Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:21:12 PM EDT
For Immediate Release
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 306

Paul Thompson
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 229

U.S. Repeating Arms Company to Close
New Haven, Connecticut Facility

U.S. Repeating Arms Company, maker of Winchester brand rifles and shotguns will close its New Haven, Connecticut manufacturing facility.  Many efforts were made to improve profitability at the manufacturing facility in New Haven, and the decision was made after exhausting all available options.

Effective March 31, 2006 the New Haven manufacturing facility will stop manufacturing the Winchester Model 70, Model 94 and Model 1300.

Winchester Firearms will continue to see and grow its current line of Select over & under shotguns, the new Super X3 autoloading shotgun, the new Super X autoloading rifle and Limited Edition rifles.  The company also plans to introduce new models in the future.  There will be no change in Customer Service.

This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization.  Winchester Firearms plans to continue the great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
For Immediate Release
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 306

Paul Thompson
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 229

U.S. Repeating Arms Company, maker of Winchester brand rifles and shotguns will close its New Haven, Connecticut manufacturing facility.  Many efforts were made to improve profitability at the manufacturing facility in New Haven, and the decision was made after exhausting all available options.

Effective March 31, 2006 the New Haven manufacturing facility will stop manufacturing the Winchester Model 70, Model 94 and Model 1300.

Winchester Firearms will continue to see and grow its current line of Select over & under shotguns, the new Super X3 autoloading shotgun, the new Super X autoloading rifle and Limited Edition rifles.  The company also plans to introduce new models in the future.  There will be no change in Customer Service.

This action is a realignment of resources to make Winchester Firearms a stronger, more viable organization.  Winchester Firearms plans to continue the great Winchester legacy and is very excited about the future.

An off shore future that is.......
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For Immediate Release
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 306

Paul Thompson
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 229

Maybe they should ask Ruger how they maintain US production over a wide line of products, without losing their asses?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm betting if this were a non firearms company the state would be giving them aid to stay open
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Dear God....

Could someone buy the stinking name, move production to Arizona or some other gun freindly state... and produce the guns that Winchester was known for in the past...Quality lever actions actually worth buying...

Amen...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maybe they should ask Ruger how they maintain US production over a wide line of products, without losing their asses?

Lowered everyone's expectations?

Ruger does casting for a lot of other companies, some firearms related, some not.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For Immediate Release
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 306

Paul Thompson
(801) 876-2711, Ext. 229

Getting the hell out of Connecticut would be a first good step, besides being anti gun CT is a very expensive place to do business.

NH...on the other hand....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm betting if this were a non firearms company the state would be giving them aid to stay open

Interestingly, many politicos are upset at this news. Whether or not it's just an act is anybody's guess, however.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lowered everyone's expectations?

Ruger does casting for a lot of other companies, some firearms related, some not.

Yeah, and Ruger knows how to stay in business. And, magically, they sell shitload of decent guns.....in spite of Bill's stupid politics.

They're an American success story, like them or not.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Not gun related. However, Yesterday another company in the area is closing down their shop.  In North Haven next to New Haven the Stop&Shop company is shutting down it's warehouse facility and 800 jobs will be lost. So in period of 2 weeks the area will have 1000 people  are notified that they will be out of  work!

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Move that damn factory to a "right to work" state.  One out west or in the mid-west, where the cost of living isn't so high and unions non-existant.  It could be profitable there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't FN Herstal the owner of Winchester arms?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Interestingly, many politicos are upset at this news. Whether or not it's just an act is anybody's guess, however.

Okay.  I'll guess.  It is an act.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't bitch - all you Walmart shoppers - this occurs when you can't meet Walmart's demands for ever lower prices
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:17:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Let's see....

Unions.
Anti-gun state.
Complicated lever action.
Better guns on the market than theirs.

I can't imagine what could have done this to them....  

Woody
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#16]
US Reapeating Arms is owned by FN. But the name Winchester is owned by Olin. US Repeating Arms only had purchase the rights to use the name until 2007. So Olin could possible sell the use of the Winchester name to someone else.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dear God....

Could someone buy the stinking name, move production to Arizona or some other gun freindly state... and produce the guns that Winchester was known for in the past...Quality lever bolt actions actually worth buying...

Amen...

Pre-64 model 70 > All
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:51:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Winchester's biggest reason for it's problem is that they have NEVER made a gun that I wanted to buy. Sure, they make a nice bolt gun-but so does everybody else. Would I have preferred to give them my business when buying handguns and military rifles? Hell yes! Unfortunately, they are selling to my Father and Grandfather and have no interest in the future of their market. The are following the same path that motorcycle manufacturers have: they are stuck in a marketing rut where they have pitched product against the same customer for 30+ years. No new blood and the market dies when the customer does.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Marlin 30-30 I bought a couple of years ago.  It’s a nice rifle tight, accurate, and fun to shoot.  I went to a local gun store yesterday and they had a Winchester Ranch 30-30.  I almost bought it, until I picked it up and started working the lever.  It was sloppy and just didn’t look like it was made as well as the Marlin.  They wanted retail for it.  Why would I want this over the Marlin that was almost $100 less and seemed to be better made?   I think this is one reason they are going out of business one the lever action guns.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:08:35 AM EDT
[#20]
This frustrates me mostly because I have been wanting a 94 for the last couple years.  Luckily there is probably such a backstock that availablity on this should not even sag before the rights transfer in 07.  

Hell, avaibility of Kimber probably suffered more from the NYC contract than this.

That said, I think winchester has made a lot of poor marketing decisions.  I own winchester replicas.  That is entirely winchester's fault for not offering a comparable product and a competitive price.  Perhaps the future owner will be more wise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top