Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 5:12:24 PM EDT by rak1004]
Used to be I could walk in and flash the ccw and walk right out with my new toy, but nooooo that was to easy, to quick. I was looking around today and at the third shop I went to , I found a Iver Johnson m-1 carbine that I couldnt live without, so I put 100.00 down on it, and went back to work. Well a couple hours went by and I decided I really needed it to fondle and play with tonight. So off I go back to the store, pay the lay-away off, fill out the new form, and pick up some mags and ammo for her. Then all that was left was a quick 2 minute call and off I would be to spend the evening getting to know my new sweetie. Well the lady stayed on the phone for 5 minutes, I looked at holsters, 10 minutes went by and I was curious but, hey it is the government. Then I heard blasphemy, they need to research the transfer, it was in what they call a delay while they decide, and according to the lady (who by the way was really nice) at the store where I bought it from. She told me that it happened quite regularily, that she has had up to 5 guns sitting in the twighlight zone waiting on the gods of whatever they are to cast their votes. Now I have a DUI, 1991, done and over and a public drunkeness (wild night ended at a walmart and handcuffs) But that was 2001. Since then I have bought numerous guns including a m-11 from tactical innovations and that went smooth as it could. So How in the freakin world can I be delayed while they research this, Im confused, I have a registered machine gun, but am having trouble getting a rifle. Why is that, what are they doing and who said they could do this anyway??????????
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:26:03 PM EDT
if you have a CCW why were they doing a call? or does a GA CCW not negate the nics check?

don't worry, delays happen all the time for whatever reason. sometimes i think they just like to mess with people's heads. could be that the agent's shift was over and didn't want to put in the extra 30 seconds of overtime. -he'll get to it in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:48:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By grizzlyarms:
if you have a CCW why were they doing a call? or does a GA CCW not negate the nics check?

It's that way here in the 'Gunshine State' too. I have CWP & they still call it in. Their stance is you chave commited a crime; Misd., Felony ect. since you received your CWP. I've not run into any waits or holds... But of course when I go to pick up my Loaded MC Operator, I'll probably pay for this statement.

David
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:00 PM EDT
Thats the problem, the morning is Saturday, so no m-1 for me this weekend, kinda pisses me though, I paid for it in full and crossed the T's and dotted the i's. But nope. Yes a ccw in Ga used to (speaking as of the last time I bought one last year was all that was needed. If you didnt have a ccw you underwent the check, but we were exempt until I guess Dec and then suddenly all transfers need a check.) But There should be a more reasonable time limit on the delay, like 30 minutes or a hour, not some 5 or 3 day period. If they cant figure out that Im not a terrorist or a felon or wife beater in 30 minutes somethings wrong. I say they should be fined for everyday they keep me from taking posession of my legal property. I have read their facts about a gazillon illegal gun sales were stopped with the background checks, and I am glad that they are protecting me . Now who, I know it happens, but what fool with a warrnant or felony would go into a gun store and pay the sticker price and then fill out the form and sit and wait for a check.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:05:44 AM EDT
Not for nothing , but you could be under indictment and not know it which will red flag .

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:30:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:53:56 AM EDT
if you have the CCW they shouldn't have to call...the delay is just the descretion of the officer who answered the phone...I've bought 6 guns this last year and had to wait 1-3 days for the instant check with every one of them...the form 4 is a form not a permit...unacceptible for credentials... maybe your name is similar to somebody else who has a record...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:56:42 AM EDT
Around here they still run NICS if you have a CCW permit. Never had a problem before though
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:01:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
Around here they still run NICS if you have a CCW permit. Never had a problem before though

In my county in NY I am NICS certified and it is listed on my permit. Suprisingly, I fill out
the yellow the form but it is never faxed in. The one exeception to this, is in my county I
require a "purchase coupon" from my county clerks office for each new handgun added
to my license. That takes 3-4 weeks +.

Long Guns though I do not wait.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:35:14 AM EDT
Well unless I have embezelled a million dollars, I cant see what I would be under indicment for that I WOULDNT KNOW ABOUT. I havent done anything.
Top Top