Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:12:36 AM EDT
Just curious as to whether or not the Mennonites are anti gun, or if they hunt and such. I thought they would be anti gun because of their pacifism stance, but not sure. Anybody have any Mennonite friends they could ask?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mennonites are more liberal than Amish (own/drive cars, brighter colored clothes, etc.) and the Amish all have guns and hunt. I would assume the Mennonites have guns too for hunting. OT, friend told me that Amish are patriotic because they shoot deer from July 5th year round until the July 3rd, and take the fourth off. (local joke)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The town I lived in in Kentucky had a good sized menonite population. I only knew 1 that I talked to with any frequency. She said her ex-husband was a hunter.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Amish and Mennonites near my farm (you know where that is in relation to you, ShamusMcOI) are hellish deer killers.  The game warden told me they completely ignore game laws and kill the hell out of deer at will.  

EXACTLY!

God's deer.Not the states!
Their motto,at least around here,is "NONE shall pass!"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Most menonites I know hunt and own firearms.

Most would also probably shoot someone if they had to.

Most are Menonites because they were raised as Menonites, not because they agree with every point of Menonite teaching.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of them may have difficulty buying firearms now.

When I was working for Galyan's we had an Amish gentleman come in wanting a Ruger .44 Blackhawk.  When I asked for a photo ID, he said his religion prohibited photographs. I contacted NICS, ATF and FBI to see if there was any loophole that would allow me to sell him a firearm without a photo ID.  There was not.  I denied the sale.  At the time I wondered if I was not violating his rights under the 1st and 2nd ammendments.

He ended up coming back with a photo ID and purchasing the firearm.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]

I don't know about guns, but I do know that the Mennonite Miller's Breadbasket in SC has the best lunch you'll find north of Helen, GA.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Amish have trouble buying guns and getting ID's because they don't get social security numbers until they have trouble with the IRS.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I live not far from Amish country..about 1/4 of the world's Amish live out that way.  In Sugarcreek Oh, there is a Amish gunshop.. The guy sells bolt action rifles, shotguns of all kinds Kimber and S.A. 1911's Ruger handguns,rifles. scopes ,you name it and is'nt the least bit scared of the occasional Ar,AK, that may come in the door. Prices are fair..carries reloading supplys at a fair price, his powder prices are usually a little bit better than anyone else around here. Kinda odd to see some buggy's parked out front, but hey, it's Amishland... I do remember I went out there once last spring...and he was just putting a pre-ban Colt AR back in the box...He got it in a trade, and told me, "this one's going across the street"pointing to his house.... So, yeah, Amish, Mennoites, own guns...some of them own lots of them...and around here, they aren't the only ones ingoring hunting regulations regarding deer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
............ Kinda odd to see some buggy's parked out front, but hey, it's Amishland... .

Did they have gun racks in teh back too
And pictures of Bass and Deer?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Mennonites maintain arsenals.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top