Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Going to Intel was a good idea.

Invariably  the PowerPC chips only delivered half the performance IBM claimed for them.

ANdy

Invariably?  Half?  That's overstating it a bit, don't you think?

What is interesting is that the highly parallel systems of today and tommorow are not going with an Intel or AMD CPU but rather a POWER-based CPU.   The XBox360 is PowerPC based, and the Cell processor in the upcoming Sony PS3 is also POWER-based.    

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is what killed OS2. That is why OS2 was NEVER intended to be used in the home market. IBM gave it a shot and quickly realised the home based OS war was lost before they even began to fight. Apple may very likely be in the same boat.

I can agree with you on that point - once pre-loading was widely adopted, it was pretty hard for IBM to find a chink in the armor and make any headway competing directly against Microsoft.    

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Going to Intel was a good idea.

Invariably  the PowerPC chips only delivered half the performance IBM claimed for them.

ANdy

Invariably?  Half?  That's overstating it a bit, don't you think?

What is interesting is that the highly parallel systems of today and tommorow are not going with an Intel or AMD CPU but rather a POWER-based CPU.   The XBox360 is PowerPC based, and the Cell processor in the upcoming Sony PS3 is also POWER-based.    

I've got a dual 2.0 Ghz G5 Mac at work, my wife has a 1.8Ghz P4 at home, the PC seems just as quick in the real world....

I for one welcome the coming of actually available fast Intel chips instead of PowerPC vapourware.

ANdy

And running Windows 3.1 on my Pentium II feels more responsive than running Windows XP on my Dual 3.0GHz Xeon.    I guess the Pentium II is faster.   The subjective response to GUI interactivity cannot be used to measure processor performance.  

Or, since this is a gun board, a 1911 in .45ACP is much more powerful than an AR in 5.56 because the 1911 has noticeably more recoil.

Also, two CPUs won't make it twice as fast for everything.   I have a dual 3.0GHz Xeon, as I mentioned, and it is no faster in general than a 3.0GHz P4 I have at work.     It just doesn't slow down as quickly under a load of many processes / threads.

BTW - It's "vaporware" not "vapourware"  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the driving factor wasn't the desktop, but the laptop processors. G5 wasn't so bad, but it was never going to make it into a laptop due to power/heat issues, and the G4 is getting long in the tooth.

Intel's new dual processor is phat. IBM was a buck short and a day late.

And Intel was behind Sun with dual cores.  The UltraSparcIV+ will have four of them.  

And Sun was behind IBM, who rolled out the dual core POWER4 in 2001.  

Actually I'll have to correct myself.  Sun named their new chip the T1 and they come with up to 8 cores per CPU, and they are shipping now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bring back the Alpha!

Huh?  We're still using it.  It never went away!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top