User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know about myths 1 and 2, but three seems pretty damned close to the mark...

With you may not be stamped with "property of the US govt" on your backside, if you are in the military, they pretty much do damned well own your ass...  

Forget the cousins neighbors best friend.   My brother in law recently retired from the Nat'l Guard with the past 12 month.  it was his third such retirement, and came after some 25 odd years.....  The first one was approved, then yanked.  So sorry buddy, you have no choice, we ain't letting you go.  Get yer ass back to work..

The second one was worse:  He even had his damned retirement party, was all set to go, and they yanked his ass back in.  Too bad buster.  our needs are more important than yours...

It wasn't until the thrid time around they really let him hang up the uniform.  They squeeze an extra couple years unvoluntary service out of him.  He may not have been a slave, but indentured servitude seems kinda like an appropriate lable.  

Yup.  No "US Govt Property" stamp, but they sure haul your ass around like they own it...

No I understand that aspect of it what I meant was all the rumors of getting an article 15 for getting say a sunburn and being charged with "DAMAGE to GOV Property"

You might get in trouble if you get a sunburn but it doesnt say "damage to gov property" on the paper work

It's not a rumor. Two troops in my company got company grade ART15's . I didn't read their paperwork, so I can only speculate about the " damage to gvt property ", but I am quite certain about the UCMJ being directly related to their sunburns (couldn't wear boots/uniform).

It falls under a not able to do my job clause rather then we own you clause...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1. The US Army is every bit as good as the Marine Corps

On behalf of the US Army, I take offense to that :(
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasnt totally serious
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. Park Rangers

1  Don't carry weapons
2  Can't make arrests
3  Aren't real law enforcement
4  "I thought you just did tours???????"
                "We are doing a tour!" " This is the  jail!" "This is your room for the night!"

Are you even remotely suggesting that a park ranger is in some way comparable to a member of the United States Military?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The Marines won the war in the Pacific and not the Army"

The AK can shoot M-14 ammo.

The M-16 has left hand rifling that makes the bullet tumble (presumably in the Northern hemisphere only)

If a 5.56 round enters your right shoulder it will probably exit your left hip because of it's speed and weight.hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That the Army and the Marines are the only ones that have grunts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasnt totally serious

Don't worry, I wasn't offended.  I was indicating the Army>USMC  :)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]
That marines can kick Soldiers' asses.  We play that game quite a bit in Waikiki...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Never mind that someone might get hit by a 30mm from an A-10.

<george costanza mode>

"That's gotta hurt!"

</george costanza mode>
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That you can shoot 5.56 in AK47s.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/SAR3.jpg

5.56 AK

that is am ak74 not 47

Actually the 74 can shoot 5.56mm

The good ole 47 can shoot 5.56mm, 7.62commie and 7.62nato as well....thats why the Russian soldiers were sad to see it go, they couldn't use our 7.62 stocks when they over-ran units.

That just not make any sense to me, anyone got the proof for that???

Interesting...let's see...

Measurements for 7.62x51 (only found the brass on a quick search):

7.62x39

At this time of night, my eyes are saying the 7.62x51 would stick out the back of a 7.62x39 chamber around 9-10mm or so.  Can the AK fire if not fully in battery (would you want it to?)

The 5.56x45 would be a little off center if it fit fully in the chamber.  Would the firing pin still hit the primer?  I'm guessing on the outer part of the primer...dunno...whoever wants to try it on their gun, I'll host the video file.

Oh...definitely an AK-74 in the pic..hehe
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That you can shoot 5.56 in AK47s.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/SAR3.jpg

5.56 AK

I've fired a 5.56mm through a 7.62 romanian sar1.  I accidently loaded 1 rd of 5.56 in with my mag.  It fired just fine.  Weapon continued to function.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've fired a 5.56mm through a 7.62 romanian sar1.  I accidently loaded 1 rd of 5.56 in with my mag.  It fired just fine.  Weapon continued to function.  

What kind of groups could you get?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When we shipped off to Korea there was a rumor about a certain kind of STD, Black syphillus or something, that if you got it, they would quarantine you on some island somewhere.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that there is a laxative in the chewing gum in MRE's.

Man I've heard these all.

The MRE is the laxative, the chewing gum is there to plug you back up...swallow it

In my experience, an MRE is the exact opposite of a laxative.

A big +1 on this statement.   They typically bind me up for a while and then, when I least expect it, wham, gotta go gotta go gotta go right now!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Sharpening your bayonet is a violation of the "Geneva Convention".
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#15]
EVERYONE in the Air Force is a pilot!  You didn't know that?  Hell, just ask any civilian they will set you straight.

And everyone is the Navy is on a carrier and named Maverick!

2003 ASOG Ops missions

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Really who else has Grunts?  To be a grunt you have to be an infantrymen, there is only 2 services that have the MOS of infantry in them.  I am pretty sure I know where this is going but Base defense is not infantry, it is a security function.  

ETACs, CCTs, SFs,  CWXs, and PJs aren't grunts they may require an overlap in their skill sets to what infantry does.  But if you are not infantry you are not a grunt.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I understand that aspect of it what I meant was all the rumors of getting an article 15 for getting say a sunburn and being charged with "DAMAGE to GOV Property"

You might get in trouble if you get a sunburn but it doesnt say "damage to gov property" on the paper work

It's not a rumor. Two troops in my company got company grade ART15's . I didn't read their paperwork, so I can only speculate about the " damage to gvt property ", but I am quite certain about the UCMJ being directly related to their sunburns (couldn't wear boots/uniform).

Ding ding...that's the winner...I know because while I worked off my Article 15 (not for sunburn) cleaning HQ for 10 days straight, one of the other girsl helping me got hers for that reason.
She was...very...er...RED and sick for 2 days with heatstroke. If you cannot report to duty or cannot report in full uniform, (for females, this includes bras--and they're hard to wear on crispy shoulders) they snag you. She did not lose pay or rank, but was relegated to cleaning lady after regular duty hours, as was I.

The only myth that immediately comes to mind was that the pork pattie in the MRE was supposedly loaded with Triconosis (SP?). I dunno...I needed no rumor to avoid that nasty brown sponge...

I'm sure they can find something in the UCMJ to charge you for, but it is NOT Destruction of Gov't Property. The Constitution(14th Amendment?) is very clear when it says that no human being is the property of any other person or organization. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
2003 ASOG Ops missions

damn, i thought that was a-stan at first. must have been up in kurdish country! they look like they could get the job done.

stress cards (surprised no one mentioned that! i believed it but then i'm always ready to believe anything negative anyone says about the army!).

mre's constipate you cuz the .mil wants to minimize the time spent crapping.

people who join the .mil are socioeconomically challenged or lack education.

your oth or bcd will be automatically upgraded in six months after you eas.

you give up all your rights when you join.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
1. the pay is  mighty fine.
2. the women are mighty fine.
3. the chow is mighty fine.
4. the coffee is mighty fine.

1. they give you a hundred dollars and take back 99
2. they look like phyllis diller and walk like frankenstien
3. a chicken jumped off the table and started marking time
4. it looks like muddy water and taste like turpintine

llanero, you made me LOL, thanks!

Didn't that chicken "stick to kids" or something as well?

No, no, no, its NAPALM that sticks to kids
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Air Forces SP's who say "The only difference between us and the Infantry is we can't retreat"

I have heard it twice, both times asked them when the last time they went on a week long patrol with no showers, bed, tent, hot chow ETC.......
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
EVERYONE in the Air Force is a pilot!  You didn't know that?  Hell, just ask any civilian they will set you straight.

And everyone is the Navy is on a carrier and named Maverick!

2003 ASOG Ops missions
www.173rdairborne.com/images/iraq-USAF-173rd.jpg

Well now...this thread suddenly got more interesting!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#22]
does the guy on the right look like robert goulet?

does anyone here know who robert goulet is???
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. they give you a hundred dollars and take back 99
2. they look like phyllis diller and walk like frankenstien
3. a chicken jumped off the table and started marking time
4. it looks like muddy water and taste like turpintine

llanero, you made me LOL, thanks!

Napalm sticks to babies.....
Didn't that chicken "stick to kids" or something as well?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Chem lights batteries, cans of squelch, boxes of grid squares and a key to the impact area.  I have yet to find them.  I've asked everyone and no one has these items, but they seem to think the other guy down the hall has them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#25]
You do belong to the .gov branch of your choice.  If killed in action, your body becomes a supply item.  As your body is processed for return home, it is handled by supply and your service number becomes your NSN (National Stock Number)  My father was supply in VN and I learned that from him, had it verified on active duty.

Napalm does stick to babies, as well as any one or any thing else it hits.  

C-4 works great as a sterno replacement......Just don't try to put it out after you ignite it....

For those that hate the beef in brown gravy, but like the beef in barbecue sauce, just take the ketchup pack from the hot dogs and add to the brown gravy.  You now have beef in BBQ sauce.

The reason MRE's cause constipation is because you are supposed to use 1 quart water to prepare entire meal and drink one quart water with the meal.  (I.E. 1/2 gallon water per meal or you will get a log jam)

The Geneva conventions do not cover types of ammo allowed.  It is the Hague conventions that cover munitions.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Chem lights batteries, cans of squelch, boxes of grid squares and a key to the impact area.  I have yet to find them.  I've asked everyone and no one has these items, but they seem to think the other guy down the hall has them.

They are in the same room as the role of woodline, trackline and flightline. Commonly used batteries are the BA 100 N. You need to fill out an ID 10 T form to get these items.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted: Really who else has Grunts?  

Go check a Seabee battalion, you will find some.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Seabee infantrymen? Hmmmmm,I smell somethin...[checks bottom of shoes]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ding ding...that's the winner...I know because while I worked off my Article 15 (not for sunburn) cleaning HQ for 10 days straight, one of the other girsl helping me got hers for that reason.
She was...very...er...RED and sick for 2 days with heatstroke. If you cannot report to duty or cannot report in full uniform, (for females, this includes bras--and they're hard to wear on crispy shoulders) they snag you. She did not lose pay or rank, but was relegated to cleaning lady after regular duty hours, as was I.

The only myth that immediately comes to mind was that the pork pattie in the MRE was supposedly loaded with Triconosis (SP?). I dunno...I needed no rumor to avoid that nasty brown sponge...

I thought it might have been Self-Injury Without Intent To Avoid Service, but it was probably Dereliction of Duty instead.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#30]
The Marines won the war in the Pacific. It took the combined efforts of the Navy, Marines and Army to win. The Marines lead the way in most of the worst fighting but the army was involved as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#31]

because you are supposed to use 1 quart water to prepare entire meal

How do you use a quart of water to prepare an MRE? It only takes 4oz or so to reach the line on the heater bag. And you only get one heater. And if you have a side dish that you want to heat, you can just put it in the heater bag after the entree.

After awhile, I stopped bothering with the heater altogether. That is unless it was Saturday night and I wanted something special.

Military Intelligence is an oxymoron. This is usually said by people that have never been in the military or if they are in the military they couldn't qualify for the position i.e. pop up targets, 11 bang bang etc.. Believe me, the schools are damn tough.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do not have the "infantry" name but they do have the training. Seabees are the Navy's bastard child. Noone knows about them unless they have served with them.  
If you are just on the powertrip because you have the "infantry" then go ahead have at it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Not hardly.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How do you use a quart of water to prepare an MRE? It only takes 4oz or so to reach the line on the heater bag. And you only get one heater. And if you have a side dish that you want to heat, you can just put it in the heater bag after the entree.

You're supposed to drink 1qt of water plus the 1qt of water you consumed with the drink mix.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do not have the "infantry" name but they do have the training. Seabees are the Navy's bastard child. Noone knows about them unless they have served with them.  
If you are just on the powertrip because you have the "infantry" then go ahead have at it.

yea we have those in the Army too, they're called Combat Engineers. Is the Seabee's primary mission to close with and kill the enemy? Hmmm, didn't think so...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

2.  This photo from the revolutionary war -

www.archives.gov/education/lessons/lincoln-memorial/images/iwo-jima-flag.gif

Yeah, everyone knows that it was Veitnam.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2.  This photo from the revolutionary war -

www.archives.gov/education/lessons/lincoln-memorial/images/iwo-jima-flag.gif

Yeah, everyone knows that it was Veitnam.

I'll bet alot of peopl really think it was from Nam!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
"...made by MATTEL"

No, no, that one's true!  I have a picture...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5. Eskimo pu**y is mighty cold.

A yellow bird with a yellow bill told me that one.......

I heard that same line from a monkey in the coconut grove.

He was a bad muthafucker, you could tell by his clothes
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That one is true.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure they can find something in the UCMJ to charge you for, but it is NOT Destruction of Gov't Property. The Constitution(14th Amendment?) is very clear when it says that no human being is the property of any other person or organization. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of shit.

The constitution also says that you cannot be tried for the same crime twice, however, if you're tried under UCMJ, you can also be punished under civilian law.

The constitution does not apply to military law.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

After awhile, I stopped bothering with the heater altogether. That is unless it was Saturday night and I wanted something special.

Military Intelligence is an oxymoron. This is usually said by people that have never been in the military or if they are in the military they couldn't qualify for the position i.e. pop up targets, 11 bang bang etc.. Believe me, the schools are damn tough.

The original MRE's had a high content of "dehydrated" or low-moisture foods that require the addition of water.  The standard was 1 quart to prepare and one quart to drink.  Honestly, I don't know about what they have now, but I was forced to consume the originals.  Made me seriously wish for the C-rats which I grew up on.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have served with Seabees, and have had more than a few former Seabess come to my Combat Engineer unit.

They do not have the training. The are familiar with small arms to an extent, but the average non-infantry soldier has a better grasp of basic combat tasks and small unit tactics than any Seabee I ever met or worked with.

Combat Engineers have a secondary mission of serving as Infantry, train in Infantry tactics, and will often lead Infantry assaults through heavily defended obstacles, but you won't run into one Engineer here who considers himself a "grunt". Seabees do none of that.

They know enough to try and defend themselves if attacked, but thats about it from my experience. I am sure to someone from a normal Navy background they look pretty high-speed, but in all honesty thats not the case.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
U.S. Park Rangers

1  Don't carry weapons
2  Can't make arrests
3  Aren't real law enforcement
4  "I thought you just did tours???????"
                "We are doing a tour!" " This is the  jail!" "This is your room for the night!"

Are you even remotely suggesting that a park ranger is in some way comparable to a member of the United States Military?

get back in your cage this is  not a JBT bashing thread
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have served with Seabees, and have had more than a few former Seabess come to my Combat Engineer unit.

They do not have the training. The are familiar with small arms to an extent, but the average non-infantry soldier has a better grasp of basic combat tasks and small unit tactics than any Seabee I ever met or worked with.

Combat Engineers have a secondary mission of serving as Infantry, train in Infanry tactics, and will often lead Infatry assaults through heavily defended obstacles, but you won't run into one Engineer here who considers himself a "grunt". Seabees do none of that.

They know enough to try and defend themselves if attacked, but thats about it from my experience. I am sure to someone from a normal Navy background they look pretty high-speed, but in all honesty thats not the case.

hooah...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#47]
That's my point....just the opinion of a few that served with you.

Check the Seabee AP crews when they touched down in the sandbox. Their primary mission was to build a camp but the training takes place in combat. That's a nice welcome, being shot when landing...

Also read on the Seabee Combat Warefare Specialist and decide if it is just small arms training.

hooah
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The constitution also says that you cannot be tried for the same crime twice, however, if you're tried under UCMJ, you can also be punished under civilian law.

The constitution does not apply to military law.

Yeah, sure it doesn't.......

The facts are simple. The Constitution applies to everyone, military or not. The military doesn't own people.

I don't doubt that there have been COs who tried to NJP people for Destroying Gov't Property due to sunburns.

I don't doubt that there are people stupid enough to let that happen.

However, the fact remains that members of the military are not slaves, livestock, or any other type of property. If they were, they wouldn't get paid. You CAN be charged for doing something that intentionally keeps you from performing your duty. You cannot be charged for accidently getting hurt. If you could, thousands of personnel would have legal action pending for being injured in auto accidents.

By the way, double jeopardy applies to the military as well. You cannont be convicted under the UCMJ and charged for the same crime in civilian court, nor can you be acquitted under the UCMJ and be charged for the same crime. If you think otherwise, I challenge you to find one verifieable example, anywhere, of a service member being subject to double jeopardy in the United States.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Well, as long as you're looking, go to commo and get a PRC-E7.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
A yellow bird with a yellow bill told me that one.......

Yeah, well, I lured him in with a piece of bread and then I smashed his XXX head.  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top