Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:10:11 PM EDT
Its interesting how we get attached to "things".

I had this boots since 1991 when I purchased it to wear on a camping/hiking trip to Georgia.  Since then this has been by favorite walking/hiking boots and it had gone with me everywhere for 15 years.

Back when I used to travel a lot for work I used to pack this boot along with a jean, shirt and a jacket so I can go out exploring on weekends.   It had gone with me to Sweden, Germany, Italy, Panama, Nicaragua, China, Russia, Korea, Egypt, Japan, Canada, Spain and some other countries I can't remember right now.  I wore it when I walked the Great Wall of China, across the bridge from Poland to Germany, walked around Red Square, Tienemen Square and death camps of Auschwitz and Sobobor (whats left of it) and walked around the pyramids of Egypt and Guatamala.

After all that time the old boot has had it.  The leather has worn out in couple places and the heel no longer give the necessary support.  The sole is worn and all that walking has compressed the bottom.  

Last time I wore it was after Hurricane Wilma when I had to cut and clear trees from the yard her at my house and at my neighbor's and my parents.

Gonna miss it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
ouch!! just seeing the brand name Timberland made my feet hurt I had a pair for work and were absolutly the worst pair of footwear I had ever owned. go Wolverine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
R.I.P.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I can smell those from NY.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ouch!! just seeing the brand name Timberland made my feet hurt I had a pair for work and were absolutly the worst pair of footwear I had ever owned. go Wolverine.

Back many years ago Timberland made some good shoes.
I have had many walking/hiking boots but this was the most comfortable boot I 've ever owned.
I once hiked 15-20 miles per day for 11 days while in Poland and my feet felt great.
It was a size 10 1/2 Wide heaven.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Goodbye boots.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back many years ago Timberland made some good shoes.
I have had many walking/hiking boots but this was the most comfortable boot I 've ever owned.
I once hiked 15-20 miles per day for 11 days while in Poland and my feet felt great.
It was a size 10 1/2 Wide heaven.

The ones I had were bought at sears in about 2002 or so.  after a few months, some plastic in the heel support decided to start slicing up my ankles
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Were they ever painted black and worn to a wedding in India?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Were they ever painted black and worn to a wedding in India?

No, but I got some gray paint on it (you can still see some spots of it) when I was walking in the forest behind the Sobibor concentration camp... somebody threw away a can of paint in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thought this was going to be another divorce thread.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Shit no, not my wife.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
p u
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I know how you feel.
I had a pair of leather boots issued by Uncle Sugar back in 1985.
Those boots wore well, and I don't mean "for issue boots".
Some of the best boots I ever owned.  They fit perfectly and the leather was like glove leather.
Hated to see those go.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Umm, yea. They're just boots, yea you had them a long time, let 'em go. You should have pitched them about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It is.

Also yobo, everywhere that you wore those boots  that you listed, the people knew you were an American.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a pair of Timberland Pit Boss Boots that I replaced the insoles in and have worn nearly every day for the past 3 years that look worse than those. BTW I am on concrete and they are very comfortable. I only said they look worse, just not worn out

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Should have wrote a letter about all the stuff those boots have seen and done and mailed them back to Timberland, I bet they would have mailed you a ton of free stuff and may have used them in an ad.
Who knows but it is worth a shot??
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Hard to beat a good pair of boots. Glad to see yours served you well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I had this boots since 1991 when I purchased it to wear on a camping/hiking trip to Georgia.  Since then this has been by favorite walking/hiking boots and it had gone with me everywhere for 15 years.

Back when I used to travel a lot for work I used to pack this boot along with a jean, shirt and a jacket so I can go out exploring on weekends.   It had gone with me to Sweden, Germany, Italy, Panama, Nicaragua, China, Russia, Korea, Egypt, Japan, Canada, Spain and some other countries I can't remember right now.  I wore it when I walked the Great Wall of China, across the bridge from Poland to Germany, walked around Red Square, Tienemen Square and death camps of Auschwitz and Sobobor (whats left of it) and walked around the pyramids of Egypt and Guatamala.

After all that time the old boot has had it.  The leather has worn out in couple places and the heel no longer give the necessary support.  The sole is worn and all that walking has compressed the bottom.  

Last time I wore it was after Hurricane Wilma when I had to cut and clear trees from the yard her at my house and at my neighbor's and my parents.

Gonna miss it.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/rug357/Pics/5bcba0c4.jpg

This is pretty crazy.  

I have a pair of boots that I got in 1994, wore them almost daily in the winter and hiking in the summer until I finally broke down and bought some Vasque Sundowners about six months ago.  I always told friends that remarked on my raggedy old boots that they were the most comfortable, longest wearing pair of boots I'd ever bought, and they'd gone with me through the end of high school to the military, through Turkey, England, Germany, Saudi, Kuwait and all over the US.  

They're the exact same Timberlands as yours.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#21]
they look better than mine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]

But...but....you could've just had new soles sewn on!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
You should give 'em a funeral pyre.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ouch!! just seeing the brand name Timberland made my feet hurt I had a pair for work and were absolutly the worst pair of footwear I had ever owned. go Wolverine.Redwings

Fixed it for ya.  I used to be a hotshot and had a custom made pair.  Best boots EVER
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]
For some stupid reason I feel the need to stand up for Timberland.  I have a pair of hiking boots which are fantastic and have withstood A LOT of abuse and are holding up quite nicely, as well as a pair of oxfords which I wear nearly every day.  Both are extremely comfy and built very well...paticularly the boots.

Here's das Boots.....

...so bite me.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Great idea!  Just like how Toyota loves to brag about their high mileage vehicles.

Quoted:
Should have wrote a letter about all the stuff those boots have seen and done and mailed them back to Timberland, I bet they would have mailed you a ton of free stuff and may have used them in an ad.
Who knows but it is worth a shot??

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Good to hear there are others that has gotten good service from Timberland boots.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I can smell those from NY.

That's NJ dude.  Sorry
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a pair of jump boots from 1969.  Still wear them from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I wear Timberland steel toed hiking boots (9-1/2 wide) for work.
Most comfortable boots I have worn.
After 20+ years of wearing Uncle Sugars "best" canoe club issued boots these are like a breath of fresh air.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I have had several pairs of Timberland boots / shoes. All have served well. size 13 or 14 depending on what I was doing with them. I have always liked Timberland.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Don't throw them away,  start them at 0.99 + shipping on ebay, somebody will buy them

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Could have had them bronzed. Would make a great conversation piece. I'm saving my first set of jump boots to have them bronzed. Worn out now and just taking up space in the closet but can't bear to toss them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone into redwing boots?  They are by far the best boots I have owned.  At $230 they are spendy but very comfortable with plenty of support.  They took about a month to break in and I used plenty of oil and wax to get them soft.  They are 10 inches high, waterproof and the sole is tough as nails.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
That first pair didn't look in too bad of shape.  Why didn't you just get the leather refurbished?  Or just use a good treatment on them like Obenaufs?  You could have refinished them by getting some cheap dye and a $3.00 bottle of finish from Tandy Leather.  If the midsole isn't breaking down, it's cheaper to just clean them up, and refinish them.  And they'll already be broken in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a pair of Timberland Gorge trail hikers and some of their casual shoes that are extremely comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#37]
+1 RIP
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok tried Wolverne's,   They sucked

Tried two different pairs of Red Wings,    They sucked

Tried the Cintas/Converse boots,      They sucked

On a whim I tried the Doc. Marten's (model # 0071), best fucking work boots I ever had.  They stand up to everything I have ever thown at them, and keep coming back for more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#39]
toss 'em up in a tree.

Hanging boots in a tree is the honorable way to bury old boots
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Thing is, everyone of those pairs of boots would be LUXURY items in places like Liberia (and most of Africa).    
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Have you considered bronzing them?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I had that exact model of boot.  I loved those things.  The leather molded to my foot perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Agreed ... I think they used to make good boots but no longer.  

In 1997 I bought a pair of Timberlands ... Gore-Tex and everything ... cost me $180 for the pair.

After two ten-day assaults into the backcountry (GNP and UK) they were done.   Granted, these were hard miles ... up and down mountainous country with a 30 lb pack on my back for 10-12 miles per day ... but for $180 I expected them to last more than a scant TWO trips!

I trashed them and went back to Danner.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Gonna miss it.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/rug357/Pics/5bcba0c4.jpg

Awesome, I had the same boots and loved them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top