Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 5:08:29 AM EDT
I was pleased with the courts ruling on this and defended BM's right to use the term M4.  I knew Colt was trying to skirt the copyright laws by submitting stupid CPs and trademarks.

To this I never read BM's statement since I thought I knew all about it...boy was I wrong.

From BM's statement, { the court also} "Dismissed Colt’s claims for infringement of the terms M16, CAR, MATCH TARGET, AR-15 and COMMANDO because it concluded that there was no likelihood of confusion among purchasers as to the source of Bushmaster’s products."

Understandable if you look at what they attempted to say was made by them, but
I had no idea Colt was so caught up with itself that it also tried to copyright those terms.  Colt would then file lawsuits against other manufacturers forcing them to devert funds (from payroll, stock, where ever) to legal defense. Colts goal was to force the small guy out of business or into bankrupcy.

Whats next...FLATTOP, TRIGGER GROUP, A1 A2 A3......WEAPON, GUN,..FIREARM.......?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:16:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't what became of it, but Colt is trying to force others in the gun biz to not use the phrase "45 Long Colt," to describe that cartridge, and from my understanding Colt did approve of the alternative designation "45LC" I don't know what was/is the  resolution.  To me that is pretty dumb, Colt got it's name in front of millions of people, and to have them pull this BS.  I think that it is too late to try to restrict the use of the phrase,  "45 Long Colt" since it has been used for over 100 years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt is simply continuing to try to survive by depending on the Gov rather than innovation,quality and market appeal. They are REALLY going to be in a bind if FN's SCAR get's chosen to replace the M16/M4. It looks like they've got real problems down the road. Sad. Do they even have an R&D dept. ???
ETA: and yes, I am a Colt owner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top