Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 11:31:50 AM EDT
I had switched to using Splenda instead of sugar about 6 months ago in my coffee (shit says it is made from sugar, I just found out they add a couple CHLORINE molecules) .  After a while I started getting searing pains in my stomach whenever I had coffee, but not when I bought espressos and stuff.  I almost quit drinking coffee altogether then I realized I had been drinking coffee for 20 years with no ill effect and the only change i had made recently was to switch to Splenda.  I quit using Splenda a month ago, and have been drinking coffee every day and not had any problems since.

I can only conclude that me and Splenda do not get along for some reason.  Anyone else have problems?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
No problems in 2 years of use... bodies react differently to different things my grandmother had a reaction to Ivory soap and I have a friend that is allergic to turkey.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
gives me horrendous amounts of gas.  Ican fill a whole house up with gas.  I sound like the horn section of a band.  I'm sure you guys have the same problem....guys?       anyone?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
gives me horrendous amounts of gas.  Ican fill a whole house up with gas.  I sound like the horn section of a band.  I'm sure you guys have the same problem....guys?       anyone?

No gas, just sharp, stabbing pain in my gut like I had eaten glass or something.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Chlorine gas is dangerous

edit/spelling
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I "cut" it with my sugar for my tea, straight Splenda tasted "empty". I started with one cup of sugar per gallon of sweet tea. I then replaced one quarter-cup with Splenda until it was one quarter cup of sugar and a half cup of Splenda over a week or so. I used to use 2 whole cups of sugar per gallon years ago.

I don't know how "Splenda for cooking" works yet but it's got to beat Nutrasweet or saccharine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
al l that diet crap tastes the same.. like ass... 1 sip, and i can taste it for a week...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
how do you like thier TV commercials? They manage to get one child of every ethnic background into the action.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Splenda has a Wierd taste to me...doesn't taste like sugar.  (I can also taste the bleaching agent in Flour and things that are made with bleached flour).

As to "Chlorine" Molecules....

NaCl:

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
It tastes like shit, messes up my palate for hours.

I haven't had any problems because I don't use the nasty stuff.

Eventually they're going to find out it causes some kind of health problem just like all the others do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Splenda messed me up but not physically... It made me slightly paranoid. No joke.

I felt like the walls were closing in and I was panicky. I know you don't know me from Adam but that is anything but me. The only thing I could think of (once I got to thinking about it) was that it was the Splenda. I stopped, and the wierdness subsided.

The only good side effect of the Splenda for me was that I really kicked my survival preparations in high gear.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I like it.  I even use it to bake cookies, no one has asked/or complained yet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been stuck using it since I turned up Diabetic
3 years ago . I haven't noticed any problems and it's
not as bad ( health Wise ) as the other sugar substitutes
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't use it. I get serious intestinal pain, and gas you wouldn't believe. I farted for 3 days straight after having some diet icecream w/raspberry topping. My ass actually hurt from it. SOB!

I stick to using Stevia powder at home, or if I'm out, good old saccarine. Nutrasweet/Aspartame makes me feel very strange, so I avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if that might be my problem as well.  I've had serious abdominal pain for close to a year without explanation.  One day it being bad enough to visit the ER.  If it's splenda I'm going to be #($&ing pissed.  Time to buy some of the blue stuff and eliminate the Splenda.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wonder if that might be my problem as well.  I've had serious abdominal pain for close to a year without explanation.  One day it being bad enough to visit the ER.  If it's splenda I'm going to be #($&ing pissed.  Time to buy some of the blue stuff and eliminate the Splenda.

Why would you be pissed… it is not the folks who make Splenda fault your system cannot handle Splenda.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting reading about Splenda.....

www.shacamerica.net/splenda/splenda.htm

You might think twice about this product after reading...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
al l that diet crap tastes the same.. like ass... 1 sip, and i can taste it for a week...

+1  

I've tried a few of the artificial sweeteners and I can't stand the chemical taste.  Others have told me to keep with the stuff and you get used to it, but I don't think I want to get used to those chemicals going into my body.

At least real sugar is natural.  It may not be good for you but it's a hell of lot better than the artificial crap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Interesting reading about Splenda.....

www.shacamerica.net/splenda/splenda.htm

You might think twice about this product after reading...

I think if you take that at face value you don't think.

Badly written propaganda is just badly written propaganda.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I use Splenda with no ill effects. I like it. I'm a little scared of aspartame but every day it's something else that's gonna kill ya.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you be pissed… it is not the folks who make Splenda fault your system cannot handle Splenda.

I would be pissed because I've spent over $2500 (colonoscopy, ultrasound, x rays, endoscopy, etc) trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with me and no one figured it out (Doctors knew I was using it as well). I've missed about a week of work during the year for testing and because of stomach aches.  And I didn't think of it.  That's reason enough to be pissed in my book.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be pissed because I've spent over $2500 (colonoscopy, ultrasound, x rays, endoscopy, etc) trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with me and no one figured it out (Doctors knew I was using it as well). I've missed about a week of work during the year for testing and because of stomach aches.  And I didn't think of it.  That's reason enough to be pissed in my book.

It is like getting pissed at dirt because you are allergic to strawberries.

Be pissed at your body it is not their fault your body cannot handle the product.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe you misread, Maybe I didn't specify enough.  I didn't say I'd be pissed at Splenda, I said if it was Splenda I'd be pissed.  Try having a constant stomach ache for a year, systematically cutting out almost everything from your diet, but missing something as simple as an artificial sweetener.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Maybe you misread, Maybe I didn't specify enough.  I didn't say I'd be pissed at Splenda, I said if it was Splenda I'd be pissed.  Try having a constant stomach ache for a year, systematically cutting out almost everything from your diet, but missing something as simple as an artificial sweetener.

OK got it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Splenda=Shitty taste
Everything has got that shit in it now.  Ice cream, gum, sodas, etc.  They are going to find it's bad for you and start taking it out of items I bet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Splenda gave me pretty severe anxiety attacks.

Nutrasweet only gives me headaches when I eat alot of it, so I'll stick with aspartame.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#29]
My wife gets migraine headaches if she ever has Nutrasweet.  We use Splenda in most everything except baking.  It tastes better than other artificial sweeteners.  I just hope it doesn't turn out to be bad for you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I was pissed because I could not put 2 and 2 together sooner.  My gut hurt and I almost gave up one of the few indulgences I have in my life (coffee).  A sweetener is not the first thing to come to mind when you start feeling pain like that.

THat website I had been to before, and it did not have any cred with me either.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]

I was pissed because I could not put 2 and 2 together sooner. My gut hurt and I almost gave up one of the few indulgences I have in my life (coffee). A sweetener is not the first thing to come to mind when you start feeling pain like that.

Exactly.  I indulge on a little beer now and again and coffee.  I cut out the beer (and all alcohol) for a month while I was trying to figure it out.  I also cut down on coffee, just couldn't do that one completely.  I had also cut out all lactose, tons of fats, salt, etc.  I was on unflavored grilled chicken, brown rice, water and half a cup of coffee/day for much longer than any man should.

My last taste of Splenda was while reading the first post on this thread this morning. I hope that is my problem.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I was pissed because I could not put 2 and 2 together sooner. My gut hurt and I almost gave up one of the few indulgences I have in my life (coffee). A sweetener is not the first thing to come to mind when you start feeling pain like that.

Exactly.  I indulge on a little beer now and again and coffee.  I cut out the beer (and all alcohol) for a month while I was trying to figure it out.  I also cut down on coffee, just couldn't do that one completely.  I had also cut out all lactose, tons of fats, salt, etc.  I was on unflavored grilled chicken, brown rice, water and half a cup of coffee/day for much longer than any man should.

My last taste of Splenda was while reading the first post on this thread this morning. I hope that is my problem.  We'll see.

My results were immediate.  They day I did not put splenda in my coffee, was the day I did not feel pain after drinking coffee.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've been stuck using it since I turned up Diabetic
3 years ago . I haven't noticed any problems and it's
not as bad ( health Wise ) as the other sugar substitutes

+87

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#34]

My results were immediate. They day I did not put splenda in my coffee, was the day I did not feel pain after drinking coffee.

I hope mine's that immediate, but my abdominal pain didn't start up until at least a month after substituting sugar w/ Splenda (and other diet changes, hence why I wasn't suspecting the Splenda), so I'm not expecting anything that quick.

BTW Just ran across THIS, haven't read any yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Results Jon?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top