Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:49:21 PM EDT
How often does it need servicing (cleaning & lubrication)?  What does the service cost?
I had a quartz one years ago and liked it and was thinking of buying an automatic.

This is the model I was thinking about getting:

Also, how accurate is it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the exact one you are looking at, but this may be helpful.

forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=834883&rid=0
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had mine since about 1981/82. Never been in the shop, still accurate with only watch bands and pins being replaced.  Mine is black one, not red/blue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've had mine since about 1981/82. Never been in the shop, still accurate with only watch bands and pins being replaced.  Mine is black one, not red/blue.

That's what I was hoping to hear.  So it looks like you really don't need to send it in every five years for an overhaul like "they" recommend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had mine for about 9 yrs and just recently it will stop if I take it off for more than 3-4 hours. It probably needs to be serviced. Other than that it has been an excellent watch. Paid 250 at the exchange, not sure what they go for now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've had mine for about 9 yrs and just recently it will stop if I take it off for more than 3-4 hours. It probably needs to be serviced. Other than that it has been an excellent watch. Paid 250 at the exchange, not sure what they go for now.

They're around the same price.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two of them, one from the mid 80's and one from the mid-90s.  What really needs servicing are the seals if you plan on using them as dive watches.  Ask me how I know

Ken at Yellowstone Watch does great work.

Lee
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a retired Master watchmaker.

The Seiko's are good consumer watches.
To last the longest and maintain accuracy, they really should be serviced every 5 years.
Like all machines, the oil gets dirty, dries out, and creeps away from where it should be to where it shouldn't.

An automatic watch will have AVERAGE accuracy of not much better than about 10 to 20 seconds a day plus or minus at the best, and as it gets worn and the oil dries out and creeps away, accuracy deteriorates.

The best buys I've found online for the Diver's models is on Ebay from an Ebay store named "Big Time, Inc":
stores.ebay.com/BIG-TIME-INC

I've bought from them and service and rep is excellent.
They sell the Seiko Divers model with a metal band for $140.00.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Are they not made in Japan anymore?  My old one was Japanese - band and everything.  I emailed one "jeweler" in Las vegas and they told me that Seikos weren't made there.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one with the black rubber band for years and years.  Eventually it just kind of died, ran slow, never had it serviced, servicing was always expensive, about 1/4 the price of a new watch.   Eventually the black strap will rip, especially the hole where the buckle pointy thing goes into.

They're a bit on the heavy side, but watch is rugged,  you'll get 5-10 years out of it, expect to buy a new black band every 2-3 years if you get that style.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Like this?
Seiko SKX173 (rebanded)

From what I get from the watch boards, you don't need to service this watch for at least 10 years, if not more. Most suggest leaving the watch alone until it acts up, which may take many years.
As far as accuracy goes, mine runs about a minute fast every week. They can be adjusted for better accuracy if this sort of thing is an issue for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are they not made in Japan anymore?  My old one was Japanese - band and everything.  I emailed one "jeweler" in Las vegas and they told me that Seikos weren't made there.  Thanks.

Yes, there are some that are made in Japan...SKX009J   Some have a dark grey instead of dark blue dial, but still use the workhorse Seiko movement..(7s26) Put a WTB on Timezone for the Japan only version.. I can also help you find one...

They can be MUCH more accurate than +10 to 20 sec per day... If I had an automatic that ran that fast  itd go back to Seiko... That is too fast even for a non chronometer movement, and the 7s26 is much more capable than that. There is also a quatrz version of the watch you are looking at... The SCH033..
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had a Black Monster for about 2 years and love it.  What are you guys spending to get yours serviced?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had three in the past 20+ years and every one was a champ. Work great as a dive watch too, just keep an eye on the band as it tends to dryrot and split. This is the reason why I've had to replace two after a few years... the band broke in the water and the watch went "bye bye".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#14]

This is what I just got.  I like it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006IHHN4.01-A3NEEKFH28LV5D._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is what I just got.  I like it.

Same here.  I think I like it better than the Rolexes I've had that cost twenty times as much.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I will have around a dozen Seiko divers at any given point. Buy, sell, buy, sell!

The 7S26 movement is a real strong workhorse. Nearly indestructable, and are capable of decent +/- accuracy. The only problem people have with the 7S26 is that it is non-hacking, so you can't set it to exact second (although there is a little trick).

Buy one, wear the hell out of it and it will serve you well.

Just make sure to get one from a reputable dealer as there are many "Feiko's" around these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top