Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:09:14 PM EDT
So how can you change your IP address. I have TW cable internet so not sure if I have to contact them to do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you pay extra for a static IP, the IP that is provided to your modem is dynamic (e.g. it is allocated to you from a pool and will eventually change).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
if u have a router, change its MAC, the  modem will give it a new ip after u reboot it..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Unless you pay extra for a static IP, the IP that is provided to your modem is dynamic (e.g. it is allocated to you from a pool and will eventually change).

Or not.  I've had the same one for years.  It depends on how your provider's DHCP is configured.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you have a static ip address, just unplug your modem for like 30 seconds and you should get a new one when it reconnects.

Or

If your computer is hooked straight to the modem and not through a router, go to start, run, type cmd, then in the window type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew that will also give you a new one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If you change your MAC you will probably have to let the cable company know about it. Otherwise, your Interweb may stop working.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or not.  I've had the same one for years.  It depends on how your provider's DHCP is configured.

Good point. If the DCHP lease is set to a very large expiration time, you basically get a static IP for free.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good point. If the DCHP lease is set to a very large expiration time, you basically get a static IP for free.

I've had the same dynamic IP address for years. I haven't tried an IPCONFIG/RELEASE followed by an /RENEW to see what happens with my ISPs DNS.

+1 on release and renew  to try

normally though  if you leave the cable modem off overnight.    replug it back in and you might get a new ip address
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Alot of factors depends on your cable company and their systems. Some pable companies use your cable modem's HFC mac address to permit access and get DHCP leases by. You can't change the HFC mac. Some companies use the HFC mac to grant access and the computer mac to grant DCHP leases. In this case, changing your computer network card or router mac may effectivly give you a new IP. Other companies use your computer/router mac to grant access and lease IPs to. In this case changing your mac will deny you access to the network.

Some cable companies grant long lease times while others are short. you may be able to call your cable company and ask them to delete your lease to change your ip address.

-Foxxz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top