BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello

When I first got into carpentry about 15 years ago, this old fart(not the customer) came over to the jobsite and proceeded to tell us how he would have built the house.  To which my boss replied:  "Just because you helped someone shingle a house twenty years ago doesn't make you a carpenter. "
Use your own judgement.  More times than not, the money savings turn into a ugly piece of worthless shit when an amature trys their hand at carpentry
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Seriously, why  is it  that I should buy these.  by the looks of them a 7 year old could make one and they want in upwards of $150-$200  for a simple one to span my garage.  Lets see, 20 of them @ $200 a piece is $4000.  Are you kidding me, $4k for $300 worth of 2'x'4s and some glue. I could cut my garage price by a 1/3 or more by making these things.

What  is it I am missing,  why can't I just set up a jig and build them?  Why is it that every webisite I visit pretends that they are a freaking wonder of the world and you have to have a Dr. in physics just to comprehend them?

Any uplift or downlift issues in your area. I'm a builder in hurricane land and the use of trusses is mandatory unless signed off by an engineer. I have seen what held up and what dis not in the storms over the last two years. Believe me, Engineered trusses, designed by a computer, Hold up a lot better than conventionally framed rafters....... period.........
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Trusses should be cheaper than a cut roof, but if you are dead set on doing it yourself, definitely cut the ridge rafters and joists instead for making trusses.

Also remember if you use trusses, you will not be able have any attic storage, as most trusses are not rated for the load.

Also if you live where we live just haveing the lower floor plate J bolted is not enough,you should have the top plate,and joists connected with metal plates also(something about wind)!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trusses should be cheaper than a cut roof, but if you are dead set on doing it yourself, definitely cut the ridge rafters and joists instead for making trusses.

Also remember if you use trusses, you will not be able have any attic storage, as most trusses are not rated for the load.

Also if you live where we live just haveing the lower floor plate J bolted is not enough,you should have the top plate,and joists connected with metal plates also(something about wind)!

Bob

We call those hurricane clips here in tornado alley!

I use both in my houses.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Trusses are like anything else, if you have a set of plans and the truss is  designed properly, it is not difficult to build them.

go HEREand look around if you want to see what site built trusses can do.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

In Florida the average home we build has over 12,000 sheating nails alone in the roof decking. It will also have over 75 metal truss to wall connection straps wirh a rating of 1,700 pounds of uplift each. As many as 1,000 concrete "Tapcon's" at door's, windows and any openings.Any girder truss will have special strapping to withstand uplifts approaching 35,000 lbs each. The block walls are poured solid concrete with #5 rebar every 6 feet and at every window or door opening and corners,creating a solid connection to the top tie beam from the foundation. All glass must be impact resistant (super expensive). The garage door must be rated to withstand a 130 mph wind.......And people ask me why there home is going to cost so much to build..........
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top