Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:50:15 AM EDT
How about making it law that if a person cries DUPE in a thread they must provide a link to the thread that they believe was duped?

What say you?

ETA: and dont reply "this is a dupe"
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
This is something I wrote in a thread about thoughts on a world war: It fits here as well:

I wonder what all the trolls who monitor this forum for dupes 24x7 will do when the power goes out??

I wonder if when they are in public and someone starts telling a joke, they keep saying DUPE out loud..

Oh wait... that would be making the assumption that they actually leave the house..

my bad...

(0_o) Dan
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You realize this HAS been posted a few times before, right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think so... I can't tell you how many times I see someone posting news or a link to something they see on Drudge or Fark and the post that beat them to it is on the same page. People even do screen caps to illustrate that point.

I'm not even including the weekly re-posts of the "My son sent me this email about the war in Iraq" or "Which was better, Van Halen or Van Haggar" threads...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Dupes are our constitutional right to call.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dupes are our constitutional right to call.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!

If you don't like the site, LEAVE!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
In order to abide by the new unofficial rules, may I present:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=423427

DUPE!!!

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
then how about making people use descriptive thread titles so people could search for the dupe?

Example: "Funny video of a chip drinking its own pee!" instead of "OMFG LOOK AT THIS VIDEO LOL!!!" or worse "Funny video!!!"
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
then how about making people use descriptive thread titles so people could search for the dupe?

Example: "Funny video of a chip drinking its own pee!" instead of "OMFG LOOK AT THIS VIDEO LOL!!!" or worse "Funny video!!!"

It would also help if the search function would scan entire threads/posts for keywords and not just look at the subject line.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No doubt. We hardley use thread titles that make sense or even on topic of the thread. I think many of us do it just to get action in the thread.

Look at the jimmy carter thread at Kings funeral. Even after searching it still wouldn't come up. Why? Because the OP used "Its Bush Fault" or something close to that for the thread title.

Makse sense? No, but the people who come here to only post "DUPE" would be all over it.

Thats why I say get rid of the post count and see how fast all that crap ends.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is something I wrote in a thread about thoughts on a world war: It fits here as well:

I wonder what all the trolls who monitor this forum for dupes 24x7 will do when the power goes out??

I wonder if when they are in public and someone starts telling a joke, they keep saying DUPE out loud..

Oh wait... that would be making the assumption that they actually leave the house..

my bad...

(0_o) Dan

Funny you should mention that check this one out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=433331

I edited the title and my first entry after mr_wilson started up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

DUPE!!!

Negative on that. That thread has nothing to do with imposing a new rule.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

DUPE!!!

+1

DUPE

and no, I will not provide links when I call dupes unless I feel like it.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

DUPE!!!

owned
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Why not prove it so you wont look like a J@cka$$?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Preach it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 dupe
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should I go through the effort to search?  The person who started the dupe thread sure didn't.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should I go through the effort to search?  The person who started the dupe thread sure didn't.

Thats a good point...

But, most of them (well alot) are by non team members who cant search.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Good idea - but people should be exempt from the rule if there ALREADY are two or more active topics about the same thing withint the first couple of pages.

"Dupe" can either be a helpful public service, or an frustrated admonishing outburst - and while the former should require a link, the second should not.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't see why some people get so pissed about guys posting Dupe or 87 or whatever else .  I think it's kind of funny.  To limit the post counts may take care of this "problem" but stupid, sarcastic, and off-the-wall comments are part of the reason I like Arfcom.  If I want info. or I feel that I may be of assitance I will go to the AR-15, Armory, Hometown..... forums.  If I want a good laugh I go to GD, Not to say that there is no place for seriuos threads on GD, If I think a thread or post is stupid I just ignore it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
What I love is when incessant dupe-callers use a picture everyone has seen a zillion times before to call it.

Such as the AGNTSA pic or the great Ackbar trap pic...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Then why go through the trouble to call dupe?

Just move along and let others enjoy the thread.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I vote we gutshoot the Dupe Nazi's...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why go through the trouble to call dupe?

Just move along and let others enjoy the thread.

Because it's fun to let people know they are idiots for not seeing a duplicate topic on the FIRST page of the forum they are posting in!  When you go into an area to post a topic, at least scan the first two f*cking pages.  Jesus H....

my bad...

(0_o) Dan

You've definitely been around long enough to start telling others what to do or how to do it!!  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I vote your membership cost goes by your PPD count! Oh Wait, fuck, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DUPE!!!

No, but it has everything to with bitching about dupe calling - just like this thread.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's another new rule idea -

Every time someone starts a thread bitching, whining, moaning and crying about dupe-callers, they provide links to the last several threads where it happened.

That way whenever someone during the course of their day does happen to see a "dupe" called, they wont immediately run off and start a thread bitching, whining, moaning and crying about dupe-callers.  

Or is that idea already a dupe?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Here's another new rule idea -

Every time someone starts a thread bitching, whining, moaning and crying about dupe-callers, they provide links to the last several threads where it happened.

That way whenever someone during the course of their day does happen to see a "dupe" called, they wont immediately run off and start a thread bitching, whining, moaning and crying about dupe-callers.  

Or is that idea already a dupe?

Its a dupe.. Unfortunately.. I like to see a rule banning any one coming on here. And bitching that there spouse or girlfriend has ran away/cheated/dorking a pig. Maybe if you were to step away from the damn computer, and let your post whoring slip a bit. Your gal or guy(depending on who you are), might take a greater interest in your social life (you might get laid more).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Its a dupe.. Unfortunately.. I like to see a rule banning any one coming on here. And bitching that there spouse or girlfriend has ran away/cheated/dorking a pig. Maybe if you were to step away from the damn computer, and let your post whoring slip a bit. Your gal or guy(depending on who you are), might take a greater interest in your social life (you might get laid more).

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#33]
DUPE DUPE DUPE DUPE DUPE DUPE DUPE
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DUPE!!!

No, but it has everything to with bitching about dupe calling - just like this thread.

No just throwing an idea out there.

Take the above quoted information. That guy had no idea what I was proposing.

Read the thread, then dupe if you feel the need and link the thread you think was duped.

He tried it and failed. Simple concept, huh?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

DORK DORK DORK DORK DORK DORK DORK
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DORK DORK DORK DORK DORK DORK DORK

ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Being how you took you screen name from a Beavis and Butthead episode. Here you go........

BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being how you took you screen name from a Beavis and Butthead episode. Here you go........

BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE BUNGHOLE

I really miss that show,  TP FOR MY BUNGHOLE  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#39]
OMFG L@@K AT THIS POST!!!!

Annoying, and it doesn't convey any useful or searchable information.

Descriptive thread titles would go a long ways towards eliminating dupes. Cleaning up the titles should be in the COC.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
OMFG L@@K AT THIS POST!!!!

Annoying, and it doesn't convey any useful or searchable information.

Descriptive thread titles would go a long ways towards eliminating dupes. Cleaning up the titles should be in the COC.

The last few post are FULL of usefull info,What the hell are you thinking?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Me too. They are showing it on MTV2 currently.

WE WILL NOW RETURN TO YOU SCHEDULED PROGRAM.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too. They are showing it on MTV2 currently.

roscoe.typepad.com/roscoeblog/images/cornholio.jpg

It was on Comedy Central for a while,but i think it is gone now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#44]
This is dupe-refic 5 times that I've found

Dupe 1

Dupe 2

Dupe 3

Dupe 4

and last but not least the fith one.

Dupe 5

This is very sad that we are getting bent out of shape over these dupes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Dupe 1

Dupe 2

Dupe 3

Dupe 4

Dupe 5

DUPE
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dupe 1

Dupe 2

Dupe 3

Dupe 4

Dupe 5

DUPE

You can't dupe, dupes on a dupe thread...that's just plain mean.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Is this a dupe? If it is i am calling it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn, just damn

Oh wait, lemme gues

DUPE right?

Of course im guilty for calling dupe as well.... And I have posted them... Its life, and fun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:32:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, I can say that I've never doled out a dupe towards anyone else's post , but I have been cyberly lynched by others for duping their thread. Let's see what was it? Oh yea, "rip his throat out", and something about "Teh ghey".

Personally, I don't see the big deal other than the dupe taking up uneeded space on the server's. If a posted thread doesn't receive any replies it just fades off into dated pages anyway. I have read some interesting topics that I would have otherwise missed had they not been reposted aka duped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top