Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:23:23 AM EDT
Hi all,
my 13 year old son had to pick a book at his school's library last week and he came across this one:

My son loves firearms, shooting, and hunting as much as I do, and is very aware of the constant
barrage of anti-gun messages that schools and the media are trying desperately to pound into
our children's skulls. He saw the book on the school library shelf, and knew it would be full of
lies, but decided to check it out anyway so he could pick it apart with my help.

Well, he was not disapointed, Here is one paragraph from the book. Ironically this paragraph
is on page 87. No, I am not making that up.

Do you know what a semiautomatic is? It looks like a machinegun. Only it is smaller and
easier to hide. It sprays out lots of bullets very quickly. I'm told it has absolutley no use as a
hunting weapon and hardly any accuracy, either. So it serves no purpose in target shooting.
Then what is it for? Why is it made? What do the companies that make these guns think people
are going to do with them?        

After he read that paragraph to me, and many others like it, my son and I had an idea that I just knew my ARFCOM brethren would enjoy helping us with.  There are two blank pages between the title page and the table of contents. I am thinking that the ARFCOM nation could help us write a preface
to the book, and I will insert it before he has to return it to the school library tomorrow.
I would like it to say something to the effect of:

The book you are about to read is one of complete fiction.  The author and contributors of this book have very little, if any real  experience in the handling or safe use of firearms.  The content of this book are full of cliche's, mistruths, and outright lies about the firearms industry, the products that they make, and the people who safely and responsibly enjoy firearms and the shooting sports.
If you are truly interested in the truth about firearms, you should find a local shooting range and
seek training with a certified instructor and see for yourself.

You guys see where I am going with this. The above paragraph is just an idea on a few thoughts I would like to get across. I would also like to give some website links where they can get even
more good information.

Help me write this guys. Please post what you would put in the book. 200 words or less should do nicely.  

This is gonna be fun.  

Thanks Herman and "Lil Herman"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
if i did that back in my middle school days, i would have had to pay to buy them a new book, then i would have been sent to the principal's office for damaging school property.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You will be charged with destruction of school property, fined the cost of the book and the book will be discarded as "vandalized."

You would be far better off lodging an actual complaint to have the book removed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You will be charged with destruction of school property, fined the cost of the book and the book will be discarded as "vandalized."

You would be far better off lodging an actual complaint to have the book removed.

The school librarian will never know it is in there.  When 30-something kids turn in the books all at once,
if the book shows no outward appearance of vandalism, it will simply be returned to the shelf.
The only persons that will ever see the insert will be my intended audience; the kids that check out the book.

No one of consequence will ever know. And even if they did find it, my son will have "no knowledge" of the insert or how it got there.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
All he has to say is that the stuff was already written in the book when he checked it out.

I would ad little footnotes debunking the lies. Something that can be verified on the net. Like the winning rifles at Camp Perry etc. Semi Auto.  Many very expensive .22 cal target pistols, semi auto.

rj
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]

No one of consequence will ever know.

You will know.

The book is not yours to do with as you please.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
do it. Its for the children

also add that it is more likely a child will drown in a pool in the backyard than to have a gun in the house.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I think trying to get the book removed, or at least moved to the fiction section of the library with a short preface added to warn the reader, would be a better option.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]
What you wrote sounds pretty good to me. I like the idea of a few notes in the margins, as well.

Does the library have any pro-shooting books to keep things balanced? Maybe you could contribute a couple.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#10]
You'd be better off directing your desire for change to the author of the book.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You will know.

Who cares? People write notes in library books all the time. He might actually inform someone, rather than spreading blatant lies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#12]
our school library used to have Guns & Ammo, Shooting, and Handguns, etc...  on the magazine rack.  we also had the Complete book of Military arms and such on the shelf.  of course this was in the 80s, and in Montana.  Maybe check with the school board about ordering some subscriptions to a few magazines for the kids library.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You'd be better off directing your desire for change to the author of the book.

The author is a lost cause.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]

My son says it was in the fiction section.  So I looked and on the spine it has F for fiction
and "Tragedy"  for which part of the fiction section it gets shelved.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I say do it.  At least you'll be giving the kids something to think about.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was in school, back in the late 80's(primary school).  The library had several books from back in the 50's about military weapons/ordnance.  I remember checking one out once. High school was a different story though. I got into a gun discussion in class. Well, the misandrogenistic lesbian uber liberal english teacher reported me to the counselor. They ended up pulling me out of class for 1-2 hours every several days to lecture me on how guns were bad and how I should never come to school and kill people. Seriously! Well, ever since then I've been hooked on guns...

Edit: grammar
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe we could all get together and gather up all the books we disagree with and have a nice big bonfire.  If we all dressed up in matching brown shirts we could recognize each other......

Seriously, does the library have pro-gun books as well?  If not, donate some.  Since they like political fiction, maybe Unintended Consequences would be a good selection.  If the school complains that it is too radical for a school stack then you would have a good argument for them to pull Give A Boy A Gun as well.

I cant support vandalising the BS book though.  Suppressing the freedom of speech of people you disagree with is wrong.  It's what "they" do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I was in school, back in the late 80's(primary school).  The library had several books from back in the 50's about military weapons/ordnance.  I remember checking one out once. High school was a different story though. I got into a gun discussion in class. Well, the misandrogenistic lesbian uber liberal english teacher reported me to the counselor. They ended up pulling me out of class for 1-2 hours every several days to lecture me on how guns were bad and how I should never come to school and kill people. Seriously! Well, ever since then I've been hooked on guns...

Edit: grammar

Now son, I thought we talked about this, guns are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. They kill people, and thats all they do. Guns are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, m'kay? I think that if you shot people, then that would be very bad, m'kay?

ETA- Seriously, you might say that it would give kids "ideas". Use their own do it for the kids logic to get it pulled.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Hypothetically speaking (of course), IF I were to do anything to the book, it would include typing up a disclaimer that everything included in the book is not true.  That to find the truth on firearms, the person should look to www.ar15.com and other websites.  That firearms are not evil, its only when in the hands of evil people that they can harm someone.  That knives are just as dangerous and that if you wouldn't play with a knife, you should never play with a gun.  If you are interested in shooting or learning more about firearms, ask a "cool" family member or join the boy scouts. Firearm users are disciplined and need to understand the commandments of firearms (always loaded, etc) and that for kids, that includes never touching a gun when no adults are around.

Finally, put that the author of the book just hates guns.  People that hate inanimate objects are stupid and have no place creating books to mislead kids.  Oh yeah, footnote the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#20]
In the before the uber-straight laced and anal people lecture you that you are committing vadalism, blah blah.  

I think it would be hilarious to do.  Hell, imagine the kind of stuff the leftys do to pro-gun books.....

Monkeywrenching is great fun, but be careful about the message your kid gets from it, that's all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will know.

Who cares? People write notes in library books all the time. He might actually inform someone, rather than spreading blatant lies.

Thanks ctprelude, that is what I thought too.

I can't believe some of you guys are telling me not to do it.  What I wanted to write in the book will be
typewritten, and placed in the book so as not to look any different than the rest of the pages. It's not like I am going to highlight certain sentences with a highlighter  and write underneath the sentence "Bullshit" with a felt tip marker.  I just wanted to give any future reader the knowledge that this book is one person's VERY biased opinion, and that if they really want to know about firearms, they should research other sources as well.

I would hardly consider what I want to do vandalism. Maybe civil disobedience, but definately not
vandalism.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a definate for why we need guns:

This will convert them for sure.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The school librarian will never know it is in there.  When 30-something kids turn in the books all at once,
if the book shows no outward appearance of vandalism, it will simply be returned to the shelf.
The only persons that will ever see the insert will be my intended audience; the kids that check out the book.

No one of consequence will ever know. And even if they did find it, my son will have "no knowledge" of the insert or how it got there.

I did similar things when I was in HS.  My senior prank, for instance, involved the singlehanded destruction of 10 math textbooks (I hate math because I've never been able to understand it and my math teachers were dickheads).  And no, I was never caught.  You are taking a chance here, but the odds are in your favor because most schools are staffed by dipshits in this modern day and age.  If I had had real teachers at my school like they did 30 years ago, I wouldn't have done the things I did, not only because I wouldn't have gotten away with it but because I would have had more respect for the teachers and therefore wouldn't have wanted to anyways.  Simply because teachers back then weren't generally the kind of corrupt, arrogant liberal assholes like what we have today.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I did similar things when I was in HS.  My senior prank, for instance, involved the singlehanded destruction of 10 math textbooks (I hate math because I've never been able to understand it and my math teachers were dickheads).  And no, I was never caught.  You are taking a chance here, but the odds are in your favor because most schools are staffed by dipshits in this modern day and age.  If I had had real teachers at my school like they did 30 years ago, I wouldn't have done the things I did, not only because I wouldn't have gotten away with it but because I would have had more respect for the teachers and therefore wouldn't have wanted to anyways.  Simply because teachers back then weren't generally the kind of corrupt, arrogant liberal assholes like what we have today.  

You are blaming your criminal behavior on others? How typical.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are blaming your criminal behavior on others? How typical.

Not really. I knew what I was doing, it's my own fault of course.  I've matured a bit since then, keep in mind that these were high school antics.  That stuff has no bearing on my life now that I'm an adult.  I was simply stating what was going through my head at the time when I did that and what my motivations were.  Feel free to criticize all you want, you're entitled to your opinions and I'm not trying to justify my past behavior or get into a right/wrong argument because there's no point, what's done is done.  What kind of stupid antics have the other guys on this board pulled back when they were in high school ?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not really. I knew what I was doing, it's my own fault of course.  I've matured a bit since then, keep in mind that these were high school antics.  That stuff has no bearing on my life now that I'm an adult.  I was simply stating what was going through my head at the time when I did that and what my motivations were.  Feel free to criticize all you want, you're entitled to your opinions and I'm not trying to justify my past behavior or get into a right/wrong argument because there's no point, what's done is done.  What kind of stupid antics have the other guys on this board pulled back when they were in high school ?  

I guess that would be "none" because no one ever replied.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#27]
You can add an insert in the book (loose page), but don't write in the book or deface the book.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You can add an insert in the book (loose page), but don't write in the book or deface the book.

+1, I'd prefer this to outright vandalism.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top