Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 5:53:20 PM EDT
In corner one, Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU,  Criminal Intent

In the other corner, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York

Which franchise is the worst for accurately representing firearms, ballistics, and gun laws?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
NO ibtp!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
None of the above. They are all equally bad.  

In this day and age, do you honestly expect any network TV show to even attempt to get it right?

Discovery and History channel are about the only two who will try.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
While CSI doesnt get all the gun laws and facts straight, they haven't made a anti-gun episode thats i've seen. L&O on the other has made many anti-gun episodes and cant get laws steaight either.

Quote from L&O " This is the kind of gun you use if you really want to hit what your shooting at"
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Dallas S.W.A.T. and TEXAS S.W.A.T.  lots of propaganda
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In this day and age, do you honestly expect any network TV show to even attempt to get it right?

Agreed.  I actually saw some gun-firing action on a Dale Dye show on History channel in my AMerican history class.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
They're both pretty bad, however Law & Order did, once, make the distinct point of saying that an AR-15 and M-16 were different. (IE: called the AR a "semi-auto, "sporter" rifle)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I think CSI is terrible...I loved that episode where some kid was shooting at a tree...and some how they derived that he was not shooting target practice...he was training for a school shooting...and so they run to the school to stop him...come to find out...he had a mini-14(I think)...they shoulda known he was going to hit a damn thing with that gun anyway...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  I actually saw some gun-firing action on a Dale Dye show on History channel in my AMerican history class.  

I believe you mean R. Lee Ermy.

While CSI may have some veiled antigun shit every once in a while (no, no we don't own a gun, we don't believe in them) or some dumb comment about guns being registered, it is not explicitly anti-gun.

L/O is anti-gun through and through.
CSI has way more technical errors about guns though.
Marks on a bullet from a suppressor?
please.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw a poster on a desk in the SVU squadroom for calling in "gun tips"

I can only assume they have such things in NY

for some reason that just stuck me as very sad

Barry
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]
L&O is more blatantly anti-gun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe you mean R. Lee Ermy.

While CSI may have some veiled antigun shit every once in a while (no, no we don't own a gun, we don't believe in them) or some dumb comment about guns being registered, it is not explicitly anti-gun.

L/O is anti-gun through and through.
CSI has way more technical errors about guns though.
Marks on a bullet from a suppressor?
please.

If you're talking to me, it was a program where the host was Dale Dye.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
TV huh? Not exactly the fountain of knowledge is it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I caught an episode of CSI once.
IIRC correctly, the examiner said:
"The weapon was a Glock, you can tell by the rectangular  shell casings"

I got a really good laugh out of that, but just think of the millions that watch it think all that B.S. is true. I like L&O, but the anti-gun crap is hard to swallow sometimes, I mean, could they be any more biased? Just a bunch of liberal screen writers who have no clue what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I refuse to vote, they both are teh suck.

Just love those scenes where they recover a totally un-deformed bullet from a plaster wall, AFTER it passed through a car window, siding and plaster, the victim, and another wall and ended up a room away.

Oh, and they seem to some how recover casings fired from a revolver every now and then...

I also get a laugh out of the size of the pools of blood you see around a corpse that was hit just-off-center-mass by a single 9mm or 38 round that didn't even pass through.  

I gave up long ago counting the "gun bloopers" that occur during prime time.  Mainly due to scenes where folks keep shooting after the slide is visibly locked back on empty mags and other scenes where folks fly out windows from a single shot with a 25ACP.

For some reason, I keep paying for 800 channels, but typically only view 3 on a daily basis.  Color me stupid.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the medical examiners on CSI made a point to say that more people die falling down stairs than by gun shot wounds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#16]
as said before L&O is blantenly anti gun and deceptive about it

most stuff on CSI has at least some basis in fact however strained stretched or small
as the aboved metioned rectangle shell caseing
the firing pin mark on the primer from a Glock is sorta rectangle
and a misalinged homebult supressor would probably leave marks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Law & Order hands down.

They frequently cross over from bad gun facts to intentionally fabricated lies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#18]
i think "wanted" is worse than both of them put together.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
as said before L&O is blantenly anti gun and deceptive about it

most stuff on CSI has at least some basis in fact however strained stretched or small
as the aboved metioned rectangle shell caseing
the firing pin mark on the primer from a Glock is sorta rectangle
and a misalinged homebult supressor would probably leave marks

But suppressors are not illegal, despite what CSI sez.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
how about the news or cops? I have seen some "facts" that would be downright embarrasing to be caught on tape saying.

My most memorable was on the news they did a special on some murder. There was a shell casing laying in the road. One cop commented "looks like a .40 or .45". Another cops leans down studies the shell for a minute and comes to his conclusion, ""yep, it's a .45 Smith and Wesson" he says
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
how about the news or cops? I have seen some "facts" that would be downright embarrasing to be caught on tape saying.

My most memorable was on the news they did a special on some murder. There was a shell casing laying in the road. One cop commented "looks like a .40 or .45". Another cops leans down studies the shell for a minute and comes to his conclusion, ""yep, it's a .45 Smith and Wesson" he says

rofl
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Haha I remember one SVU episode I saw. There was a suspect who had 3 pistols registered to him. As soon as they found this out, "Oh my GAWD! THREE WEAPONS! What are you preparing for a WAR?!"

It was pretty funny. If they could see how many weapons we  have they would probably throw a friggin conniption.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I remember an episode of E.R.

They rolled some dude in with a (GSW) to the torso.  The surgeon looks at the wound and says "Black Talon" and I thought  ahhhhhhhh sh**  ni***a please.

Great Entertainment
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
While CSI doesnt get all the gun laws and facts straight, they haven't made a anti-gun episode thats i've seen. L&O on the other has made many anti-gun episodes and cant get laws steaight either.

Quote from L&O " This is the kind of gun you use if you really want to hit what your shooting at"

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rofl

Bad guy could have been using a Schofield topbreak S&W cowboy gun........
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I caught an episode of CSI once.
IIRC correctly, the examiner said:
"The weapon was a Glock, you can tell by the rectangular  shell casings"

I read this and tried not to laugh.

Really, I tried to keep a stern face.   The more I tried, the harder I tried, the worse it hurt.   I could feel fatigue setting in, I could feel the corners of my lips turning upwards as the frown turned upside down....

Then I let free and busted out laughing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#27]
There's a big difference from screwing up, being mis-informed, than the blatant crap L&O pulls..
I hate the slide locked guns that keep shooting too, but that's usually the fault of the director not cutting the shot, having the right prop gun than the producer making shit up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
TV huh? Not exactly the fountain of knowledge is it?

yeah we know its not but theres alot of morons out there who believe what they see on tv.

Ever been on Jury Duty recently be amazed by the stupidty of people.

"I dont think he did it becouse they dont have DNA on him"
like magicly every case is going to have dna analyse "well they do on *insert crime drama here*"

morons.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I really used to like L&O back when I didn't own a gun, or was as concerned about
the constitution as I am today.

L&O is agressively anti-gun, and, as the series has spun off they've made less and less
pains to hide it.  There was one so bad a few weeks ago, I turned the channel and told my wife:

"That's the last time I ever watch that POS show."

CSI is just kinda...silly.  It's popcorn forensics for dummies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Both suck.

(I used to love Law & Order but they are a bunch of Antis there so I try not to watch any of them... And I watched an episode of CSI and thought it was the stupidest thing ever...)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]
There was a headline, on one of the news channels today, may have been local, I just heard it, and didn't see it..... Anyway, the headline was, " Is CSI having an impact  jurys", the uneducated, will believe anything on T.V., if CSI said a 22lr, could take down an airplane, from 10 miles, some people would believe it, and 22lr ammo, would be in danger of a ban. The SWAT shows weren't included in this list, but they also "embelish" quite a bit, and I quit watching, because of it. They could be really good shows, but their BS kills it for me. JMO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top