User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YET ANOTHER SCAM FOLLOWS IN THE WAKE OF THE ORGINAL...

So I put one of my older bikes for sale up on craigslist.com since I don't have room for so many bikes in my home (and b/c my gf insists that I get rid of at least one of them)

Why is your GF making demands on what happens inside your house?

I choose my battles wisely.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You should really call up Specialized and make sure they list that company as an authorized dealer.  If they don't, the bike will not be covered under the mfr warranty regardless of that the bike shop says.

I called them up 2 days ago.  They told me they are unaware of that dealer and that I should only buy my bike from an authorized dealer which I did.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't want to be part of a "piling on" excersize, but dude - you kind of scammed your local bike shop. You had a pretty good feeling that this website was a scam (enough to avoid a purchase), but you presented it to your local shop as if it were a legitimate price.

I understand that the local shop could have said "no", and that they were not forced into making you that deal. The same could be said for the victims of other scams, however. The fact that the victims could have declined does not absolve the scammer from responsibility. A more appropriate course of action might have been to inform the local bike shop that you suspected the price of this bike might be fraudulent. This way, the shop owner can make a more informed decision.

I will take you at your word that you didn't know for a fact the price was a scam. Now that you know, I think the stand-up thing to do, is to return to the bike shop. Explain to the owner that the price you showed him was later discovered to be fradulent, and offer to pay him a fair price for the bicycle. The owner will have a tremendous amount of respect for you.

Look, your local shop went above and beyond the call of duty to make you a happy customer. A shop like that is hard to find and deserves to be dealt with squarely. Man up, explain the situation, and make it right.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't want to be part of a "piling on" excersize, but dude - you kind of scammed your local bike shop. You had a pretty good feeling that this website was a scam (enough to avoid a purchase), but you presented it to your local shop as if it were a legitimate price.

I understand that the local shop could have said "no", and that they were not forced into making you that deal. The same could be said for the victims of other scams, however. The fact that the victims could have declined does not absolve the scammer from responsibility. A more appropriate course of action might have been to inform the local bike shop that you suspected the price of this bike might be fraudulent. This way, the shop owner can make a more informed decision.

I will take you at your word that you didn't know for a fact the price was a scam. Now that you know, I think the stand-up thing to do, is to return to the bike shop. Explain to the owner that the price you showed him was later discovered to be fradulent, and offer to pay him a fair price for the bicycle. The owner will have a tremendous amount of respect for you.

Look, your local shop went above and beyond the call of duty to make you a happy customer. A shop like that is hard to find and deserves to be dealt with squarely. Man up, explain the situation, and make it right.

You said that much better than I did. +1
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
sounded liek a drop shipper type thing at first.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Ethical or not, I'm not losing sleep over it.  I didn't steel anything and I didn't know 100% for sure (even though I strongly suspected) that it was a scam.  They made a profit.  Yes, it seemed obvious but nothing had been proven at the time.  No crime was ever committed.  The store made a profit, allbeit a small one.  I've spent a few hundred bucks extra in the store on other goods that I'm sure they made plenty of profit on.  All they did was sell me a bike at their cost in order to gain me as a future/continuing customer.  They didn't have to sell me the bike at cost if they thought it would be a 'loss' for them.  Their store/customer policies are not laws.  They can change or refuse them any time they want.   It's not like there aren't tons of dealers or people on this forum who haven't sold something at their cost or even at a loss before.  The bike was marked up nearly $1000.  I shopped around until I found a better buy and instead of going with what I thought was a 'shady' deal, I went and gave my LBS a chance at my business.  They did a good job on their end, and will be rewarded by my continued business as a result.  Some of you guys are acting like you wouldn't do the same thing for an AR15 at half price.  Provided that you were not knowingly breaking any laws, I'm sure most of you would, but you can continue to pretend that you are of higher morality than the rest of the world...  "I ain't buying it" either.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well... I managed to turn 'possible' scam against me into money in my pocket.

I went to the local bike shop and asked if they would match advertised pricing, to which they responded 'yes'.  Mind you that the bike model that I wanted from the website mentioned in this post was an '05 model and my local bike shop happened to have 2 different model '05 left (The rest of their bikes are 2006 models).  The ones that they had in stock were a model that was only inferior b/c of a few components, but still carried an MSRP of $2000, of which I probably would have been able to get it for $1500 since it was last years model... it has the same exact frame though as the '06.  Anyway, he pulled up the price on that website and was surprised to see the (possible scammer's) price at $1000.  The guy looked in disbelief and then went to check on the cost of the bike which turned out to be $1040 which he was nice enough to show me.  He said he couldn't do the $1000 price, but he could do $1100 which would cover the shop's cost + shipping & assembly.  I gratefully agreed, and even upgraded a few of the components, still getting the bike at around 40% off MSRP with the shop still making money and a happy new customer.  Yeah, I know they actually probably lost money on my sale, but they gained a new customer which can go a long way for them.  

When your local bike shop closes it's doors, you can pat yourself on the back as you walk to Walmart to buy your next bike.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ethical or not, I'm not losing sleep over it.  I didn't steel anything and I didn't know 100% for sure (even though I strongly suspected) that it was a scam.  They made a profit.  Yes, it seemed obvious but nothing had been proven at the time.  No crime was ever committed.  The store made a profit, allbeit a small one.  I've spent a few hundred bucks extra in the store on other goods that I'm sure they made plenty of profit on.  All they did was sell me a bike at their cost in order to gain me as a future/continuing customer.  They didn't have to sell me the bike at cost if they thought it would be a 'loss' for them.  Their store/customer policies are not laws.  They can change or refuse them any time they want.   It's not like there aren't tons of dealers or people on this forum who haven't sold something at their cost or even at a loss before.  The bike was marked up nearly $1000.  I shopped around until I found a better buy and instead of going with what I thought was a 'shady' deal, I went and gave my LBS a chance at my business.  They did a good job on their end, and will be rewarded by my continued business as a result.  Some of you guys are acting like you wouldn't do the same thing for an AR15 at half price.  Provided that you were not knowingly breaking any laws, I'm sure most of you would, but you can continue to pretend that you are of higher morality than the rest of the world...  "I ain't buying it" either.

Dude, cut the crap and stay focused. You have new information that proves the price you showed them was fradulent, even though you didn't know at the time. You can make this right by returning to the shop, explaining to the owner that he made a decision based in faulty information, and make it right.

Do you agree or not?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I went to the local bike shop and asked if they would match advertised pricing, to which they responded 'yes'.  Mind you that the bike model that I wanted from the website mentioned in this post was an '05 model and my local bike shop happened to have 2 different model '05 left (The rest of their bikes are 2006 models).  The ones that they had in stock were a model that was only inferior b/c of a few components, but still carried an MSRP of $2000, of which I probably would have been able to get it for $1500 since it was last years model... it has the same exact frame though as the '06.  Anyway, he pulled up the price on that website and was surprised to see the (possible scammer's) price at $1000.  The guy looked in disbelief and then went to check on the cost of the bike which turned out to be $1040 which he was nice enough to show me.  He said he couldn't do the $1000 price, but he could do $1100 which would cover the shop's cost + shipping & assembly.  I gratefully agreed, and even upgraded a few of the components, still getting the bike at around 40% off MSRP with the shop still making money and a happy new customer.  Yeah, I know they actually probably lost money on my sale, but they gained a new customer which can go a long way for them.  

OMG Dude-You're un-fucking-real....

Anyone know where this turd lives so they can hit up the bike shops and drop the dime on his ass?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Anyone who ever does business with this guy in the EE should read this thread first.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Anyone know where this turd lives so they can hit up the bike shops and drop the dime on his ass?

From other posts of his...South Florida; Broward/Dade County area.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, cut the crap and stay focused. You have new information that proves the price you showed them was fradulent, even though you didn't know at the time. You can make this right by returning to the shop, explaining to the owner that he made a decision based in faulty information, and make it right.

Do you agree or not?

Ok Before this gets out of hand,  Subnet ask yourself this question.  Does the outcome of this thread make a difference in my life?

You can continue to get on this guys case or just ignore him.

What he did was wrong but not criminal.

Who ever said that he commited fraud is full of shit.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you going to accomplish by doing this?

He did not commit a crime.

Everyone just needs to settle down.

I am not defending him, but he did not commit a crime that I am aware of.

It is not fraud, he used the LBS policy to his benefit,is that a crime?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Some of you guys are acting like you wouldn't do the same thing for an AR15 at half price.

Why do so many people always assume that everyone else would do something just because THEY are willing to do it?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#16]
niceguymr,

Is that you Charlie Wenzel?
roy d.....seems familiar enuff
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ok Before this gets out of hand,  Subnet ask yourself this question.  Does the outcome of this thread make a difference in my life?

From Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: fraud
Pronunciation: 'frod
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English fraude, from Middle French, from Latin fraud-, fraus
1 a : DECEIT, TRICKERY; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: fraud
Pronunciation: 'frod
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English fraude, from Middle French, from Latin fraud-, fraus
1 a : DECEIT, TRICKERY; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right

Try toi get charges filed based on that,

How are you going to prove that he knowingly tricked the LBS.
That can never be proven, how do you know what he was thinking?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Try toi get charges filed based on that,

How are you going to prove that he knowingly tricked the LBS.
That can never be proven, how do you know what he was thinking?

The earlier posts made by him in this thread would make excellent evidence against him.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of you guys are acting like you wouldn't do the same thing for an AR15 at half price.

Why do so many people always assume that everyone else would do something just because THEY are willing to do it?

So Eloquent.

Bravo.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Illegal? Probably not.

Ethical? Definitely not.

It's just a thin line to step over....your choice though.

roy d....I won't judge you, that's the job of somebody who's a lot better than I
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Profit is not something you put in your pocket minus the cost of the bike. Profit is what's left after paying rent, power, insurance, licensing, wages to everybody who works their who provides service and info to you plus taxes and so many other things that make your head swim. He probably lost money on you trying to keep his word and that meant something to him.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You have new information that proves the price you showed them was fradulent, even though you didn't know at the time. You can make this right by returning to the shop, explaining to the owner that he made a decision based in faulty information, and make it right.

Do you agree or not?

I agree with you.  Mind you, I didn't receive the phone call from the PI until about 3 or 4 days AFTER I bought the bike, and even then, I was only INFORMED that they're being investigated.  If you doubt me on my 'timeline', just go back through this thread and see when I mentioned the PI calling me.  Sure I thought the deal was shady, which is why I chose not to do business with them.  

That being said... I'm going to take my bike out for a ride to the bikestore.  While I'm there, I'm going to mention to the owner the phone call I receieved from the private investigator the other day.  Then, I'm going to spend about $80 on a new Camelbak, fill it up and continue my ride.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#24]
2005 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI

812.014  Theft.--

(1)  A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:

(a)  Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.

(b)  Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.

812.012  Definitions.--As used in ss. 812.012-812.037:

(1)  "Cargo" means partial or entire shipments, containers, or cartons of property which are contained in or on a trailer, motortruck, aircraft, vessel, warehouse, freight station, freight consolidation facility, or air navigation facility.

(2)  "Dealer in property" means any person in the business of buying and selling property.

(3)  "Obtains or uses" means any manner of:

(a)  Taking or exercising control over property.

(b)  Making any unauthorized use, disposition, or transfer of property.

(c)  Obtaining property by fraud, willful misrepresentation of a future act, or false promise.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have new information that proves the price you showed them was fradulent, even though you didn't know at the time. You can make this right by returning to the shop, explaining to the owner that he made a decision based in faulty information, and make it right.

Do you agree or not?

I agree with you.  Mind you, I didn't receive the phone call from the PI until about 3 or 4 days AFTER I bought the bike, and even then, I was only INFORMED that they're being investigated.  If you doubt me on my 'timeline', just go back through this thread and see when I mentioned the PI calling me.  Sure I thought the deal was shady, which is why I chose not to do business with them.  

That being said... I'm going to take my bike out for a ride to the bikestore.  While I'm there, I'm going to mention to the owner the phone call I receieved from the private investigator the other day.  Then, I'm going to spend about $80 on a new Camelbak, fill it up and continue my ride.  

Good deal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#26]
As far as the purchase price of the bike from the local shop.  I'm not taking sides on the ehtical issue , but here is my experience.

I worked at a couple bicycle shops over a number of years.  And here are a couple valid points:

-  MOST bicycle shops mark up the price  100% over their cost.  (ie. a set of rims cost them $100, they charge Joe Public $200 plus tax).

-  In this case, Niceguymr suggested a price, and the bike shop set the price at which they were going to sell the bike.  If they were loosing money, trust me they wouldn't have sold the bike.   The bike shop set the price, why should he feel bad?

-  Most bike shops will sell parts, accessories, and sometimes complete bikes, at drastically reduced prices to return customers.  People that buy $2,000 bikes are serious and will come back for accessories.  People that buy a $300 bike are looking for something cheap, or don't know what they're looking for, so they're probably not as serious about the sport, and wont be back.  We used to literaly give small parts away to the kids that raced, so they'd come back and buy the big stuff.

Again, I'm not taking sides on the ethical debate, but I know the bike shop didn't loose money.  And if anything they gained a customer that will be back to spend more.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Most retail anything marks up their price 100% over their cost. It's called the keystone markup.

People want to go in and beat retail establishments down to 10% over their cost. How can people expect them to pay their employees, insurance premiums, rent, advertising, inventory, etc... out of those kinds of margins?

You can't and the places that make it a regular practice to cut deals like that eventually find themselves out of business.

The fact of the matter is that in a specialty market, 50% of the product is the actual item itself. The other 50% is the expertise of the staff, customer service before during and after the sale, etc...

So... you get what you pay for, and eventually, you will not have any local resources.

Sure, you say go to the internet and find it cheap online and read all the forums to get info.

Okay, fine. But then there's this thing called shipping, and God forbid if you ever have to do it... returns.

I think what was done here was shady to say the least. Yes, the retail shop could have sent him packing, but he certainly misrepresented the price.

Sorry. It's wrong no matter how you try to rationalize it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyway guys....

I went into the bikestore to buy my Camelbak.  The guy who sold me the bike wasn't there, but I mentioned the 'possibility of that website being a scam' to the manager.  He said that was very cool of me to let them know as he began to pick up the phone to make a call.  I thought he was going to call the owner of the store, but instead he was actually calling Specialized headquarters to let them know.  I explained to him that I already called Specialized and told them about it but he continued to hold until he got someone from loss prevention on the line.  As he began to tell the loss prevention guy the situation, the guy told him that Specialized already knew about it from a phone call they received earlier in the week (eh-hem) and their attorneys had already contacted the hosting company to demand the site be shut down.  Then the manager hangs up and thanks me for filling them in.  I told him that I felt awkward knowing that he sold me the bike under false pretenses and that I was suspicious of that website from the beginning when they sold me the bike, but I never was certain until I received the phone call from the PI a few days after I bought the bike.  He says it's cool, no worries and rings me up for my Camelbak and multi-tool... MINUS a 20% discount since I bought my bike from them.  I said to the guy "Are you sure about this?  Even after the great deal you gave me on the bike?"  and he says "Don't sweat it.  It's not like we lost money on you. We knew you'd be back.  We have very loyal customers"  (I know I'm not quoting verbatim, but pretty close)  Anyway... the guy was cool about the whole thing, and did not get nearly as bent out of shape about it as some of you did here... even though I told him that I bought it under false pretenses.  His attitude was more congratulatory to me for being so lucky than disappointment.  On my way out, we looked over some bikes for my GF and he told me to bring her in so we can fit her up for one.  I got the feeling from the guy that he's going to give me a good deal on her bike too... After all is said and done, I don't think that fessing up made any difference to the shop or how they would treat me.  It didn't give me a clearer concience b/c when I bought the bike, I thought I was just being a savy shopper, and it wasn't until days later that I was informed that the website was being investigated for fraud.  Oh well.  I'm still happy I saved $800+ and if the same exact situation happened upon me agian in the future, I would do it all over again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Anyway guys....

I went into the bikestore to buy my Camelbak.  The guy who sold me the bike wasn't there, but I mentioned the 'possibility of that website being a scam' to the manager.  He said that was very cool of me to let them know as he began to pick up the phone to make a call.  I thought he was going to call the owner of the store, but instead he was actually calling Specialized headquarters to let them know.  I explained to him that I already called Specialized and told them about it but he continued to hold until he got someone from loss prevention on the line.  As he began to tell the loss prevention guy the situation, the guy told him that Specialized already knew about it from a phone call they received earlier in the week (eh-hem) and their attorneys had already contacted the hosting company to demand the site be shut down.  Then the manager hangs up and thanks me for filling them in.  I told him that I felt awkward knowing that he sold me the bike under false pretenses and that I was suspicious of that website from the beginning when they sold me the bike, but I never was certain until I received the phone call from the PI a few days after I bought the bike.  He says it's cool, no worries and rings me up for my Camelbak and multi-tool... MINUS a 20% discount since I bought my bike from them.  I said to the guy "Are you sure about this?  Even after the great deal you gave me on the bike?"  and he says "Don't sweat it.  It's not like we lost money on you. We knew you'd be back.  We have very loyal customers"  (I know I'm not quoting verbatim, but pretty close)  Anyway... the guy was cool about the whole thing, and did not get nearly as bent out of shape about it as some of you did here... even though I told him that I bought it under false pretenses.  His attitude was more congratulatory to me for being so lucky than disappointment.  On my way out, we looked over some bikes for my GF and he told me to bring her in so we can fit her up for one.  I got the feeling from the guy that he's going to give me a good deal on her bike too... After all is said and done, I don't think that fessing up made any difference to the shop or how they would treat me.  It didn't give me a clearer concience b/c when I bought the bike, I thought I was just being a savy shopper, and it wasn't until days later that I was informed that the website was being investigated for fraud.  Oh well.  I'm still happy I saved $800+ and if the same exact situation happened upon me agian in the future, I would do it all over again.

Sorry if it seemed like I was busting your balls.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No sweat, and thanks for the beer!  And my balls are fine thanks!  It's just sad that some people didn't have anything to say unless it's negative criticism as you can notice how quiet this thread got after I 'appeased' the natives.  "Gee, what do we say now?  Uh, I dunno Jimbo. Maybe we should just shut up.  Sounds good to me Ned!"

Good night everyone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No sweat, and thanks for the beer!  And my balls are fine thanks!  It's just sad that some people didn't have anything to say unless it's negative criticism as you can notice how quiet this thread got after I 'appeased' the natives.  "Gee, what do we say now?  Uh, I dunno Jimbo. Maybe we should just shut up.  Sounds good to me Ned!"

Good night everyone.

Good job, Thats out standing!!! Way to go out of your way to correct a bad situation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Both web sites from the first post are DOA for me now.

uh huh!

Gee, I wonder why?

They were working fine earlier this afternoon
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good night everyone.

What should we say?  "Good job finally doing the right thing after having to be badgered into it?"  The last line of your previous post says it all.

I'm still happy I saved $800+ and if the same exact situation happened upon me agian in the future, I would do it all over again.

If it makes you feel better, here's a resounding one-handed clap from me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyway guys....

+1

Sounds like you did real good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't feel like starting a whole new thread titled "BE CAREFUL WITH CRAIG'S LIST", but here's another email I got for my 'old' bike...

craigslist Advisory: Fraud and Scam Warning!
Please read our scam advisory page before replying to this message:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

This warning is automatically attached to
ALL craigslist forwarded emails

Hello,
        I am (Mark jones).I am interested in
purchasing your advert on the
net.I checked and confirmed it's gonna serve me a
great deal.I will like to view the jpg pic's.I will
want you to send me a detailed information of your
terms of payment Or If a Bank Certified Cheque will
go through for the Payment of The item as stated
above which will be verify within 2 working days or
same day you deposited it.You can forward your
mailing details as given below: Your Full Name for
the cheque to be issued,Your Full Residential
Address where the cheque will be sent to and Your
Contact Phone Number.The cheque will be issued and
sent to you as soon as possible with the Information
you will provide.Don't worry about the Shipment,I
have my own personal Shipping Agent who will handle
the shipment.The last price you are willing to sell
the item.Awaiting your response.Pls Get back to me
Via email asap as i want to complete these
transaction within a short period of time.Thanks

Regards

Mark Jones

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top