Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:39:27 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to remodel a bathroom and replace the original tub which measures 60" x 32" I am looking at 'hydrotherapy' skirted tubs that will drop into the same location.

I looked at Lowe's and they had one model. It was a Jacuzzi brand and the price was about $650 or so. I then looked at the plumbing supply place and they had one model that would fit, a Jason brand tub for the low low price of $1,750.

Both tubs are acrylic. The Jacuzzi has 10 jets, the Jason has 7. Why the $1,100 premium for the Jason? What am I missing here? What should I be looking for in this type of tub? I can actually physically examine and see the tub at Lowe's as they have a display. The plumbing supply has many tubs in stock, but not the one I want to look at.

Does anyone here have some insight on this one?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
i have a 2 person jacuzzi tub that was puchased from lowes for 1000 bucks. jucuzzi's web site said the tube was 3 k.

i think lowes made a big purchase deal with jucuzzi to get jucuzzi to not to sell to HD. go for the jucuzzi they are pretty good
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
anyone else wanna weigh in?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
They suck.    They drain your hot water tank, then you've got no hot water to add when they cool

also, gets too hot  & steamy in the bathroom to really enjoy.

Get a hot tub instead.  We use ours all the time, seldom us the jacuzzi tub
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They drain your hot water tank, then you've got no hot water to add when they cool

not me i have an on demand hot water heater... endless hot water baby
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Kohler with a built in heater, lights, neck massage etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get a Kohler with a built in heater, lights, neck massage etc.

10mm the jacuzzi i bought has the built in heater, i think all of the jacuzzis lowes sell here have them included. but no light
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
When we built our house in '97, we had a Jacuzzi put in.  It has worked very well since then.  I have no idea what it cost.  It was hidden in the overall cost of the house.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd second the vote to skip the fancy tub. I've got a Jacuzzi tub that was here when I bought the place. Drains the water heater, crappy enameling and it's starting to crack around the top lip
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Three brokebutt cowboys, sittin in a jacuzzi tub, water a-swirlin'.

One looks down and sees something thick and white floatin on top of the water and asks, "OK...who farted?"  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You will need two 120 volt circiuts for the heated whirlpool, one for heater and one for motor. Dependant on the amperage of the motor and the wattage of the heater. These have to be GFCI protected also,

I have a jetted tub, never have used it. I do have a 8 person hot tub I use often.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I just installed the jacuzzi corner tub (unskirted) from Lowe's.  I did all the work myself starting with taking a sledgehammer to my old cast iron tub.  The work was very fulfilling, and it looks great.  The tub is nice, and mine came with an inline heater that keeps the water warm.  I don't have any trouble with the bathroom getting too steamy from using it.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You will need two 120 volt circiuts for the heated whirlpool, one for heater and one for motor. Dependant on the amperage of the motor and the wattage of the heater. These have to be GFCI protected also,

I have a jetted tub, never have used it. I do have a 8 person hot tub I use often.

The entire bathroom is being gutted and I'm having the wiring done in addition to the plumbing. I'm pretty sure the old post and wire setup couldn't handle it

I don't have any place to put a hot tub nor the money to buy one. I thought this would be a nice touch since I'm overhauling the bathroom completely. I'm too embarassed to post pics. Suffice it to say that it currently looks like the sort of place someone would shoot heroin or something.

You're not a woman are you? Got a SO? What does s/he think of the jetted tub? I always take showers to bathe. I only take baths when I need to soothe my feet or my back. The little lady takes baths frequently, however.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I say do it!  You will like it when you need it, the Mrs. will love it, and you will have room for the both of you to take a bath together .
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't use too much bubble bath in them!(It's actually pretty funny)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Are we talking about bathtub (60") type units or hot tubs?  And a Rinnai or two will solve that running out of hot water problem.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
My experience is that the main reason for the price difference is that HD sells eleventy billion jetted tubs (models manufactured expressly for them) , and your local supply house does not.    As a builder,  HD beats EVERYONE in town for solid surface vanity tops.......by alot.   I hate to give them my business, but you do what you have to do to be competive.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Are we talking about bathtub (60") type units or hot tubs?  And a Rinnai or two will solve that running out of hot water problem.

60x32 bathtub replacement
Top Top