BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
4 kids, and one more on the way.  You need to herd kids.  Get a Border Collie.

+1
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Bichon frise are supposed to be good with kids.

I like weiner dogs too.

Bilster
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The Boston Terrier is funny looking as all hell...
That might be an option...

I also like the small Australian Sheps...  They look to be very friendly and smart.

My Mom has a chocolate Lab, and he is the coolest mutt ever...   Just TOO big for our cramped house.
The two biggest considerations is size and kid friendly.
I got rid of a cat last year because she was too aggressive with the kids and almost cost an eye in one of my little girls. That cat went to ARL.

I'd never consider a pet from a pet store or a pound. I remember growing up, my folks would have a HELL of a time house training dogs that were use to pissin/poopin wherever/whenever they wanted while caged in a pet store. Just like the cat we had to get rid of, usually a pound animal is left for a reason and was someone else's problem.

Once I settle on a breed, I'll be happy to pay a premium for a quality dog that hasn't been inbred like so many others I've seen.
My brother has a German Shep that has obvious behavior problems...  Pisses on itself when excited, barks at everything, chases it's own tail, etc...  A buddy of mine also had a Shep with the exact same problems.

I'm convinced that pure bred is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Boston Terrirers are good.

Boxers are good too, they are fairly large but are great with kids. They may knock them over, but they love kids. Kids and boxer go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I had an english bulldog too, they are good with kids if they are raised around them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree with the Lab. I had a very hyper chocolate Lab who at 2 years old, had never been around kids. He would also jump and go nuts anytime someone came in the front door. However when my cousin brought her 2 year over to visit, we thought we had a different dog. He would let the kid pull his tail/ears and push him around. All my other labs have been wonderful with kids. The yellow lab I have now is 11 years old and she will still let the kids do basically anything to her that they want. The other thing is labs have a very soft bite, so even if a kid is playing with them and they accidently get their hand in a labs mouth the dog will not bite down.  LABS ARE GREAT!
I also have a beagle, he has never been any trouble with the kids, but he doesn't seem to realize they need to be treated gently at all times. A lab seems to always understand this. Labs can also be very protective of "their kids" if it seems that they are in danger from a stranger.
Go for the Lab, you will never be sorry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
American Staffordshire Terrier.

+1......that's what I had to tell my home owner's insurance that I owned years ago, as opposed to referring to him by his real name.  
Before we get into a PB bashing thread, I think a great small dog is the Shiba Inu....although expensive, they are energetic, intelligent, and they don't shed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dacshund.............they are very good with kids

In all seriousness, I'll absolutely second this.  I had one for 11 years growing up, his name was "Willie" (my mom named him after Willie Nelson ).  Great little dog.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Mini Schnauzer!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
SHETLAND SHEEPDOG AKA SHELTY!!!

Trust me on this!  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top