Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 4:25:29 PM EDT
I saw a show about this stuff the other night.  It's 140 proof. Some company found a 100 year old original bottle of this stuff and have recreated it. They sell it via a website in Europe and ship to U.S.  .. although it is still illegal in the U.S.

Anybody ever try this stuff?  Is it worth the $100 per bottle?  Is it your normal buzz or does it really make you hallucinate?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Search the archive for some of Quietshootr's Absinthe posts!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTLTTM

(In Before the Link to Tucker Max)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yay. Booze AND hallucinogens. There's no way that could be anything BUT awesome!
Ugh.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
What has it been?  two months since the last one?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
At least 3 months ... I did search the archive yet ...  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I guess we are due then.  You know, this gets so much activity here, somebody needs to start selling Absinthe in the EE!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I think its closer to 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Once, when I was younger.  I didn't see what the big deal was.

Works best when consumed with sugar.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
If there are any nerds here like myself ... you probably saw it on G4TV last night (old TechTV on cable).  Apparantly the proper way to drink it is to dilute it with ice cold water until it turns a cloudy green .... then bottoms up.    

The archive site is slow as crap tonight ... I'll research another time ...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh yay. Booze AND hallucinogens. There's no way that could be anything BUT awesome!
Ugh.

+1!

just remember,  from now on you will be lying on your 4473's when buying a gun when it asks "are you a user of an illegal substance?"

i wonder what the penalties for possession of absinthe are.  i wonder if getting caught with it makes you ineligible for student loans, certain gov't jobs, etc etc.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
just remember, you from now on you will be lying on your 4473's when buying a gun when it asks "are you a user of an illegal substance?"

IIRC, it is illegal to import, not to possess or imbibe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty overrated....

I've had the stuff.  It's pretty tasty, but not some sort of magic booze that will take you to new levels of drunken fun.  If it were legal it would be just as popular as every other kind of liquor around here.

If you want a good anise flavored liquor, it would be something to consider, but it's not worth the $200/bottle not to mention the risk of confiscation if you try to import it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm very curious to find out more about something so mysterious and controversial.

If you have personal experience with Absinthe please PM or IM me with all the details
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll stick with the acid and jim beam
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
What's the worst that could happen?  Cut off your ear and mail it to your girlfriend?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Search the archive for some of Quietshootr's Absinthe posts!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess we are due then.  You know, this gets so much activity here, somebody needs to start selling Absinthe in the EE!  

I'm in for a group buy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Do not over-consume.  I would suggest 2 shots tops.

(I knew I'd learn a lot in those months I spent in Europe!)

- BG
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A lot of people are dead BECAUSE of that shit.

A lot of people went INSANE because of it, too.

You'd have to be at least three kinds of stupid to want to try that shit.

CJ

What?

Please explain where you're getting your info from.
From my limited research it doesn't sound to different from Tequila.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Absinthe is not that big of a deal. It's not even really an alcohol. It's just a sweet drink (an herbal liqueur) which in heavy consumption can cause hallucinations due to a buildup of chemical in the system called thujone which is illegal for consumption in the US.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in for a group buy.

I'm in for a group buy!  Maybe some of our members currently stationed in Europe can help us all out!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#23]
A few years ago I took an art class at Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio. I graduated from there.

Vincent Van Gogh was a topic for awhile. He was a heavy absinthe drinker.

Toward the end of his life, he cut off his ear and tried to give it to Paul Gaugin, another impessionist, who didn't want it (gay spat?) He then gave it to a local hooker ... lord only knows.

He soon after shot himself, but not very well. It took more than a day for him to die. Sounds like a life out of control.

One of the psychoactive properties of absinthe is said to be the vision of corona around light sources - saturn-like rings around stars, the moon, lamps, etc.

Here's one of Van Gogh's more famous works, Starry Night. See the rings? Looks like the stuff worked pretty well for him.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.absinth24.net/

Absinthe rose to popularity in the mid 19th century only after the decades long phylloxera blight of the vineyards caused the price of wine to soar and its availability to plummet. By the late 1800s, La F�ee Verte - the Green Fairy as absinthe was nicknamed - was being consumed with such fervour by the Parisian artistic and literary set (and nearly everyone else) that the cocktail hour was renamed L�Heure Verte. Among its devotees were Oscar Wilde, Ernest Dowson, Pablo Picasso, Artur Rimbaud, Paul Verlaine, Alistair Crowley, and Charles Baudelaire. Van Gogh�s ear-cutting incident is popularly attributed to absinthe intoxication. However, Van Gogh was also fond of eating his oil paints and drinking turpentine (principally a-pinene) and had long been highly unstable and self-destructive.

The advent of the prohibition and Christian-temperance movements coincided with the success of the vintners in reconstituting their industry with New World cuttings immune to the insect blight. The vintners next urgently sought a way to recover their millions of customers and woo them from the Fairy�s embrace. They joined forces with the anti-alcohol movements, who had arisen in response to the "Great Binge" of the Belle Epoch. Pamphleteers (notably Zola) and journalists were enlisted or employed; politicians and legislators cajoled or suborned. A massive anti-absinthe campaign in the press along with some lurid murder cases -- conveniently but unconvincingly laid at the Fairy�s door -- led to the domino effect of European bans between 1910 (Switzerland) and 1915 (France).

But were wormwood and its active agent, a-thujone, such menaces? A.absinthium has been used for millenia as a vermifuge and digestif tonic. And contrary to general opinion, a-thujone does not only occur in wormwood. It is a major component of the essential oils of such homely culinary herbs as sage, tansy, and tarragon. No one seems to be having neurotoxic problems from eating these commonplace spices. Absinthe was never banned in Spain, Portugal and a few other European countries, and its production and consumption in those places never ceased. In Switzerland�s francophone Jura region bootleg absinthe called La Bleue has been produced clandestinely ever since 1910; estimates put its bootleggers at about 130, making more than 50,000 liters a year, little of which ever leaves Switzerland. Yet the folks in Neuchatel seem no worse for the wear. Those mountains are famous for ergotism not absinthism.

The EU allows absinthe of commerce to contain up to 10 mg/Kg -- equivalent to parts per million -- which is mild compared to the estimated 60-90 mg/Kg of premium Belle Epoch absinthes. But several modern Spanish and Czech brands actually contain no detectable thujone (and therefore can be presumed to have been made without A.absinthium) while some pastis -- fake absinthes introduced after the bans -- may contain more than 30 mg/Kg. Some vermouths -- the name is a derivative and corruption of wormwood which is used in flavoring these blended wines -- contain more a-thujone than many absinthes. Thus the martini is a chemical cousin of absinthe!

a-Thujone meanwhile is an important component in salves, perfumes, creams, etc. usually as a counter-irritant. The familiar Vicks Vap-O-Rub one�s mother rubs on their chest for rlief from a cold contains thujone and other terpenes. So does Absorbine Jr. The anti-insect and preservative properties of white cedar used for clothes chests is due to the thujone in the wood; the classical name for white cedar is Thuja, whence the terpene gets its name. Van Gogh�s doctor sentimentally planted a thuja tree at Vincent�s grave.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#25]
there is a 10mL and a 100mL version. I tried the 100mL, it was disgusting, I think it is like 170 proof or something, but that's not the worst part, it tastes like an alcoholic tree. I just felt drunk and pretty light headed with some wierd effects to my vision. But there was no color changing, shit that isn't there or anything like that, that you might expect from a hallucinogen.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
there is a 10mL and a 100mL version. I tried the 100mL, it was disgusting, I think it is like 170 proof or something, but that's not the worst part, it tastes like an alcoholic tree. I just felt drunk and pretty light headed with some wierd effects to my vision. But there was no color changing, shit that isn't there or anything like that, that you might expect from a hallucinogen.

There are many variations to the flavor.  If you want to feel the good stuff but not be too drunk get something thats a lower % alchohol but higher percentage thujone (something around 30%).  It usually takes about 3 glasses.  The drunk you get from it isnt like regular alcohol.  Its more of a feeling of clarity
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A lot of people are dead BECAUSE of that shit.

A lot of people went INSANE because of it, too.

You'd have to be at least three kinds of stupid to want to try that shit.

CJ

The dead and insane are due to the unsafe stuff that was made in the 19th century. The stuff you buy in Europe now is only a little more dangerous than regular booze. The bottle I bought in Amsterdam was only about $50.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#28]
You will see shit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#30]
its well regulated (worm-wood)...basically its 1% of the strength/concentration that is supposed to be....so its no different than drinking any other liquor at this point...its all hype.  been to Europe,...the only people that were buying it were the US military guys on leave from their local base, and some people on my study abroad trip....its a tourist item..
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ugh.

If its anything like the time I took 5 hits of Purple Mescaline , a 12 oz SCrewdriver made out of water Tang and Vodka, and I cant count how many beers and bonghits, then...

Count me out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Absinthe kicks some serious ass.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Remember George Smith? The honeymooner that "fell" off the side of the cruise ship?
Guess what they think he was partying on?

msnbc.msn.com/id/10928887/
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Pretty overrated....

I've had the stuff.  It's pretty tasty, but not some sort of magic booze that will take you to new levels of drunken fun.  If it were legal it would be just as popular as every other kind of liquor around here.

If you want a good anise flavored liquor, it would be something to consider, but it's not worth the $200/bottle not to mention the risk of confiscation if you try to import it.

+1  

I've had it in Barcelona and Prague.  The kind of people who claim to trip and see things are the kind who get "drunk" off non-alcoholic beer.  Its a really strange type of drunk, but still just drunk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Remember George Smith? The honeymooner that "fell" off the side of the cruise ship?

I believe his "fall" had more to do with his wife being a whore than the Absinthe!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe his "fall" had more to do with his wife being a whore than the Absinthe!

Probably, but I'm sure being bombed out of his skull didn't help his situational awareness
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:54:45 AM EDT
[#37]
absinthe is shit. my bro got ahold of some and gave it to his wife. she and i polished off the bottle and she got loopy as a motherfucker. didn't affect me one frigging bit. not even a slight buzz...sux being a neanderthal...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#38]
It tastes like Vomit.  Had it in the Netherlands.  
The bar was charging like 7$ a shot, what a Waste of good money...

I slipped off the bar stool, but at least I didnt cut my ear off...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a bottle at the house.  It isn't bad at all.  If any of you would like to try some...let me know when you make it to FL next.  I will hook you up.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I think it tastes horrible.  I wouldn't pay even $10 for a bottle of it.

I bought a bottle once for $70 and ended up giving it away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top