Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:20:59 PM EDT
For the past few years the Military has talked about implementing a PDW in to the arms of non infantry personel. Well I was thinking why put a new claiber weapon into service when you could SBR the existing M16's in service. Think about it, it would be a heck of a lot cheaper and you wouldnt have to retrain personel.

Wouldnt all you have to do is:

Cut the barrel down
Move the FSB back
Replace gas tube
Attach a new forearm
Replace stock

Please tell me if I got anything wrong or need to add anything.

I just though I would ahre this with everyone...

Carter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
M4 is a PDW.

Unless the army wants a new round and new mag's to stock, just issue M4's.

P90 would be great for the role tho...rather have that than a ~10" AR Commando type....

Problem with PDW's and the US Army is that there are no non-frontline troops in the current wars.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem is that adding another round would make logistics rediculously complicated. So, the solution is to issue a 9mm a la the MP5-PDW or a very short (10.5 or shorter) M4 using 5.56.

Or perhaps they could issue more pistols and actually develop a pistol shooting Program Of Instruction that is worthwhile.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The problem is that adding another round would make logistics rediculously complicated. So, the solution is to issue a 9mm a la the MP5-PDW or a very short (10.5 or shorter) M4 using 5.56.

Or perhaps they could issue more pistols and actually develop a pistol shooting Program Of Instruction that is worthwhile.

That there is what Im saying why put a brand new caliber in the field. I am leaning for the M16/M4 series SBR you wouldnt have to retrain anyone be cause they would already know the weapons system.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I was agreeing with you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
if this is done it would be best to issue heavier 75-77gr ammo, i wouldn't trust M855 to fragment reliably out of such short barrels.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget to rebarrel in something other than 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was agreeing with you.

I know. And I agree with your pistol comment. Something needs to be done about that.

Phil why rebarrel? Just curious. Only other thing that would seem practical to me is 9mily.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The British simply 'carbineified' their L85A2 into a PDW. Irish are considering a carbine of the AUG instead of a pistol. They're still not quite as small as a pistol, but do have the advantage of a bit more punch, and standard magazines and 5.56mm ammunition. Full-auto is a possibility as well.

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top