Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:20:59 PM EDT
For the past few years the Military has talked about implementing a PDW in to the arms of non infantry personel. Well I was thinking why put a new claiber weapon into service when you could SBR the existing M16's in service. Think about it, it would be a heck of a lot cheaper and you wouldnt have to retrain personel.

Wouldnt all you have to do is:

Cut the barrel down
Move the FSB back
Replace gas tube
Attach a new forearm
Replace stock

Please tell me if I got anything wrong or need to add anything.

I just though I would ahre this with everyone...

Carter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:23:45 PM EDT
M4 is a PDW.

Unless the army wants a new round and new mag's to stock, just issue M4's.

P90 would be great for the role tho...rather have that than a ~10" AR Commando type....

Problem with PDW's and the US Army is that there are no non-frontline troops in the current wars.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:27:26 PM EDT
The problem is that adding another round would make logistics rediculously complicated. So, the solution is to issue a 9mm a la the MP5-PDW or a very short (10.5 or shorter) M4 using 5.56.

Or perhaps they could issue more pistols and actually develop a pistol shooting Program Of Instruction that is worthwhile.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:36:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
The problem is that adding another round would make logistics rediculously complicated. So, the solution is to issue a 9mm a la the MP5-PDW or a very short (10.5 or shorter) M4 using 5.56.

Or perhaps they could issue more pistols and actually develop a pistol shooting Program Of Instruction that is worthwhile.

That there is what Im saying why put a brand new caliber in the field. I am leaning for the M16/M4 series SBR you wouldnt have to retrain anyone be cause they would already know the weapons system.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:42:42 PM EDT
I was agreeing with you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:09 PM EDT
if this is done it would be best to issue heavier 75-77gr ammo, i wouldn't trust M855 to fragment reliably out of such short barrels.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
Don't forget to rebarrel in something other than 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:03:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I was agreeing with you.

I know. And I agree with your pistol comment. Something needs to be done about that.

Phil why rebarrel? Just curious. Only other thing that would seem practical to me is 9mily.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 8:04:41 PM EDT by Manic_Moran]
The British simply 'carbineified' their L85A2 into a PDW. Irish are considering a carbine of the AUG instead of a pistol. They're still not quite as small as a pistol, but do have the advantage of a bit more punch, and standard magazines and 5.56mm ammunition. Full-auto is a possibility as well.

NTM
Top Top