sense of some kind of "breaking" being needed, and which very likely would be furthered by actual violence should the perp  be interrupted.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 relatives dealing with this right now. They are brothers. We'll call them Tony and Rob.

Tony was going to get married. His soon to be wife, Jane, was pregnant with their second child. A few weeks before the wedding they had a baby shower. They live in a condo so this took place at the party house. For some reason no one can remember Jane and her younger sister, Kim, got into a big argument. Next thing you know Tony and Kim's boyfriend, Mike, are getting into it. Kim and Mike were asked to leave.

An hour or so later Tony went back to the condo to get more red punch for his guests. Someone had unlocked the door. He went in and his condo was trashed. The wedding dress was on the floor with red punch dumped all over it and the carpet in the whole condo. Kim has a key. Mike and his friends came back and did this.

Tony called his brother Rob to drive him to Kim and Mikes apartment. Rob stayed in the car and Tony went up knocking on the door telling Mike to come out so he could kick his ass. Mike wouldn't open the door. At this point Tony is really pissed, he kicked the door. The door flew open and Mike jumps out with a gun to Tony's head. Tony and Rob go home. A few minutes later the police show up and arrest them both. They are charged with breaking and entering.

They bail out and get lawyers. Their mother blows $20,000. The plea bargain they get is to plead guilty and get several years probation with no jail time. Both lawyers persuade them to do it or they will go to prison.

Now they are both convicted felons because one of them kicked in some pussy assed punks apartment door. They both lost their jobs and can't get new ones. They lost their guns. They can't even go hunting ever again. As far as I am concerned they got screwed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now they are both convicted felons because one of them kicked in some pussy assed punks apartment door. They both lost their jobs and can't get new ones. They lost their guns. They can't even go hunting ever again. As far as I am concerned they got screwed.

Think before you act and don't get pissed when you get nailed for knee jerk reactions.
I'm guessing Tony wishes he would have just called the cops when he found his apartment trashed.

There's a right way and a wrong way to handle a situation. Not to be a dick but it sounds like he chose the wrong way. My first reaction would have been the same... kick someone's ass.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think before you act and don't get pissed when you get nailed for knee jerk reactions.
I'm guessing Tony wishes he would have just called the cops when he found his apartment trashed.

There's a right way and a wrong way to handle a situation. Not to be a dick but it sounds like he chose the wrong way. My first reaction would have been the same... kick someone's ass.

Talk about speaking out of both corners of your mouth.

Compare this post to the one about 3 post's above.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Talk about speaking out of both corners of your mouth.
Compare this post to the one about 3 post's above.

How do you figure that... in both cases the point is... you gte what you deserve. Don't fuck up and you don't have to worry about getting fucked.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top