BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:03:56 PM EDT
US Navy to develop fibre lasers
(from janes.com)
By Andrew Koch JDW Contributing Strategic Editor
Washington, DC

Within a decade the US Navy wants to develop a high-powered laser small enough to fit on a tactical combat aircraft and powerful enough to destroy fleeing ground targets, a senior service scientist said.

According to Michael Deitchman, head of the Air Warfare and Weapons Department at the Office of Naval Research, within 10 years the navy wants to develop a 100 kW fibre laser in a pod, which is able to be hung under tactical aircraft such as F-18E/F Super Hornets.

The laser, carried in a composite 1,817 litre external fuel-tank pod on the aircraft's centreline pylon, would weigh about 1,814 kg (4,000 lb) and be able to strike 20 targets in 60 seconds before needing to be recharged.

The navy and other armed services have been developing solid-state lasers (SSLs) as a future aircraft weapon, but Deitchman noted that fibre lasers offer better thermal management qualities and are less complex than solid-state devices. The army and air force continue work on scaling up the power of SSLs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Star Wars is really here  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Parallel development to the AFs Solid State Laser.

And actually a fiber optic laser IS a form of solid state laser.

Forget the pod that F-18s and other older types would use.  In the F-35 it would eliminate the need for a ball turret of some kind that the SSL the AF is working on needs

Instead a single laser power source could be switched to shoot through optical windows scattered across the airframe, and the laser light rapidly switched from one port to another.  360deg coverage could be possible.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
(from janes.com)
Washington, DC

Within a decade the US Navy wants to develop a high-powered laser small enough to fit on a tactical combat aircraft and powerful enough to destroy fleeing ground targets, a senior service scientist said.

According to Michael Deitchman, head of the Air Warfare and Weapons Department at the Office of Naval Research, within 10 years the navy wants to develop a 100 kW fibre laser in a pod, which is able to be hung under tactical aircraft such as F-18E/F Super Hornets.

The laser, carried in a composite 1,817 litre external fuel-tank pod on the aircraft's centreline pylon, would weigh about 1,814 kg (4,000 lb) and be able to strike 20 targets in 60 seconds before needing to be recharged.

The navy and other armed services have been developing solid-state lasers (SSLs) as a future aircraft weapon, but Deitchman noted that fibre lasers offer better thermal management qualities and are less complex than solid-state devices. The army and air force continue work on scaling up the power of SSLs.

Why only "fleeing" targets?

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds cool and all,but to say it kicks more ass than a Chuck Norris POD is a bit of a stretch,no
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(from janes.com)
Washington, DC

Enemy pilot: They had friggen' lasers! I swear! We barely made it!
Enemy commander: Horseshit, toss him in the brig!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
With our lasers, UAVs, combat robots, etc., the Mexicans that will be in control of the United States by 2050 will be damn near unstoppable!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(from janes.com)
Washington, DC

Who would dare to stand fast against the mighty power of a SuperHornet with a friggen LAZER beam?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#9]
  Couldn't  the enemy counter a laser by issuing a big mirror?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#10]

hornets with frikkin laser on their frikkin pylons!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
  Couldn't  the enemy counter a laser by issuing a big mirror?

That depends on what spectrum the laser is opperating in, most solid state lasers, and fiber optic lasers as well (note the non limey spelling) produce beams in the mid to high infrared, so o a mirror wouldn't really do you any good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
IBTV (InBeforeTheVito)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Enlighten me:  How does a laser "kill" a target?

Wouldn't it merely punch pin-hole sized holes in things if it strikes them long enough (and isn't reflected with a mirror-like countermeasure?)

John
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wouldn't it merely punch pin-hole sized holes in things if it strikes them long enough (and isn't reflected with a mirror-like countermeasure?)

John

Kinetic energy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Chris Knight: "It's like lasing a stick of dynamite!"
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

Kinetic energy.

Isnt heat energy?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
With our lasers, UAVs, combat robots, etc., the Mexicans that will be in control of the United States by 2050 will be damn near unstoppable!

sad but true
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

Kinetic energy.

Isnt heat energy?

I think so.

My understanding is, at least with some lasers, the idea is the beam hits with such energy it destroys its target. Or at least that's what I read about the ABM lasers that targeted missiles during launch.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I am going to assume that this new toy will be serviced by civillian contractors rather than AOs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
oh please, oh please oh, please!

That would be awesome!  
Matt
Rhino Pilot
Matt
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Instead a single laser power source could be switched to shoot through optical windows scattered across the airframe, and the laser light rapidly switched from one port to another.  360deg coverage could be possible.

What material would these "windows" be made of?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#22]
lasers cause damage by either

1) dumping a lot of heat in a short time (into a soft target like, say humans) causing the underlying material to burst by rapid heat expansion.

2)  by shocking a hard target by vaporizing a small amount of casing material so fast that an explosive shock is transfered to the interior.

3) blinding, I suppose also.

You can peen metal with lasers, instead of metal or plastic shot, by controlling the pulse in number 2) above.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]
[vito]Seems a bit late chaps, the British airforce was on this bogey in 1878! Cheerio![/vito]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What material would these "windows" be made of?

Off hand, transparent aluminum would be the best choice IF it was transparent in the right frequency.
Failing that, silica crystal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
At the rate that technology turns over this idea will be outdated it 2-5 yrs.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't see it being done in 10 years, but it will be done.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

Kinetic energy.

Isnt heat energy?

I think so.

My understanding is, at least with some lasers, the idea is the beam hits with such energy it destroys its target. Or at least that's what I read about the ABM lasers that targeted missiles during launch.

Kinetic energy is the correct answer, as hard as that is to believe - I didn't back in the late 80's when we were looking at laser damage to F-15 structure.

We've had hand held dazzling lasers for a while, but they might cause the enemies airplane to crash, and as far as I know they aren't deployed.  They might not be too effective against two place airplanes with pilots that have their seats and visors down, and one pilot is flying on gages while the other has his head outside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top