Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 3:16:21 PM EDT
So I talked with some from the NRA today about the DC Personal Protection Act. It was a specific question on why the act would not legalize shotguns with barrels from 18" to 20".

DC Law bans any shotgun with a barrel under 20".

I was told by doing that they might offend some legslators and lose support of the bill.

It had to do with this defintion:

"15) "Sawed-off shotgun" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than 20 inches in length; or a firearm made from a shotgun if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or any barrel of less than 20 inches in length."

So some legislators might find a Remington 870 express pump action hunting shotgun offensive.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:20:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 3:21:38 PM EDT by speedfreak955]
Sounds Defensive to me...
If defensive is offensive then you need to look at the motives of the people finding them offensive
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:21:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:07:35 PM EDT
Small steps my friend. Small steps in the right direction. Then momentum is on our side.

wganz

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:39:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wganz:
Small steps my friend. Small steps in the right direction. Then momentum is on our side.

wganz

+1

Rights have been lost a little at a time.
We're not gonna get them back in one fell swoop (sp?).
I wish it was that easy.

The ship is starting to turn slowly, but it is turning.

HKO
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:42:10 PM EDT
Just who would you be offending?

Either your pro-gun or not
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:45:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Sans a shotgun having a barrel of less than 20 inches in length; or a firearm made from a shotgun if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or any barrel of less than 20 inches in length."

So some legislators might find a Remington 870 express pump action hunting shotgun offensive.

No they probably would not, however a "sawed off shotgun" is "offensive" remember your avarage congressman/constituant knows nothing about guns , and allowing people to have sawed off shotguns does not sound good, irreguardless of what the actual definitions are
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:48:53 PM EDT
So just exclude those words from the bill but still change the definition, i.e "striking 20 in line ten of section XXX and replacing it with 18"

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:56:25 PM EDT

No, that's not really accurate.
Some legislators are very pro gun, others very anti gun. But a lot are inbetween, with no firm convictions either way and could vote pro gun on some bills, anti on others.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:57:29 PM EDT

NRA: We don't want to offend legislators

Whiny Arfcommers: We don't want to spend money to ensure our gun rights don't get legistlated away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:59:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

No, that's not really accurate.
Some legislators are very pro gun, others very anti gun. But a lot are inbetween, with no firm convictions either way and could vote pro gun on some bills, anti on others.

On an issue of allowing handguns back into DC I fail to see how one can be wishy washy on the issue
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:01:36 PM EDT

It is not a matter of being wishy washy... it is a matter of knowing what you can get at the time taking that and then moving on to the next step. This incremental approach is going to be more effective than a take all or nothing attitude.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:22:05 PM EDT by NYPatriot]
CRC, why are trying to stir up shit tonight by mischaracterizing the NRA's efforts & by posting 2001 survey results like they were published yesterday???

I swear... you flirt with being a troll all too often.
Top Top