Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
Do you believe that someone born poor in this country, could, with enough ambition and singleminded determiness legally become rich?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
yep
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#2]
UH......DUH
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]
there are some people who believe that there is no real rich people...

When other people consider you to be rich you may consider yourself to be finically secure.

So if you were to legally aquire lets say one million dollars every year for life then at first you may consider yourself to be rich then after you start to get into the million lifestile you will probably consider yourself to be Finically secure.

So Everyone wants to be rich and in America it is possiable.  In a way it's done every day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I know it can happen.  It happened to me.  Soon I'll have so much money I'll be able to wipe my rear-end with twenty dollar bills if I wanted to.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know it can happen.  It happened to me.  Soon I'll have so much money I'll be able to wipe my rear-end with twenty dollar bills if I wanted to.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/lawdog530/Lawdog.gif

I'll buy those contaminated $20's for $5 each.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]

It may be a little more diffcult to do so these days, and "hard work" certainly doesn't guarantee anything, but of course it is possible, and lots of people do it.

Just looking around my small circle of friends and family:

My wife is a professor at one of the most prestigious private universities in the south, makes six figures - and grew up in trailers in Florida with a single mom. That's pretty poor.  While I wouldn't say she is "rich" she certainly would have been if she had stayed in industry, where she was fast-tracking to the executive suite (academics is her second career, because she got bored with industry).

One of my good friends, who is a professor at USC in L.A. grew up a poor Korean immigrant (his parents immigrated here when he was a little kid), and his parents worked their fingers to the bone to give him a good life.  He's also making six figures, and his house (that he bought for 300K six years ago) is now worth about a million.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]
US yes...African caste system (Or any caste system for that matter) No
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Define 'rich'.

+1
You can be pretty successful yea, but if you want to get "Bill Gates" or "Donald Trump" rich, you will have to dick some people over along the way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Proof,  beee- yotch.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Sure. It's reasonably straightforward. Get an education, get a job, get married but not divorced, get two incomes, save roughly 15-20% of your income per year and invest it. Do that for about 35 years.

At retirement something like 10% of the population is a millionare. that was as of 2001; it's probably more these days, especially with the house price runup.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do you believe that someone born poor in this country, could, with enough ambition and singleminded determiness legally become rich?

If we define "rich" as retiring with a few million in the bank, then yes.  Absolutely anyone can do that.  If we define "rich" as having several hundred million in the bank by your mid 40's, then the answer is still "yes, if you are very, very lucky".

ETA:  Read "The millionaire next door" to see how to accomplish the first task.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/lawdog530/Lawdog.gif

Why don't you become a member and use that pic as your avatar?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It may be a little more diffcult to do so these days, and "hard work" certainly doesn't guarantee anything, but of course it is possible, and lots of people do it.

Just looking around my small circle of friends and family:

My wife is a professor at one of the most prestigious private universities in the south, makes six figures - and grew up in trailers in Florida with a single mom. That's pretty poor.  While I wouldn't say she is "rich" she certainly would have been if she had stayed in industry, where she was fast-tracking to the executive suite (academics is her second career, because she got bored with industry).

One of my good friends, who is a professor at USC in L.A. grew up a poor Korean immigrant (his parents immigrated here when he was a little kid), and his parents worked their fingers to the bone to give him a good life.  He's also making six figures, and his house (that he bought for 300K six years ago) is now worth about a million.

i guess, the question was asked, define "rich."

If that is what you have in mind, ask yourself the question, is what I want money?  if so, how much, and what for.  You may set yourself up for frustration by never reaching your goal.  What really is it to be rich?  DKprof's wife was doing well but was unhappy enough to change careers and still earns a good income.  Strike a balance between money  (and the comfort it affords you physicallyJ) and job satisfaction.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What I find difficult to believe is that an American could even ask that question.

When you say "legally become rich", are you implying that rich people are mostly criminals?

Is there something keeping you from being rich?  Some outside force holding you back?

I'm not trying to be snide, or pick a fight with you.  I really just don't understand why people are so negative, and "believe" they are stuck with their lot in life.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I find difficult to believe is that an American could even ask that question.

I was having a discussion on Capitalism with a Liberalesque friend earlier and I was trying to see if most of you agree with me

When you say "legally become rich", are you implying that rich people are mostly criminals?
I didn't want answers like "yeah just  rob a bank!"

Is there something keeping you from being rich?  Some outside force holding you back?

same thing that keeps anyone else from becoming rich I suppose, lack of that total dedication to wealth creation(otherwise I would never have bought my AR's and other toys)

I'm not trying to be snide, or pick a fight with you.  I really just don't understand why people are so negative, and "believe" they are stuck with their lot in life.

I never said, nor do I believe, that I'm stuck in life

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was having a discussion on Capitalism with a Liberalesque friend earlier and I was trying to see if most of you agree with me

I didn't want answers like "yeah just  rob a bank!"

same thing that keeps anyone else from becoming rich I suppose, lack of that total dedication to wealth creation(otherwise I would never have bought my AR's and other toys)

I never said, nor do I believe, that I'm stuck in life

Even with your context of it being someone else's question, my statement still stands.  I don't understand why an American .....  any American....  would ask that question.

I'm glad you don't believe that tripe, and I hope you told your commie/libtard acquaintence that they need to report for political re-education!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]
this question is stupid. The answer is: DUH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top