Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
First manufacturer I picked,   Winchester JHP ammo

1010fps            408 ft lbs

990fps            320 ft lbs

One of those is a 9mm 147 gr JHP
The other is a .40 180 gr JHP

Guess which is which.  

ETA all those stats are taken directly from the Winchester website.  I'd say 88 ft lbs is a big difference when your talking in the 3-400 ft lb range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot the largest round you can effectively hit with.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was in the market for a Glock, I had it narrowed down to either a Glock 19 or a Glock 23.  I ultimately decided on the 9mm, both because of the slightly higher standard capacity and the kickass 33-round mags available for it.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When I was in the market for a Glock, I had it narrowed down to either a Glock 19 or a Glock 23.  I ultimately decided on the 9mm, both because of the slightly higher standard capacity and the kickass 33-round mags available for it.  

with some slight pressure on the lips they'll work for a .40
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting a Glock.

is the 40 really that much better than the 9?

i don't like guns that have a lot of muzzle blast & recoil.

i know a lot of guys think that it is sissy to admit that, but if you remove the he-man factor, most people are better served by a gun that they can actually hit with.  

a clean miss with a 44 magnum is less effective than a hit with a 357., etc

anyway, is there a significant difference in recoil?  power?  effectiveness?

thanks

If you have to get a Glock make it a 9mm.

If you decide you want something bigger get a .45 ACP in a 1911 style pistol.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First manufacturer I picked,   Winchester JHP ammo

1010fps            408 ft lbs

990fps            320 ft lbs

One of those is a 9mm 147 gr JHP
The other is a .40 180 gr JHP

Guess which is which.  

ETA all those stats are taken directly from the Winchester website.  I'd say 88 ft lbs is a big difference when your talking in the 3-400 ft lb range.

those two loads are kind of anemic.

some of the hot .40 rounds (Corbon) actually dump more energy than 45acp loads (from same company).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
)(*&(*)*W&%)&Q*)*O&SIULKJXFAPWUPXVFBPXCBVUGA{UGWPIUGPCIUYAGPI!*@(*Y%PS{Ahsdjhfpjh{piwugp(&@(*_&

interesting, but my glock 17 has 17 round mags.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My first handgun was a 9mm because that's a centerfire handgun round I can afford to get lots of practice in with. Believe me, if it comes down to it, I think it'd be better to have the added skill gained by an extra couple thousand rounds of affordable practice under your belt than to just have a bullet size that's slightly larger in lieu of the added skill. I am not saying that extra size isn't benificial - it is. I am just saying if you can't afford to become very proficient with a given weapon, then you have no buisness relying on it to save your life. On the other hand, if you can afford to shoot lots of .40, then by all means use it (if you can handle it well). You'll have both advantages.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Rule 26. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4".
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
)(*&(*)*W&%)&Q*)*O&SIULKJXFAPWUPXVFBPXCBVUGA{UGWPIUGPCIUYAGPI!*@(*Y%PS{Ahsdjhfpjh{piwugp(&@(*_&

That is what I was about to say.

Some of my G17 mags have 17 rounds and some have 33 rounds!

If you are picking Cor-Bon for defensive ammo you are picking some poor ammo.

If you feel the need to have .40 +P ammo just get a .45 ACP or maybe a 10 mm!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Fo'ties & Nines
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Who fuckin' cares anymore? Just buy something that you';; go fucking shoot more than twice a year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For what its worth...

The Denver Police Department authorizes the 9mm and the .45acp. They see no advantage to the .40 over the 9mm so the .40 is not authorized.

Well if Denver disagrees with the Majority of LE agencies in the country then we should all listen huh.  The most widely issued police side arm is the Glock22

Maybe you should. There may be value in their opinion. And I don't think its because they say the .40 is so bad, but because they believe that when properly loaded the 9mm is just as good.

And you can't say the .40 is the best simply because the majority of agencies carry it.

And although I switch between a G22 and a G35 on duty, I'm not so sure that the G22 is the most widely used. Although Glock would like us to think so.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting responses.

Sounds like the 40 is a somewhat better round without much more recoil.

I just don't want a gun that is actually unpleasant to shoot.  I had two rifles like that and I was sorry I bought them.   What's the point of buying a gun if you hate shooting it.  (The two rifles were a 45-70 and a remington seven 308 18" barrel.  talk about muzzle blast.  whoo wee)

basically, I guess I could get either or both and be pretty happy.

BTW, I don't believe in "shot placement".  if you are trading shots with someone you're just as liable to hit the guy in the armpit as the heart.  if I gotta rely on a heart shot i'm going to be in trouble.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'd skip the 40 (especially in a Glock) and get either a 9 or 45. The 40 has a "snap" to the recoil compared to the 45's "push".

What he said. In the Glock23, the .40 has a hard muzzle flip kind of recoil. I would opt for a model 30  or a model 19. The 30 is very nice to shoot, compact and reliable. Plus it's .45.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]
9mikemike rules, 40 and 45auto is for pussies, you would need two clips of 40 and 45auto to knock down a coyote, where one shot of 9mm and he sleeps with the fishes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer either a 9mm or 45 over a 40 caliber, even though I've been carrying a Glock 22 (duty weapon) 9 years now.  Off duty, I'm usually carrying a 38special, 9mm, or 45, depending on weather, attire, and mood.  As with any gun, go with good quality defensive rounds.  I usually stick with Speer Golddots.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer the 9mm, simply for the shear fact that the ammo is so damn cheap.

and thanks to the many loocations of  Wally-Mart, there is virually an unlimited supply of Winchester 115gr FMJ's to sling down the firing lane for $8/50rnd box and $12/100rnd box

since I own 3 HK's all in 9mm, I refuse to buy any other caliber since it's cheaper to buy the ammo than to make it.

this is just my $0.02    (a couple more of these, and I can buy another box!)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Some real Nancy boys out there who don't like the .40 because it snaps.  I can shoot it all day long with no problems.  I like the idea of carying 12 rounds of 180gr gold dot goodness.  Honestly I can tell very little difference between a fullsize 9mm, .40, .357Sig or .45acp when it comes to recoil.  They all feel like handguns going off to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Some real Nancy boys out there who don't like the .40 because it snaps.  I can shoot it all day long with no problems.  I like the idea of carying 12 rounds of 180gr gold dot goodness.  Honestly I can tell very little difference between a fullsize 9mm, .40, .357Sig or .45acp when it comes to recoil.  They all feel like handguns going off to me.

Depends on the gun.  In my SIG 229 or an HK USP, I can shoot 40 very comfortably and accurately.  Hell, even my 9 year old can shoot my SIG 229.  But in a Glock it does kick harder because the gun is lighter and the grip angle is different.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Depends on the gun.  In my SIG 229 or an HK USP, I can shoot 40 very comfortably and accurately.  Hell, even my 9 year old can shoot my SIG 229.  But in a Glock it does kick harder because the gun is lighter and the grip angle is different.

That is why Glocks suck
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, that .05 inches makes a huge difference in lethality.

I have carried a GLOCK 19 for several years. I practice with it at least once a week, draw and dry fire practice every day, and have complete confidence in myself and my weapon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

G17: 16+1 capacity
9mm x 17 rounds = 153mm

G17 is 17+1 capacity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Rule 26. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4".

but but 9 is a larger number then 4.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock Fo-Tay!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#26]
well Red65,

Have you made a decision yet?  This debate could go on forever...

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#27]
It's not what you shoot it's how you shoot that matters. I get faster doubles and triples with a nine than I do with my 45. I love my 45 but I carry a CZ 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the .40.

I like Glocks.

I like the 9mm.

I like Sig Sauers.

I like the .45 ACP.

I like 1911s.

I doubt there is a caliber or gun I would not like....

Try shooting the .40 next to a 9mm. Decide what you like best.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Correct me if I'm wrong.
This round may be called "40 smith".
There has been no (or little) mention of S&W in this thread.
I'm trying out the M&P .40 tomorrow.
Looks and feels to be a nice package.
Will update after a box or two.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong.
This round may be called "40 smith".
There has been no (or little) mention of S&W in this thread.
I'm trying out the M&P .40 tomorrow.
Looks and feels to be a nice package.
Will update after a box or two.

The Smith 40 autos were and are not as accurate as other brands.  Don't know about the new M&P though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#33]
All that I know is that both MI SP and Kalamazoo County Sheriff Dept went from the 9mm SiG p226 to the .40 SiG P226.  The officers that I've spoken to have universally preffered the .40 to the 9mm.  Apparently, pistol qualification scores have gone up with the change as well.

Anecdote:  With the 9mm, it often took more than one shot to dispatch a wounded deer from a car-deer accident, but it rarely takes more than one with the .40,  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Get whichever one you are most accurate and comfortable with.

Winging a baddie three times with a .40 or .45 is a lot worse than hitting him once COM with a 9mm.

Oh I dunno.  winging a right handed armed shooter in the left hand, right foot and left food while he returns fire with his right and is not a good thing.

I go with the the hardest hitting round, you can actually handle and shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mathematically speaking:  Are you professional enuf to carry a 40?

I like where you are going with the math/numbers, but don't forget the SPEED factor!  
Speed * weight/size = force of projectile (ie:"stopping power" even though I hate that phrase)

Didn't want to get too far ahead of the curve.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I use a .40 caliber because I feel it has more power than a 9mm, without resorting to .45 that usually means an 8rnd 1911. My USP is .40 and my Beretta Vertec w/ M6 is also in .40. Another consideration is the use of the .40 by law enforcement during some type of SHTF situation. (invasion, asisting LEO's etc.)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought they did, too. But I checked a couple web sites quickly to verify, and they both said 16+1, I went with that. Don't undermine my research, dude. Just don't.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
The idea is use as much gun as you can handle,

keeping in mind grip size and mag capacity,

I feel a fo-tay is a good comprimise, as I carry 14 rounds (one chambered) and can still conceal it under a tee

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I caried a .45 for years.  It took the PD I was working for at the time to go to 40 only before I even looked at anything but the 45.  I liked the 40, but at the end of the day, a 9mm put where it needs to be is as good as anything you would ever want.  Here in Canada most of the "Police Services" (I love that, its not a Force or a Department, It's a Service) are using the 9mm.  That being said, Canadians on a whole are not as gun savy as Americans, and I don't know if the 40 has gotten it's chance to shine.  Go with what works for you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have carried a GLOCK 19 for several years. I practice with it at least once a week, draw and dry fire practice every day, and have complete confidence in myself and my weapon.

I seriously hope you are kidding about the first part of your post. It could mean THE difference in hitting part of the CNS or missing it completely.

Good for you on the second part though. Everyone should practice as much as possible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
When two calibers are so close dimensionally that people keep mixing them while loading magazines,  You are going to have a hard time convincing me that one is superior to the other.

How would you mistake a 9mm cartridge for a .40 S&W? Neither ball ammo or HPs in those rounds look even remotely close enough to mistake for another IMO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When two calibers are so close dimensionally that people keep mixing them while loading magazines,  You are going to have a hard time convincing me that one is superior to the other.

How would you mistake a 9mm cartridge for a .40 S&W? Neither ball ammo or HPs in those rounds look even remotely close enough to mistake for another IMO.

Yeah, I have a .40 and several 9mms. I've never once tried to load the wrong round. They don't look anything alike and then there's that other difference...a .40 is noticeably larger than a 9mm. But other than that, they look almost identical.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Forget about all those pussy rounds, 9mm, .40, .45 and get yourself a real gun.  The 10mm loaded to it's original specifications puts all other auto calibers to shame.

Thats just like starting your boy off deer hunting with a fagat rifle like the 270.  Hell if ain't got Weatherby or Winchester Magnum on the side of that barrel, you might as well be sending him off to ballet class.

All humor aside, the nine is just fine.  Plus the ammo is cheap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously hope you are kidding about the first part of your post. It could mean THE difference in hitting part of the CNS or missing it completely.

Good for you on the second part though. Everyone should practice as much as possible.

.05 inches in diameter could make the difference? What about the almost inch of penetration that the 9mm has over the .40?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Well I'll put it this way, if someone was holding a .40 to my head, I wouldn't be any more or less scared than if it was a 9mm or .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To date I have seen it 7 times at CHL qualifications. Once it was a husband and wife.  Talking and not paying attention at the loading table is the main culprit.  Makes for some interesting  failure drills.

It's happened enough that I now caution against it in the range safety brief.

Interestingly,  they've all been Glock shooters.  That also might be the underlying reason.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To date I have seen it 7 times at CHL qualifications. Once it was a husband and wife.  Talking and not paying attention at the loading table is the main culprit.  Makes for some interesting  failure drills.

It's happened enough that I now caution against it in the range safety brief.

Interestingly,  they've all been Glock shooters.  That also might be the underlying reason.

I saw somebody do it. I have a USP9 and a friend has a USP40. We had a 3rd friend shooting with us and he picked up my mag and put it in the USP40, chambered a round and pulled the trigger, nothing happened, he went to rack the slide and try again, thats when I took the gun from him. my friend with the USP40 looked like he was ready to kill him
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#48]
9mm and .45ACP are the only two auto pistol calibers worth owning, IMO.  This is especially true if you own several handguns and don't like to buy 10 different kinds of ammo all the time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
9mm and .45ACP are the only two auto pistol calibers worth owning, IMO.  This is especially true if you own several handguns and don't like to buy 10 different kinds of ammo all the time.

aint that the truth.

G17 and a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
.05 inches in diameter could make the difference? What about the almost inch of penetration that the 9mm has over the .40?

I'm not saying its a huge difference, but yeah it could make a difference. A .45 isn't all that much bigger either, but it does still have a better chance of hitting the CNS doesn't it? According to the FBI the .40 penetrates far enough to be effective. I personally don't care what someone uses, its more about shot placement anyway. I'm sure the 9mm +Ps would be just fine for self defense. I'll personally stick to my .40 and .45.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top