Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:53 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a new laptop. What brands to you suggest? Where is the best place to buy one?
My budget is under $1500.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:33:02 PM EDT
Sager

Apple intel MacBook.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:33:40 PM EDT
Dell

Toshiba

IBM

Sager
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:39:08 PM EDT
Dell.
whatever brand you get, get the 2-3 year warranty
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:12:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:
....Apple intel MacBook.....

-Ehhh, maybe not. The estimated price is $2000, ain't it? Are they even taking orders? And the ones out for review seem to be prototypes anyway (with proto-typical problems).

A geek.com story notes that Intel has found 34 CPU logic errors in the new dual-core already,
geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Jan/bch20060123034350.htm

and MacWorld testing only found it 25% faster than the iMac G5 in most realistic uses.
www.macworld.com/2006/01/features/imaclabtest1/index.php
-----
There's a lot of problems right now, attempting a new CPU and a new OS at the same time is pretty daring. Certainly a lot of these matters will be fixed soon, but I would at least wait until the CPU is 100% corrected. The software can be updated online.
~
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:15:36 AM EDT
My daughter bought a Dell Inspiron laptop two years ago. Three total meltdowns plus a hard drive crash later it's been retired. She bought the extended warranty and Dell fixed it each time but she was still without a computer for a week after each crash while waiting for Dell's "next business day" response.

She has an IBM now and has had no problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:19:54 AM EDT
Toshiba, the two I have owned have never quit are as fast as they were coming out of the box. The Dell I owned got shipped back twice and refunded.

Dell is the Abosolute Vodka of the computer industry....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:34:26 AM EDT
Toshiba is my vote. I have personal experience with at least 12 new ones over the past year and I have only had two fail and both were from abuse.

Sony has a nice notebook and the price reflects how much they think of it.

I have NEVER seen a Dell notebook that impressed me in any way and I have seen high failure rates out of them.

+1 on the extended 2-3 year accidental damage warranty.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:53:51 AM EDT
Toshiba is my choice.

IBM doesn't make laptops anymore, they sold their PC business to the chinese.

Still the same product though, so they should still be a good choice. Not like 90% of the parts in any other brand don't already come from china anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:07:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 4:08:21 AM EDT by DirtyDan]
Save your money and get a nice used one with a BRAND new hard-drive trade every 16-24 months, sell for around 1/2 to 3/4 what you have into it.
Oh IBM is the way to go
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:23:38 AM EDT
I have heard from a couple Japanese people that there, Panasonic laptops are considered to be the best, and they're always among the top-rated. They tend to be expensive certainly, might not be one in the OP's price range, but anyway I'm just sayin'....

In the US you don't see a lot of Panasonics. You almost have to buy through a grey importer, and the instruction manuals will all be in Japanese. And I don't even know how the warranties are handled.
~
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT by JavaMan]

Originally Posted By oubeta:
I'm in the market for a new laptop. What brands to you suggest? Where is the best place to buy one?
My budget is under $1500.

I love my Acer that I got from Newegg. I did pony up for model that is basically a full gaming system and was a little over your budget, but check out this one out for less than $1200 - AMD 64 1.6GHz, 512 MB DDR, 100 GB HD, DVD/RW Multi, ATI 700m graphics w/64MB RAM, and the 15.4" WXGA TFT display is super bright and clear. Plus it comes with XP Pro. Here's one for about a grand.

If you want something under $900 and don't want the wide-screen, this one will probably fit your bill. And if you gotta have Centrino...

I've gotten extremely good servive from Newegg in the past with no problems at all - even when I decided to return something. Plus they have buyer-written reviews and don't edit or delete them, even if they're negative so you know what's good and what's not.
Top Top