Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 12:19:34 PM EDT
I think it may be time to replace the washing machine and the Mrs. seems interested in the Front Loading types.  Anyone out there have any recommendations or experience with them?  Nothing is too good for my wifey!! (So far this month I got a 460 S&W, the SEBR, a K31, and have a shotgun on order).  And before you ask, no she doesn't have any sisters!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
get the sears he3 or he4  (add the t for heater if you need it)

will never get anything but again.- It is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTFridge...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IBTFridge...

www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/108472.jpg

That one even creeps me out.

But this one...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
get the sears he3 or he4  (add the t for heater if you need it)

will never get anything but again.- It is awesome.

Consumer reports agrees, so that's whatI bought a month ago.

No complaints, nicely made and they are QUIET.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm surprised Dr Frige doesn't surf this site with images turned off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
We have the whirlpool duet set and we're much happier with them than my parents are with their Kenmore HE models.  Theirs seem to get unbalanced and wobble very frequently while ours never do.  Either way I highly recommend a high-end fron loading set.

Sauce
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm surprised Dr Frige doesn't surf this site with images turned off.

He just pretends that he hates spiders. He also pretends that he hates those of us who antagonize him with spiders. It's all a big game.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesus, people.  He's Dr. Frige, not Dr. Washer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Jesus, people.  He's Dr. FriDge, not Dr. Washer.

Fixed.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes, I realize this.  However, I would imagine that someone who works with major appliances daily would probably be more up to speed on these things than myself.  Would you not agree?  If there were a DrWasher on the site, I would ask him/her, but alas, I don't know of one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I realize this.  However, I would imagine that someone who works with major appliances daily would probably be more up to speed on these things than myself.  Would you not agree?  If there were a DrWasher on the site, I would ask him/her, but alas, I don't know of one.

See?  You should be looking for Dr. WaDsher.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the Good Doctor will recommend one of these top loaders:

Fisher & Paykel

We followed his recommendation last year when our five year old high-end Kenmores died.

Momma likes them.  

And that is a good thing!  

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone needs to make an animated GIF of a refigerator door opening revealing a bunch of spiders
running around inside and then they jump out at the viewer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
DrFrige doesn't like frontloaders.  He'll try to talk you into a Fisher & Paykel.  Something about doing a good job cleaning and being very reliable and cheap and easy to repair.

I, on the other hand, do like frontloaders and I especially like my Whirlpool Duet.  It's very quiet, easy on the clothes, and doesn't use much water or electricity.  It hasn't broken down yet, so I don't know about repair costs.  I expect they'd be high.

I'm pretty sure DrFrige will also tell you that if you absolutely must have a frontloader, stay away from the Maytag Neptune series.  They're nothing but trouble.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy crap John.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Got distracted in reading all the "quotes" and lost track of who said what.  Oh, well, thanks to those with genuine replies in response to my question.

For those of you intent on torturing the good Dr., SHAME ON YOU!!

PosterChild, I just don't know what to say to you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#17]
John, that's a good one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The wife got the Sears a couple of years ago.  As far as I know, it works great.  I just get this second hand as I'm forbidden from touching the washer (she's even gone as far as hide the owners manual).  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
We were not happy with the Duet by Whirlpool. Small clothes keep getting stuck under the gasket. Any colors whatsoever in the white load and all white lingerie or synthetics turn dirty gray. There is no pre-wash cycle, either.

Had a repair man over on two occasions for warranty repairs and it is still not 100%. My wife wants to sell it and get a top loader.

Sauce - do you have any of the above problems?

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#20]
When we moved into our house 8 years ago, my wife insisted that we get a Maytag washer and dryer.  They've been the reason for about 3 or 4 service calls now.  

Oh btw DrFrige, whatcha think of the new avatar?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds as if DrFrige is kinda "Old school" like I am.  I have tended to "steer" my wife towards pretty basic models (minimal electronics, pushbuttons, or other gizmos) because I generally try to fix everything myself.  I know the front loading ones supposedly get stuff cleaner and are more energy effecient etc, but my guess is the complexity of those machines might very well exceed my ability to fix them.

I was looking at the Whirlpool or the Maytag, and I just signed up for consumer reports and have come across the problems with the Maytags.  I didn't consider the Kenmores because there isn't a Sears department store anywhere close.  There is a small Sears appliance and hardware store where I could purchase one, but I have not been very happy with their service in the past.  I might have to give them another try.

Thanks all,

Cavu

ETA:  Wow, I really messed up with the use of the quote function that time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
We were not happy with the Duet by Whirlpool. Small clothes keep getting stuck under the gasket. Any colors whatsoever in the white load and all white lingerie or synthetics turn dirty gray. There is no pre-wash cycle, either.

Had a repair man over on two occasions for warranty repairs and it is still not 100%. My wife wants to sell it and get a top loader.

S.O.

I'm not Sauce, but I do have a Duet, and I've had no problems whatsoever.  Never had anything get stuck and never had trouble mixing whites and colors.  But then, none of my whites are lingerie or synthetics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Free bump, I would like to hear what DrFridge has to say to since I will be in the market soon too.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We were not happy with the Duet by Whirlpool. Small clothes keep getting stuck under the gasket. Any colors whatsoever in the white load and all white lingerie or synthetics turn dirty gray. There is no pre-wash cycle, either. Had

S.O.

Nope, no problems whatsoever.  My wife (the laundry is generally her domain) is pretty zealous about seperating whites and using some sort of color catcher sheets in the wash though.  I don't think we've ever had clothes get stuck under the gasket though.

We bought ours in the fall of ought four, BTW.

Sauce
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I would stay away from the May Tag Neptune series,Doesnt clean your clothes for shit. I was never happier than when it finally puked and I could get A good quality top loader. Just my experience though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#26]
In case the spiders scared him off, here's what the Doc said in another thread:

Quoted:
I DO NOT like Front load washers I do not like them at all
I do not like to work on them, I dont dance with them at a ball
I do not like front loaders, I treat them with disgust
I can always rely on them to flood when they bust.

No I do not like front loaders a pain in the ass to fix
I would rather be covered with head lice, leeches, tarantulas and ticks
No I would rather pet a spider than have a front loader
A pet spider in deed.
A TOP LOADER is what you want and of course is what you need!

AHhhhhhhh that gives me a good DrSuess fix doesnt it?

Yes Fisher & Paykel is the way to go for washers, Pattymcn has a thread that she started in the womens forum... Dont ask me what I was doing there!

If water conservation is what you are looking for, These are the way to go because it KNOWS how much water to add... all you do is hit "start". What it does is uses resistance of the agitator against the clothes to know the amount so the level is always perfect.

What is the reason she wants a front loader? If she is DEAD SET on getting a front loader I would go with Bosch first then the Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid/Kenmore Front loaders... STAY AWAY FROM MAYTAG!!!

But dont forget that Austalian technology keeps the average homeowner in mind to fix their own appliances. Even though they use TOP NOTCH service companies for service, (DrFrige gives himself a pat on the back) They are still geared for homeowner repairs. You just call their 800# and they can walk you through most any diagnosis. PLUS their customer care number has live people answering 24 hours a day 7 days a week... Dont believe me? 1-888-9FNPUSA and NOT an answering service.

I cant say enough good things about them (as you can tell)

when I started my own business I did work for over 20 companies... includeing Bosch, Thermador and Gaggenau. Fisher& Paykel kept asking me to sign on but I kept saying no. One day I figured what the hell... see what they are about. I walked out of that meeting with my mouth dropped because of the technology. A year later, I ended up dropping Bosch, Gaggenau and Thermador because of the Customer Service and Tech assistance that F&P had to offer.

I am NOT getting any $$$ for referring them. (sure wish I was though) I do so because I believe in the product and the company.

And in Pattymcn's thread:

Quoted:
Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!...

It saved my marriage! We had a Maytag that was a friggin Albatross. Fisher & Paykels are Simple, Direct drive (So no transmissions or couplers to break) and I can literally take the whole machine apart from start to finish with just a Phillips Screwdriver. Best washer I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. The spin speed is so flippin fast that your clothes are practically dry which then cuts down on dryer time.

You know how your wash load is always done before the dryer is finished? Not anymore.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
We have the whirlpool duet set and we're much happier with them than my parents are with their Kenmore HE models.  Theirs seem to get unbalanced and wobble very frequently while ours never do.  Either way I highly recommend a high-end fron loading set.

Sauce

+1

got the same set and no Bull$hit my water and elec. bill have been cut in half the washer only uses 15 gal. of water  a load compared to 40 gal on our old top loader.....If you get the washer get the dryer to. Ours came with 1 year free detergent..........MONEY WELL SPENT
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks John!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks John!

No problem.  After three thousand smart-ass trolling posts, I thought it was about time for one that was useful and informative, (even if it didn't contain any original material).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I should have used the search function because there is a bunch of good info in those threads.  I did look at a  Fisher and Paykel at Lowe's and it looked like a good machine.  My only concern is that consumer reports ranks them pretty poorly for maintenance issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top