Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:13:36 AM EDT
Which Sig has the thinnest grip? I recently brought a Sig SP2009 online and when it got here, the grip was too large for my hand. I need a gun that is going to feel secure in my hand and this did not. Which model should I be looking for? I had a 220 and it was barely ok, I 'd  rather something that fir a bit snugger. Are the 226 or 229 smaller?

Any suggestions?

p.s. I have been to a few local gun shops and all they really carry are 220's and the plastic Sigs.    
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot at 226.  It is not small, but it fits my hand well, good ergonomics.  I don't have large hands, either, but it works well for me.

My Sig-fu is weak these days, but the 220 is a single stack magazine?  If so, you probably won't find a smaller grip, except maybe their .380!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
How about a Sig P239?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Which Sig has the thinnest grip? I recently brought a Sig SP2009 online and when it got here, the grip was too large for my hand. I need a gun that is going to feel secure in my hand and this did not. Which model should I be looking for? I had a 220 and it was barely ok, I 'd  rather something that fir a bit snugger. Are the 226 or 229 smaller?

Any suggestions?

p.s. I have been to a few local gun shops and all they really carry are 220's and the plastic Sigs.    

The single stack 9mm Sigs have the narrowest grip. The P225 and P239 series of pistols are the only ones that are going to feel significantly different in your hand. The P226 is actually a fairly big piece, and the P229 is also a double stack pistol. The double stack Sigs tend to be a tad wide. They are excellent pistols, but a bit too wide for my taste.

The P225 and P239, however, are very svelte little pieces, though your ammo capacity is restricted.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
P220 or P239 both have single column mags and have much thinner grips compared to the double-column mag guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#5]
The 220 has a thinner grip, but it feels a bit larger from front to back.  I find the 220 with a Hogue wraparound grip to be perfect.  The 225 is a great, single stack 9mm, but mags aren't cheap.  Never handled a 239, but I would imagine it would be pretty similar.  You might also check out the 245, it's a single stack .45 ACP, but then you're really cutting down on your capacity, 6+1.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#6]
So with the Hogue grip the 220 is actually thinner than with the Sig factory grips it comes with?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So with the Hogue grip the 220 is actually thinner than with the Sig factory grips it comes with?

I'm not saying that exactly.  They may or may not be thinner, they just feel better.  The 220 has a higher bore-axis than some .45's and therefore it tends to be a bit whippy especially if you're running +P loads through it.  By putting the Hogue grip on there it makes the recoil easier to handle.  It also makes the pistol point better in my opinion.  I have pretty small hands, medium motorcycle gloves fit fine, and the 220 with Hogue grip works fine in my hands.  If you wanted, you could probably have Teddy Jacobson of Actions by T "cut down" your grips to half thickness.  He did that with a Beretta I had.  Made a huge difference.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#8]
With the Sig Pro series, like what you have know, you can get a smaller grip for them so its more comfortable.  They are scheap, $10 at the most.  I suggest you try that before you ditch one of the truly underated firearms on the market.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I just sold my Pro 2009 that I ordered online from Teknic. I trie d both grip plates and they were both too big for my hand to comfortably fit around the grip enough to where I felt comfortable.

I'm not giving up on Sig, that's why I am asking about a smaller grip here. My 220 was the most reliable gun I EVER owned.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just sold my Pro 2009 that I ordered online from Teknic. I trie d both grip plates and they were both too big for my hand to comfortably fit around the grip enough to where I felt comfortable.

I'm not giving up on Sig, that's why I am asking about a smaller grip here. My 220 was the most reliable gun I EVER owned.

I'm sure you had your reasons, but why did you sell your Sig 220?    Don't ever sell a Sig, they're like a fine wine, they get better with age.  I think the choice is becoming more and more obvious, you need to replace the 220.  I'd reccommend picking one up that was made in the late '90s.  They have the safety intercept notch that early Sigs didn't, and they have smoother triggers than new ones due to the different mainspring.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey, you wanna throw up even more?

I sold the 220 for a POS Kimber CDP that never ran right due to the external extractor. What's even worse, I was a whore back then and sold it to the gun store towards the price of the Kimber. He gave me 150 credit for it

Go ahead and say it....I already know!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I have small hands and my Sig 229 with the factory grip panels was a pleasure to hold. I changed grips to the Hogue finger-groove style and it's still fine.

Typically I wear a medium glove, and the Glock 21 is a little bit bigger than I like, so take my advice for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#13]
How would you all rate the 229 for CCW? That was one of my hangups with the 220.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The 229 is a decent carry piece, but I highly suggest you try out the 239 as well.  The 239 is smaller, but sstill hefty enough to fill out bigger hands.

While on duty, I carry a 226 for my primary and a 232 as my back-up.  I also carry the 232 for "no show" carry.    
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#15]
The P230/P232 have the thinnest grips.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How would you all rate the 229 for CCW? That was one of my hangups with the 220.

I CCW my 229 every day with a Blade-Tech IWB. Works just fine. As long as I wear a half-way decent belt it's fine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#17]
My P239 has a thin grip. I carry it as my CCW most often for that reason because I carry IWB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top