Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:52:28 PM EDT
I am trying to get some video from my digital camcorder onto my pic, but have run into a problem.

When I click the "Capture video" button in Windows Movie Maker, it tells me that it can't because it syas: "A video capture device was not detected. Verify a device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again."

I'm trying to use a fire wire cable (Isn't that what your supposed to do?) I have a Canon NTSC ZR65MC. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:55:53 PM EDT
Make sure your camera is turned on and hasent automatically powered off if it if running off battery. It should be auto detected when you plug the cable in a turn the power on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 1:01:21 PM EDT by Beefypeanut]

Originally Posted By Crappybob:
Make sure your camera is turned on and hasent automatically powered off if it if running off battery. It should be auto detected when you plug the cable in a turn the power on.

It's on and it doesn't automatically detect it.

ETA: I'm probably missing some software or a driver, I just don't know what.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:03:41 PM EDT
If it's like my sony, you may have to turn on a firewire transfer mode, mine dosen't switch automaticly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:10:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARkie:
If it's like my sony, you may have to turn on a firewire transfer mode, mine dosen't switch automaticly.

How do I do that?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:06:39 PM EDT
I was using USB on mine the one time I tried it, it has a function in the menu called USB stream, I had to turn that on. I got a DVR with a DVD burner in it, I just use the A/V cable to transfer tapes to it to burn a DVD, it seems to have better video quality than the samples I did when I got the camera. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:18:51 PM EDT
My camera doesn't have this sort of thing. Any other ideas Arfcommers?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:20:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 5:47:03 PM EDT by gaspain]
turn off zonealarm.

put the camera into VCR mode, or playback mode. Not record mode.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 4:22:31 PM EDT by pale_pony]
Firewire beats the crap out of even the fastest USB 2 for video transfer. That being said, your CPU should recognize the Firewire connection as soon as it is connected and powered-up.

I can't vouch for Windoze Movie Maker, I use Premiere and sometimes ULEAD but the command protocols that control the digital camcorders are pretty much standardized now.

Edited to add: Be sure to turn off anything else unnecessary, especially internet connections and anti-virus/firewall crap that can slow your CPU down or confuse it with needless use.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:07:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
turn off zonealarm.

what is zonealarm?

Pale_Pony, I have ULEAD, and I tried it in that, I even tried reinstalling it, but it still didn't work.

It's probably something simple, that I'm missing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Beefypeanut:

turn off zonealarm.

what is zonealarm?

Pale_Pony, I have ULEAD, and I tried it in that, I even tried reinstalling it, but it still didn't work.

It's probably something simple, that I'm missing.

zone alarm is a personal firewall..
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:14:29 AM EDT
is your camera turned on and in playback mode

also are you using a firewire card or onboard firewire...are the drivers installed for the firewire.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:19:07 AM EDT
have you tried re-installing the software
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:27:32 AM EDT

is your camera turned on and in playback mode

also are you using a firewire card or onboard firewire...are the drivers installed for the firewire.

yes, my camera is in playback mode. As for the firewire question, I got the hardware and put it on one of the empty bays in my computor. I'm not sure if the drivers for the firewire are installed, where can I get them?

I already tried to twonami as well.

I tried it on two computors and the other one has gotten video from this camera before.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:33:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 10:34:19 AM EDT by gaspain]
Right click on "My computer", "properties", "hardware" go to "device manager" and look for any yellow question marks. Report back.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:55:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 7:42:18 PM EDT by Beefypeanut]
The only yellow question mark is the one on the top row for the Help button. What should I search for?

I found the drop down menu for the IEEE 1394 Host Controller, can I o anything with that? I already tried "Update Driver" and "Scan for hardware changes"

I'm pretty sure it's the camera, because one of the computors I already used to get stuff from it, and now it won't work. I have a Canon ZR65MC. Any special things you owners know that need to be set on it for it to work?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:27:06 PM EDT
Bump.
Top Top