Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 10:47:09 PM EDT
It's 2:40AM on my night off and I'm up doing laundry, trying to be quiet so I don't wake my girlfriend in the other room. I'll go to bed about 4-ish if I'm lucky, but right now I'm wide awake.  I feel like I've wasted my weekend because I sleep most of the day and everything is closing by the time I get up.  Sometimes I hate being on opposite hours from the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes it's nice though...

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I know how you feel. I can no longer go outside, even on cloudy days, without shades on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm trying to figure out what that domokun is humping. Hash brown patty?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I too work 5 days of mids. Personally, i try to reset myself on the weekends. When I get off friday morning, I'll take a little nap, usually till noon, and then go to bed at around 11pm. I work my p/t firefighter shifts saturday eves and sunday days, so i'll take a nap before i go back into work sunday at 11pm.

Some people can reset themselves like this, others, like my GF, cannot. It all depends on you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I work nights, usually get home close to midnight.

It's nice because there are fewer people, sometimes less work, differential pay, and almost no interaction with supervisors. Of course, it means I sleep around 2-3 AM and get up around 10 if I'm lucky, and I don't get to see my two hot little co-workers as they work the morning.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sometimes it's nice though...

Aviator

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
For the last 24 years, I've worked about 3/4 of the time on mids.  

I got use to it.  I can sleep anytime, anywhere.  

Life sucks for me.    

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know how you feel. I can no longer go outside, even on cloudy days, without shades on.

My glasses automatically turn into sunglasses
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm trying to get ON night shift where I work.

Less people and the BS they bring to deal with. $1/hr shift differential. Less to do.

I've been staying up all night and sleeping all day lately anyway. Might as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I love it.  I work 5pm-1am.   I usually stay up all night thursday when I get home (I have fri-sat off) and get an early start on my weekend.  I like riding my bike or jogging at 2am when there's noone else around except the animals.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That's me, but no complaints about the hours here.

I usually wake up around 1 and that's plenty of time to do stuff. Even on my work days when I have to be in at 6.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
My work hours are 10P-6A, I usually go to bed about 8:30 in the morning, getting up around 3 or 4.  I actully like working nights for many of the reasons already listed (less interaction with suits, 10% differential, good for going to school etc.) but occasionally I just want to have normal hours. I've worked nights off and on for the last 20 years. My favorite was working 7P-3A, as I'd be able to get up by noon and have a decent day before going to work.  I've been on the 10-6 shift for the last 2 years at my current job.  The weather hasn't helped this week, just feel rather cooped up, and having the lil lady staying over makes me want to be able to sleep on her schedule, since she works days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#13]
man no problems with nights for me, I go in at 9:30pm and usally get off at 8am, sometimes have to stay till 12pm though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I'v worked Swing for 15 yrs (3:15-11:45 PM)and wouldn't do anything else. No worries about oversleeping. I don't like getting up early,+ if I'm going to stay up all night,I'd better be having a helluva more fun than I am at work! I tried Graveyard for a month or two,but I'd wake up early evening and feel guilty because I'd slept all day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#15]

I love working nights.  I don't have to deal with as many assholes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's 2:40AM on my night off and I'm up doing laundry, trying to be quiet so I don't wake my girlfriend in the other room. I'll go to bed about 4-ish if I'm lucky, but right now I'm wide awake.  I feel like I've wasted my weekend because I sleep most of the day and everything is closing by the time I get up.  Sometimes I hate being on opposite hours from the rest of the world.

I've been doing the 11pm to 7am shift for nearly 3 yrs & know exactly what you mean. It really sucks sometimes, but sometimes,........ it just kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#17]
wife used to call me a vampire.i would take black platic and cover bedroom windows and not get up while the sun was out.
i hated it but now i work 3pm to 11pm and would not give it up.after 5 no real management left in the building.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to like working second shift but after over 20 years of it I'm sick and tired of it. It really takes a lot of effort to not stay up all night puttering around the house (and arfcom) then not getting up early enough to do anything during the day. I hardly ever get to socialize with other people. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't work with 3 other jackasses.

I feel your pain man. I had to get up early today to take a friend to have a colonoscopy. She had to be there at 0630. I got off at midnight and could not get to sleep so I've been up all night. I feel crappy right now, too crappy to do anything but not tired enough yet to sleep.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The combo of midnights + 12 hour shifts is kickin my arse.   Get there at 6 and can't leave until the clock says 6 again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I hated working 2nd shift.  I wouldn't do it again.  It's not worth it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Wish I worked nights....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top