Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
All depends on how much you make.  For someone making $200k that's a good raise.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
All depends on how much you make.  For someone making $200k that's a good raise.

You don't make $200k, do you?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's not a raise, it's a pay cut.  Inflation goes faster.

We have a winner....

If you are not at least being matched for inflation, you are making less and less each year in terms of buying power.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Is the company making money?  Are there better jobs available in your area?  If it is simply a directive from some bean counter that dictates the amount of a persons raise and not the persons performance, go to work for a small company that promotes and raises pay because the person EARNS it.  If you bust ass and they know it, find a better gig. If you expect a raise simply for showing up....be happy you weren't fired.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you're posting on ARFCOM from work you should be..

I consider it a portion of my compensation...

I consider it grounds for termination. Faffing around on the internet while you're supposed to be working for me.

We wonder why the gooks are running us into the ground on autos, computers, TV's, stereo equipment, toys, clothes, appliances and every other thing sold at Wal*Mart.

Sheesh

Hardest thing about owning my own business if finding a person who wants to work. If I could clone myself I'd be a gazillionaire.

Well, considering that my job is to process in freight and find parts for technicians when something breaks, once I have the inbound freight processed in, I'm just waiting for something to take a crap. If I'm idle, it means the plant is running. When I'm busting ass, it means that something is broken and a production line is down at a cost of something on the order of 10 grand a minute.

I am EXPECTED to be front and center when the techs come in. The faster I get them the parts they need, the faster the line comes up. The faster the line comes up, the faster the 35 operators that are idle get back to work. It costs the company more to have me busting ass than for me to sit still.

And at my new job, there will be no portion of it that requires watching a clock. I actually look forward to doing some work.

GT
Former MRO Clerk.
15 Production lines.
250 Operators.
60 Technicians.
22,000 Parts in the warehouse.
Average time to fill a request--3 minutes.
Chance that the part needed is still recognizable and has a visible manufacturer's P/N? 5%
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask the workers at Ford.

She was a FORD HR person.  8 months severence for 11 years served and a slap on the ass when she left the building.

She got a good package. With my employer, it's 1 week severance for each year of service to a max of 8.  So had she worked here she should have got 1/4 of what she got.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Been here 9 years and the last few years that's all I have gotten.  One year we did not get any raise.

Thoughts?

Echap

I've been in my job 17 years and that is what everybody got last year.

welcome to the "Hard work is the reward for hard work" club
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that 1.5% every year except 1?
That would be 12% in 9 years.

We sign contracts for 2-3 years at a time.
Sometimes we get nothing the first 6 mos then 2% then 2% at the end etc...
We just got a 5% retroactive back to June of 2005.
The raise took effect and we will get the back pay (I am thinking $1,600 after taxes) on the next check.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Is your company or industry in trouble?
Did you do work worthy of a greater raise?
Would your talents be valued more elsewhere?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Same here.
Been here seven years.  The past few years all I've gotten are 2% raises.  Almost all of it goes to cover increases in health insurance.
I've never gotten anything less than outstanding performance reviews across the board.
It really sucks, but even though I'm very good at what I do it's a very esoteric job and there's no where else to go.
I'm just stuck unless I can figure out a way to do (another) career change.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#11]
we all spend too much time on ARFCOM at work.....

seriously though - 42 months since last boost in pay.  I am making less now than I did 10 years ago with the cost of living calculated in...nice - fortune 500 shop too - in the black by about 22 billion....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's not even a cost of living raise.

+1 Inflation is rising faster then that!

If it is not higher than the rate of inflation it is not a raise.

Maybe he'd be better of with nothing more than last year???

You guys crack me up.

He is making LESS in real dollars not more than last year.

He would be better off at least keeping up with inflaction instead of taking a de facto pay CUT in real dollars.

He needs to find another job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]
You're staying put too long, you need to move every few years to get more $$$$. The other advise I can give is quit, start your own business
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe he'd be better of with nothing more than last year???

You guys crack me up.

He is making LESS in real dollars not more than last year.

He would be better off at least keeping up with inflaction instead of taking a de facto pay CUT in real dollars.

If he doesn't own the company, then he doesn't set his pay scale. Saying that he makes less "real dollars" than last year is akin to saying "Man has never pumped gas on the planet Pluto." It may be a truthful statement, but it doesn't mean anything. He's an employEE and he works for a wage that his employER sets. If he doesn't think he's being paid enough, the door is always open.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why would it matter how much you make?  It's still 1.5% of their salaries each.  

$3000 extra means the same to a person that makes $200k as $750 extra does for someone making $50k.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Inflation as measured by the consumer price index has been at about 2-3% per year for a while
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I consider it grounds for termination. Faffing around on the internet while you're supposed to be working for me.

I work 60 hour weeks and get paid for 40. If my boss bitched about the internet, I would start working 40 hour weeks the next day. Don't fuck with productive employees.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I heard most women say size doesn't matter, but 1.5 raise..I don't know..
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work 60 hour weeks and get paid for 40. If my boss bitched about the internet, I would start working 40 hour weeks the next day. Don't fuck with productive employees.

Last job I had, if I worked 50 hours, I got paid for 40. If I worked 38 hours, I got paid for 38.

After a pow-wow with the boss-man, he turned-down my request to be paid for every hour that I worked (I was "salaried"), so I gave him my two-week's notice. He promptly fired me.

Oh well. Learned alot from that experience.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you're posting on ARFCOM from work you should be..

I consider it a portion of my compensation...

We wonder why the gooks are running us into the ground on autos, computers, TV's, stereo equipment, toys, clothes, appliances and every other thing sold at Wal*Mart.

Sheesh

Hardest thing about owning my own business if finding a person who wants to work. If I could clone myself I'd be a gazillionaire.

I work in tech support.  When nobody is calling, I surf the net.  When I'm busy, I don't have time to surf the net.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you need other people to tell you whether you should be happy or not?

Uhh, No, I guess maybe "happy" was not the right word.  I'm just wondering if, based on the economy, if this would been deemed:

Above Normal

Normal

Below Normal

Just plain shitty

Sorry  Welcome to Capitalism at its worst...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The general consensus of Arfcom GD is that everyone (else) is overpaid.

Huge+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Some people would just be happy to not have their job sent overseas.

I'm just waiting for the day when businesses realize they can send management overseas too.  

That will be interesting...

And Doctors, Attorneys, Accountants,Architects Etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a government slave and I got 6% (3% annual raise +3% merit raise), so I am a good gov't slave.  All this raise business occurred while I was activated for the recent unpleasentness in New Orleans after being activated for the even more unpleasant across the pond tour.

1.5% would to me be an insult after 9 years with same employer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#26]
It would help if you posted what you do, and what you gross.  We could compare it with others in the industry and let you know.  Or do it yourself.  Try to find a salary survey.  

As long as your salary is meeting your basic needs, it should have little to do with being "happy"  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some people would just be happy to not have their job sent overseas.

I'm just waiting for the day when businesses realize they can send management overseas too.  

That will be interesting...

And Doctors, Attorneys, Accountants,Architects Etc.

They already do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
As long as your salary is meeting your basic needs, it should have little to do with being "happy"  

Considering that about 1/3 my salary meets my basic needs, does that mean that I should not be annoyed that my salary is not keeping pace with inflation?

This year, a $100 bill buys me $100 worth of stuff. Next year, the same $100 bill buys me $97 worth of stuff. Therefore, anything less than a 3% raise is a pay cut. Of course, it is the company's right to pay their employee's at any rate, but the employees do not have to be happy about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#29]
DO YOU WORK FOR NATIONWIDE INS, CO.    TOO...?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#30]
It isn't great, or even good.  Just don't get that postal feeling.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#31]
We'r not union but the other locations in the region are and our payscale is based on their negotiated contract. They negotiated a 3% raise yearly but agreed to have the company take 1/2 of that to copay our medical insurance.  1.5% however you look at it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#32]
My "Review" should have been in Nov.

However a week before Turkey Day one of the Department heads fell over dead... as a result all his employee reviews got spread out to other supers...  This has backlogged everything and I doubt that any of the normal reviews have been done.

That said - I was transfered out of a higher level dept into the position I am in now. That prior dept was down sized and gets completely phased out come March 1st.

Knowning that the dept was closing one of the rats jumped ship (quit) and got another job. So I am back in that dept until it folds. I do have a job. They are having the weekend shift guy come in for 36hrs OT/wk to cover for me untill the end of the month - even so there is no one working that cell on thursdays and that is hurting production badly.

When they finally do get around to doing my review I don't expect anything. - as I was transfered from a position that had a payscale over the top of what they pay production operators. I figure I'm getting almost $4/hr more than other cell operators.

I have a job. For that I am greatful. Not getting a raise does not bother me. As it is there will be a surplus of "level 3" personell and it would not surprise me if 2 got laid off in a permanent way. Thankfully I'm only a level 2 so there sights will be aimed higher for now.

I worked for a Computer corp that ended up sending my job - and many others overseas - I was without a full time job for 25 months. (did get some part time to help)

The US job market is in trouble.

So much has been outsourced overseas.

Corps are focusing on quarterly profits when there actions are eroding there customer base - without good jobs who can afford high end products.

I won't be looking to buy a new "American" car that costs more than I paid for my house... Not for what I earn.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top