BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2006 10:56:17 AM EDT
First time in US history

Skyview girl's win makes U.S. history
WRESTLING: Hutchison's state title against the boys at 103 pounds is unprecedented.

By VAN WILLIAMS
Anchorage Daily News

Published: February 5, 2006
Last Modified: February 5, 2006 at 05:56 AM

Armed with cameras and video camcorders, nearly 2,000 people packed Chugiak High on Saturday night to watch Skyview's Michaela Hutchison make history.

Flash bulbs popped when Hutchison took the mat in the 103-pound final of Alaska's big school wrestling championships. When the wrestlers were introduced, Hutchison received a roaring applause.

But the best was yet to come.

Led by chants of "C'mon Michaela" and "Girl Power," Hutchison blew the roof off the place when she earned a thrilling 1-0 victory over Colony's Aaron Boss to become the first girl wrestler in the nation to win a state title against boys.

Hutchison, a sophomore who entered the state tournament ranked No. 1 in her weight class, completed her historic run by scoring an escape with 16 seconds left in the match to beat Boss for the second time in as many weeks.

As time wound down and Hutchison and Boss locked together in the middle, the crowd started counting down "3 ... 2 ... 1" before letting out a deafening roar. Hutchison didn't show much reaction -- she was more concerned with stopping her nose from bleeding.

Family and friends mobbed Hutchison after she walked off the mat while the crowd honored her accomplishment with a standing ovation.

"They were helping me," Hutchison said of the crowd's support. "It was awesome."

Hutchison was a crowd favorite before she even took the mat, in large part because she was trying to do what no girl had ever done -- beat the boys.

Skyview coach Neldon Gardner said Hutchison's victory was one of the highlights of his coaching career. He has coached countless state champions, but this one stood out.

"After 23 years of coaching you remember a lot of things. I'll never forget this one," he said. "I can't think of anybody more deserving than Michaela. She works as hard as any boy I've ever had."

Lathrop's Leah Bachert, a girl wrestler at 112 pounds, called Hutchison a role model.

"I look up to her because she's proving everybody wrong," Bachert said. "She's showing everybody that girls can be just as tough as guys."

Beating the boys has been something Hutchison has dreamed about since she started working out with the Skyview High as a seventh grader. She was close last year, losing in the 103-pound final.

Across the nation, other girls have been close too.

Last year, 17 girls nationwide qualified for high school state championships that included boys. One of them, Deanna Rix of Maine, finished second at 130 pounds. Michaela's sister, Melina, placed third at state six years ago.

Now Hutchison is in a class by herself.

"I don't care about (the significance) right now," she said. "I was excited to get done with the season. I'm been waiting for this for a while."

Hutchison's victory rivals other historic wins by women in male-dominated sports. Remember Libby Riddles? In 1985, she became the first female musher to win the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Riddles, along with four-time winner Susan Butcher, changed the rules of the game forever.

And Hutchison might do the same -- at least in Alaska.

Kent Bailo, director of the U.S. Girls Wresting Association, believes Hutchison's victory will help girls wrestling become a varsity sport. He estimates 4,000 to 5,000 girls wrestle in high schools nationwide. Yet, only Hawaii and Texas currently offer it as a girls sport. But Alaska might be next.

"I think coaches would want girls to have their own varsity sport," Bailo said. "Their boys would be so embarrassed if a girl won state. The coaches don't want girls taking away their medals."

Boss shouldn't feel embarrassed about losing to Hutchison. She's been No. 1-ranked at 103 all season. Hutchison finished the season with a 45-4 record that included 33 pins, one shy of the state single-season record.

Other boys who have wrestled against Hutchison said it was no big deal to lose to a girl, especially one as talented and tough as Hutchison. Kodiak's Tucker VanMatre was pinned by her in 47 seconds at the region championships two weeks ago.

"It was quick," VanMatre said. "She got me in an arm bar and turned me (over)."

Did she catch you by surprise?

"No," VanMatre added. "I expected it. She's good."

Hutchison was born to wrestle. She's one of 10 children and the third in her family to win a state title, joining brothers Zeb and Eli.

"They love the sport more than any other family I know," Gardner said. "This is a result of that dedication."

www.adn.com/sports/story/7418783p-7330454c.html
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for her!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a real mental element involved when a boy wrestles a girl. I watched a 103 pounder from my middleschool give a match to a girl once. That same male 103 pounder went on to have 40 wins, with 40 pins his freshman year of highschool. He could have mopped the floor with her, but didn't, and he never explained why.
Wrestling must be a lot different in Alaska than it was in Iowa. I've seen some girls really get pounded on the mat. No pun intended. I personally don't think girls have any place on a real wrestling team.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There is a real mental element involved when a boy wrestles a girl. I watched a 103 pounder from my middleschool give a match to a girl once. That same male 103 pounder went on to have 40 wins, with 40 pins his freshman year of highschool. He could have mopped the floor with her, but didn't, and he never explained why.
Wrestling must be a lot different in Alaska than it was in Iowa. I've seen some girls really get pounded on the mat. No pun intended. I personally don't think girls have any place on a real wrestling team.

Now THAT is denial...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was on the wrestling team I saw people get beat by girls on a regular basis.  Nothing new.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Eliminate mens and womens sports and just have sports teams.
Let the best person compete.
This proves it can be done and should be done.

I agree!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#7]
not only that but at the age of 14-18 its easy to be defeated mentally...a large crowed chearing on the girl the boy knowing he will never be able to walk into a room at school without snikers and comments....oh how life is fair ...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a few questions?

1) Is she hot?
2) The male wrestler cop a feel?
3) Did the female wrestler cop a feel?
4) Is she signing up for the Marine Corps?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I think they started all-girls high school wrestling this year.  I dont really follow sports, but this was on the front page, it kind of blew my mind.

My brother wrestled in HS, his first impression was that she was a skilled senior going up against a 103lb underclassman, the lower weight classes are mostly the younger wrestlers who are still growing.  He was amazed the girl was a sophomore, a male sophomore winning state would be pretty remarkable.  That a sophomore girl won is astonishing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, be kind of hard not to pitch a tent wouldn't it?

unless you were wrestling like an uber soldner helga.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#11]
she will have a bright future as a motivational speaker for young lesbians
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

crybaby...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a few questions?

1) Is she hot?HELL NO. Click the link. I think the only way you could tell is by a package check, which at her age is illegal for most of us to try
2) The male wrestler cop a feel?
3) Did the female wrestler cop a feel?
4) Is she signing up for the Marine Corps?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

crybaby...

huh?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Man, be kind of hard not to pitch a tent wouldn't it?.

Not really.  If your mind is on the fight, you will see nothing else.

If your mind is not on the fight, you will get your ass kicked by a wimp.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
not only that but at the age of 14-18 its easy to be defeated mentally...a large crowed chearing on the girl the boy knowing he will never be able to walk into a room at school without snikers and comments....oh how life is fair ...

pffft.

You know, I played ice hockey for near 15 years. I cannot even recall hearing the crowd, ever.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#17]

IBTCNWHRKHAP
(In Before The "Chuck Norris Would Have Roundhouse-Kicked Her Ass" Post)

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Tuck still catches a lot of shit for that .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Back in middle school, when wrestling was an acceptable form of flirting, I pinned quite a few girls.

I can't believe I am admitting that here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a girl on our fastpitch team that placed 2nd in the nation last year in wrestling. SHe is hte only girl locally that wrestles and competes with the boys on a regular basis.

Tough kid!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#22]
103 is a tough class.Kudos to her
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pffft.

You know, I played ice hockey for near 15 years. I cannot even recall hearing the crowd, ever.

I wrestled for 6 years. I also never heard any noise.

Edit, i had a 140 pounder on my team who got pinned by a girl,boy was he mad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Eliminate mens and womens sports and just have sports teams.
Let the best person compete.
This proves it can be done and should be done.

End of Title IX?

It could make the women in some sports programs like swimming, better...maybe unbeatable if they kept the Olympic events separate.

It would immediately lower the total number of girls/women in sports to about 10% of the present totals.

This will loosen things up for the males that want a career in professional field hockey...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A boy wrestling a girl has nothing to win and everything to lose, after all if he wins, he only beat a girl like he's supposed to do, but if he loses then he got beaten by a girl.

That's a serious mind screw for a kid that age, but going by te article she's a superior wrestler, "finished the season with a 45-4 record that included 33 pins, one shy of the state single-season record. Kodiak's Tucker VanMatre was pinned by her in 47 seconds at the region championships two weeks ago."

That's opening some serious cans of whup ass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I personally don't think girls have any place on a real wrestling team.

What's the matter, did a girl beat the ever loving shit out of you when you were young?

If a girl can cut it with a boy, do what a boy can, then she should be able to compete at the same level and be given the same opportunity.

This goes for firefighting, policework, combat you name it. Don't lower the standards, just allow them the opportunity. Most women can't hack it, but God bless the ones that can.

I admire this girl, and not you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was wrestling girls in my area were starting to get into wrestling. I saw a few guys get beat by girls and girls that beat guys, actually this one guy on my team 140lbs got beat by thesame girl 3 times. But in the guys defense, wrestling girls is much different...they are strong in different ways. Guys are stronger on top while girls were very strong on bottom, ie..hips and legs. Its a whole different game, much harder then it sounds.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Wrestling is all about technique.  If the other person is stronger just hold them off until they are tired, and then use your technique to own their ass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Wrestling is all about technique.  If the other person is stronger just hold them off until they are tired, and then use your technique to own their ass.

Thats called stalling,go for the kill while your energy level is at its highest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#30]
When I was in wrestling, I got a wrestle a girl once. She sucked so I was able to toy around with her. she was cute, It was fun

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]
The boys all lost cause they were too distracted trying to "cop a feel"
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Boys who wrestle do that no matter who they're wrestling.

Why else would you go into a sport where you get down on a mat and play grabass with another boy and you're both wearing leotards?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I personally don't think girls have any place on a real wrestling team.

What's the matter, did a girl beat the ever loving shit out of you when you were young?

If a girl can cut it with a boy, do what a boy can, then she should be able to compete at the same level and be given the same opportunity.

This goes for firefighting, policework, combat you name it. Don't lower the standards, just allow them the opportunity. Most women can't hack it, but God bless the ones that can.

I admire this girl, and not you.

I agree with 2IDdoc......and the answer to your question is "no" in advance.  Don't be a little bitch because someone has an opinion different than yours.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why else would you go into a sport where you get down on a mat and play grabass with another boy and you're both wearing leotards?

I think swing set likes pee-pees....just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I WISH I could have wrestled with some of the girls I went to HS with.MMMMMmmmm......
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have gotten your ass kicked by some wrestlers to make a comment like that.  When I wrestled it was call "mens wrestling" and "boys basketball" in high school. Wrestling is a mans sport and in this case a womens sport. Strength plays a hudge part in wrestling, so does technique and quickness.  It is also a very mental sport. I am not for eliminating girls sports, there would be very very few that would make a mixed team.  However, like this case if a girl wants to join a sport that is only offered for the boys, than she should be given the chance and e judged no different that anyone else. However that same standered wuld need to be applied to girl sports as well, like volleyball.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#38]
That's a Man-Cub, Baby!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#39]
my wife wrestled in high school, and i tell you what, i would'nt have wanted to go up against her. she is pretty shifty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have gotten your ass kicked by some wrestlers to make a comment like that.  When I wrestled it was call "mens wrestling" and "boys basketball" in high school. Wrestling is a mans sport and in this case a womens sport. Strength plays a hudge part in wrestling, so does technique and quickness.  It is also a very mental sport. I am not for eliminating girls sports, there would be very very few that would make a mixed team.  However, like this case if a girl wants to join a sport that is only offered for the boys, than she should be given the chance and e judged no different that anyone else. However that same standered wuld need to be applied to girl sports as well, like volleyball.

In Illinois, most high schools have boy's volleyball.  Luckily, since I ended up getting a full ride out of it.  Then of course I left that, and joined the Army anyways
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To win and prove your better.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think swing set likes pee-pees....just my opinion.

Well, you might be right. Why don't we meet somewhere and we'll figure it all out. Either you get beaten half to death or have the gay experience of a lifetime. Doesn't that sound exciting!?!?

Say, what color is your hair? Do you lift weights? Are you tall?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awwww....did I touch a nerve? Those one-piece tights you wrestlers wear must make you guys very sensitive.

To answer your question a wrestler never beat my ass, or tried to hump me. Guess I got lucky.

I had a choice in high school. We had boxing & wrestling. Both were fighting of sorts, only one involved rolling around with another sweaty guy and the other involved hitting him from arm's length.

It might say something about my character, but I chose boxing. 36-2-1 record, and I dispute to this day those losses because I was distracted thinking about how much I didn't want to wrestle with sweaty boys at the time.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Thanks for the laugh....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#45]
swingset, if you want to turn this into a wrestler vs. boxer thread, fine with me. Boxers loose that fight just about every time. Ever watch the UFC, see any good boxers ever win? Heck the former pro kick boxers with limited ground skills ussually get there asses handed to them by average wrestlers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
swingset, if you want to turn this into a wrestler vs. boxer thread, fine with me. Boxers loose that fight just about every time. Ever watch the UFC, see any good boxers ever win? Heck the former pro kick boxers with limited ground skills ussually get there asses handed to them by average wrestlers.

Awwww jeez, I'm just poking fun of you wrestlers. You're as defensive as the gays when someone teases you.....but that's being redundant, isn't it? Calling wrestlers gay?

I'm not saying I can beat Chuck Liddell in the ring, trust me I'm not up to it. I'm just saying that when you're picking a sport and you have the choice of punching a guy in the face, wearing loose shorts, or getting down on the ground with him and mounting him like a German shephard, which one is less gay? As sports go, I have thought for hours about what's the gayest, and wrestling is #1.

Figure skating is less gay, really. Think about it. You wear more clothes, you get to hold women in the air by their hoochies, and you never have to maul a man on the ground. So, clearly wrestling is king ghey of sports.

That's my point, Mr. Sensitive.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey Schwin set.  You are a flaming fuckin faggot, and can talk all the tough talk you want behind the safety of your keyboard in between your gay chat room forays.  It is so cliche to challenge someone you've never met to a fight over the internet, (how original) because you know that in all likelihood and practicality, the opportunity will never present itself, but if you ever find yourself in the New England area, maybe you can IM me and I'll direct you to all the rest areas so you can peddle your wares.  Be sure to dress real purdy.......faggot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#48]
IM sent to swing set letting him know what a little dick licking bitch he is.  Nuff said.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#49]
When I was in wrestling it was rare that a girl wrestle would be heard of.  The ones that did show up usually got their butts kicked but occassionally they would get a win.  For anyone to win a state championship in wrestling is pretty impressive.  The 103 weight makes puts both guys and girls on a fairly even footage as at that weight both have very little muscle mass so it comes down to technic more than strength.  Unless a girl is on steroids I don't see one winning state in any of the higher weight classes just due to the natural difference in muscles and strength between men and women.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

ROFL, I think I remember hearing something like that once, about how it was a lose lose situation.

If you win people make fun of your because you only beat a girl, but if you lost people make fun of your because you got beat by a girl.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top