Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 12:50:46 PM EDT
Wife found a lady that wants to get rid of a couple of female great dane puppies about 6 weeks old. Supposedly they're pure blood but no papers. Other than them growing up to be huge, any hints as to what I'm in for?

What sort of natures do Great Dane's tend to have, any special illnesses I need to be alert to? Anything? I've got no clues as to this breed so any help would be muchly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Great Dane club

Never had one, but my aunt did when I was a kid.  They had a saddle for it (pony saddle) and us kids would ride it like a horse.  Was a great dog.  Extremely gentle, quiet and loveable as hell.  Be ready for an extreme dog food bill.  50# of food a week probably....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They don't live long.  And they will take huge dumps on your floor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You're in for not much sleep, that's for sure!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Great dog!!!!!
They are gentle with family members and will be great for kids.
They get along with other dogs too.
Most large dogs to have short life span and they do eat a lot.
DO NOT LET THEM GET FAT!  Keep them lean.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
my mother had one when she was growing up. so when we were growing up in my family she got another.

friendly for the most part. dont live as as long as other dogs. relatively short hair. make decent pets if you have room. dont seem to need to run around as much as some dogs like a working german shepard.

as big as it was it slept on the end of my parents bed.

when it got old it got arthritis. we used to give it percodans for pain. i used to steal the dogs percs when i had a hangover.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Heroin?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Great big loveable lugs that eat like water buffalos. Great dogs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

when it got old it got arthritis. we used to give it percodans for pain. i used to steal the dogs percs when i had a hangover.

Wow.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They don't live long.  And they will take huge dumps on your floor.

That goes for hobos too.  

They are great dogs and should be good home security too.   I've never owned one but the ones I have been around were mild mannered dogs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
very mild mannered and sweet animals

big babies really
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Prepare for lots of Dog Shit.

Great Dogs, you will have your hands full.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

dog was a s big as a man..dosage was right. oxycodone is not herion. this is in the 60's/70's. wasn't like we fed it percs every day. it would get sore and limp sometimes and whine. we'd feed it the little yellow manila endo 122 thingies..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're keeping the pups in the kitchen while they're teething, paint the baseboards (i.e., outside corners) and anything else they may chew with Tabasco. Reapply as needed. And give them plenty of other things to chew.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top