Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When bi-cyclists have to register their bike,get it inspected every year,pay taxes every year,have all safety things functioning and checked every year for a $30.00 fee,then they can share the road.Until then,they should stick to parks with the roller skaters.

Amen, not to mention cops who would actually give them tickets for: running red lights and stop signs...that is my biggest peev with them. God forbid they gotta un-clip those toe thingys and actualy obey the law for my and their safety.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When I was a kid in school they taught us bike saftey and the first rule was "Don't ride in the street you will get hit by a car and die!".  

Did you know that it's actuall illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk!  So where do you propose that we ride, our driveways!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Also define around as in  "Anyway I went around"  Bike riders have as much privledge to the road as you do.

only by law, not by my rules
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The idea that a freakin' bicyclist has the same claim to the road as my Tundra is foolish, antiquated, and should be exponged.  The road is for motorized vehicles, and that the law has not caught up to that concept astonishes me.  Bicyclists.  Jeesh.

Do your research ppl...saying that cyclists don't belong on roads is like saying airplanes don't belong at airports...

Wrong.  Saying that bicycles belong on modern roads in modern traffic situations is like saying that biplanes and dirigibles ought to be allowed at JFK on Thanksgiving day.  They're why we have airports, right?  Same concept?  

Bicycles aren't allowed on interstates...sounds like the same concept to me!

It's simply a matter of it being unsafe, for ALL INVOLVED.  In many communities, bicycle lanes are to the side of the road.  This rocks, and go them.  But on roads without this allowance, and thanks to the MAJORITY of bicyclists who do not yield right of way to a motorized vehicle, there is a grave danger with often deadly results.  Sorry, not biting.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bicyclists got the roads improved in this country, that were later used by cars...you can't change that fact...

this is without a doubt the dumbest thing i have read here yet. City,state and county governments could have given 2 shits about "improved" roads for bicycles. roads were improved to promote commerce and safety of travel for all vehicles, which in those days included, horses and motorised cars. to think for on second is was for bicycles is sheer stupidity.

You are completely wrong...do a little research...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The first "modern" roads were built by the Romans who did not ride bycicles by any means. As far as roads nowadays, sorry don't buy it. Maybe a few blocks were done for the bike riders but almost all modern roads were paid for by and used by vehicles used for either farming or transportation.

I have no problem with bikers who are responsible riders, however, I see way to many who deserve tickets for their stupidity and lack of ability to follow traffic laws. The twofers are OK but when they "pack up" they become total dillwads who do as they please, to include running stop signs, lights, and any other traffic device that would slow or stop them. Their excuse is always that they would be seperated. Guess I'll try that in a vehicle pack and see if the nice Police Officer buys it. Funny thing is I like to ride and can see both sides, but you'll always lose to a 6000 pound vehicle so a bit of common sense goes a long way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also define around as in  "Anyway I went around"  Bike riders have as much privledge to the road as you do.

- IME, bike riders find traffic laws applicable to them when they see fit. Its not unusual to see them blowing through red lights and ignoring other rules of the road while peddling about to and fro.

I wouldn't know what you mean (sniff) . . .   I do not ride as much anymore, but I used to do exactly as you describe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Excise tax on gas is for building and maintaining roads.  What kind of taxes per mile do bikers pay?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The whole thing is real simple.  Bicycles have the same legal right to most roads that cars do.  A responsible cyclist stays away from heavy traffic; trust me, we don't like being around a whole bunch of heavy traffic anymore than you would want us there.  Legally, bicycles ride WITH the flow of traffic and NEVER against it.  It's been that way since at least the late 1960s.  Cyclist have to follow the same laws that drivers do.  If we ride at night we're required to have lights.  If there's a stop sign or red light we're required to stop.  The police can ticket for offenses just as they can with someone driving a car.  

Some of the same stuff that I'm hearing on here about cyclists is the same kind of stuff that you'll find on the VPC or Brady website about shooters, that we're irresponsible, that we shouldn't be allowed to <insert pet peeve here>.  Sit back and think about it for a few minutes and you'll see exactly what I mean.  

Responsible cyclists aren't stupid, we know that a 4000 pound car with win every time over a 20 pound bicycle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Excise tax on gas is for building and maintaining roads.  What kind of taxes per mile do bikers pay?

Ammo tax!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Nobody is going to dissuade Mr.Squeezecock tonight, you know.

I, however, have efforted to research at his behest, and have proven, thus far, at least, incapable of finding any information to support this claim that bicycles built our roads.  In fact, I did find this very well written article regarding the beginning of the modern road system, no mention of bikes being anything other than a consideration to work around.

www.bicyclinglife.com/EffectiveAdvocacy/TheRoadsWeHave.htm

Oh, wait, jeesh, nope, HERE'S the proof!  In the late 1800's, apparently, interest in cycling DID spur interest in a better road system!  And hey, I can CERTAINLY see that we can continue to use 1800's thought applied to a modern roadway.  Riiight.

inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcar3.htm

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread has me wound up so one more post before moving on. Do you think there has never been a cyclist one the receiving end of an asshole’s actions? I’ve seen everything suggested from increased regulation and taxes to out right banning of bicycles in this thread. You all sound like a bunch of libs at a gun ban meeting. Trust me, the world the world is full of assholes, sometimes they ride bikes, sometimes they drive cars. Learn to deal with it
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ding, ding, ding!  Winner!  It cost me about .40 cents per gallon to drive on these roads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#16]
bicycles should be for bike paths
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
bicycles should be for bike paths

Guns should be for cops!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#18]
For those of you who are compairing legal gun use to bicycling...your retards.  When a person is bicycling on a busy road, forcing traffic to try to move out of the way, which is not always possible, etc.  you are pissing off more people in 5 minutes than a gun owner going to a range can possibly do.  Also...you claim that it's your right to hold up traffic and force people to move over and risk causing an accident just because you don't want to find a less trafficky road to ride on?  If you don't like my arguement, then get your state to make more bike-friendly roads that have bike lanes, or more paths.  Hell, if they say it's too expensive, tell them you and your bike riding citizens are willing to undergo a background check, fingerprinting, pay a fee to get a bike license, and are willing to pay a toll for each time you use the dedicated path, so that you pay for the work, upkeep, etc on the path.  If your riding to keep in shape, then go ride somewhere's else.  If your riding to save money, BUY A CHEAPER CAR/RIDE THE BUS.  Like I said, there are some places that a biker shouldn't ride, and those are on ultra busy roads.  I have no problem in suburbs, or non-main routes where the inconcience per driver per period of time is minimized.  

It's just like my arguement that school busses shouldn't be allowed to stop on these same roads that I describe.  They are busier than the interstate, and people drive worse, and the lanes are so narrow my full size truck practically rides the lines (imagine how difficult it is to get past a bicyclist on the side of the road with traffic passing me on the left.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Broomstick in the front wheel spokes.

That would be my choice as well!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- IME, bike riders find traffic laws applicable to them when they see fit. Its not unusual to see them blowing through red lights and ignoring other rules of the road while peddling about to and fro.

Here bicyclists are not required to come to a complete stop at stop sign if it is clear to cross. Otherwise, pretty much have to obey all the same laws.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
For those of you who are compairing legal gun use to bicycling...your retards.  When a person is bicycling on a busy road, forcing traffic to try to move out of the way, which is not always possible, etc.  you are pissing off more people in 5 minutes than a gun owner going to a range can possibly do.  Also...you claim that it's your right to hold up traffic and force people to move over and risk causing an accident just because you don't want to find a less trafficky road to ride on?  If you don't like my arguement, then get your state to make more bike-friendly roads that have bike lanes, or more paths.  Hell, if they say it's too expensive, tell them you and your bike riding citizens are willing to undergo a background check, fingerprinting, pay a fee to get a bike license, and are willing to pay a toll for each time you use the dedicated path, so that you pay for the work, upkeep, etc on the path.  If your riding to keep in shape, then go ride somewhere's else.  If your riding to save money, BUY A CHEAPER CAR/RIDE THE BUS.  Like I said, there are some places that a biker shouldn't ride, and those are on ultra busy roads.  I have no problem in suburbs, or non-main routes where the inconcience per driver per period of time is minimized.  

It's just like my arguement that school busses shouldn't be allowed to stop on these same roads that I describe.  They are busier than the interstate, and people drive worse, and the lanes are so narrow my full size truck practically rides the lines (imagine how difficult it is to get past a bicyclist on the side of the road with traffic passing me on the left.)

I have an idea, instead of others changing to suit your needs. Buy a smaller car!

Take a step back and look at both sides of the argument here. Doesn't the intolerance here sound alot like the lefty attacks on firearms? That's why the comparisons are being made. You have every right to drive a truck but that does not trump an indviduals right to ride a bike.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an idea, instead of others changing to suit your needs. Buy a smaller car!

Take a step back and look at both sides of the argument here. Doesn't the intolerance here sound alot like the lefty attacks on firearms? That's why the comparisons are being made. You have every right to drive a truck but that does not trump an indviduals right to ride a bike.

I have a full size truck for two reasons.  I'm 6'3" so smaller vehicles are....painful.  I also have to haul large items (I am working on my house and regularly haul heavy/large items (read dirt/plants/4'x8' plywood, 2x4s, etc), so I actually do have a need for the truck I own.  

Also, when I speak of not riding bikes on these roads, it doesn't take a moron to figure out that there are better routes.  If your doing it to proove me wrong, then let natural selection take care of your dumb ass.  You and I both know its more dangerous to ride a bike on a road highly populated and traveled by many cars and is a main route to and from work.  Am I the only person that sees that maybe a different route might just be better for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

"Go ride somewhere else"  WTF???
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Bike riders should be confined to the parks.

And bike riders apparently think they are exempt from all traffic laws. They never stop for stop signs, signal lane changes etc.

They should be banned from the roadway.

You just described 50% of all automobile operators!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I'll put it to you a different way.  Don't go ride somewhere else.  Do the rest of us a favor and get hit by a car because you were stubborn and refused to acknoledge that riding a bicycle on a busy road, when presented with a safer alternative might be a better idea.

Oh, and for that 50% of vehicle operators.....how many more tickets do vehicle operators recieve tickets for those infractions compaired to bicyclists?  I can't even remember the last time I heard of a bicyclist getting a ticket, and in FL there are a lot of cyclists.  Hell, a drunk mexican cyclist rode out in front of a car my wife was riding in and got hit....go figure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#26]
What gets me is (as another poster pointed out) the selective reliance on traffic laws. The fuckwits will bow up, make faces, spit, et c. et c. if they decide you're following too closely, but I have yet to see a parade of the cocksuckers stop for a red light (crossing an intersection or making a right turn). They have no right to impede traffic, anymore than I have the right to push my car by hand 3 miles down an arterial roadway to the shop. Traffic laws must be obeyed (in their view) unless they cause them to break stride.

Joggers are just as bad. They run in the street rather than on the sidewalks. Why? The sidewalks are rough. They're uneven. WaaaaAAAAaaaaah!

Whether you're in a car, on a bicycle, riding a horse, or rolling in a barrel, you should get the FUCK off the road when traffic piles up behind you. The spandex and helmet crowd make me want to get a train horn.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Bicyclists got the roads improved in this country, that were later used by cars...you can't change that fact...

WTF??!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#28]
that's why you should keep pepper spray in your car...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is without a doubt the dumbest thing i have read here yet. City,state and county governments could have given 2 shits about "improved" roads for bicycles. roads were improved to promote commerce and safety of travel for all vehicles, which in those days included, horses and motorised cars. to think for on second is was for bicycles is sheer stupidity.

You are completely wrong...do a little research...

Bullshit!

Maybe bicylists spurred an interest in better roads and helped to loby for them, but the real factor was the automobile.
Route 66 was built for bicycles? Are you smoking crack?

The road system in the U.S. is here because of the automobile and oil companies.
Without good roads, they would not have had a market.

Gas taxes fund those roads, BTW.

www.gbcnet.com/ushighways/history.html

History of the Lincoln Highway...America's first coast to coast highway.
www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/lincoln/history/part1.html

I dont give a shit if a bicylist uses the road, just have the common sense to move out of the way of traffic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When bi-cyclists have to register their bike,get it inspected every year,pay taxes every year,have all safety things functioning and checked every year for a $30.00 fee,then they can share the road.Until then,they should stick to parks with the roller skaters.

Government regulation and taxes... That's the way to improve personal behavior.

So you don't think bi-cyclists should have to pay taxes on their vehicles to use the roads ? Auto's pay taxes to operate,why not bikes ? Are they something special ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Government regulation and taxes... That's the way to improve personal behavior.

So you don't think bi-cyclists should have to pay taxes on their vehicles to use the roads ? Auto's pay taxes to operate,why not bikes ? Are they something special ?

I don't have an answer for you on that one.  Honestly, I never thought about it.

But to answer comments about traffic laws being broken by bikes I'd suggest this.  Go to your next city council meeting and complain.  Start a petition drive.  At any rate do something!  Demand that cops enforce traffic laws for bicycles as well.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Super Soaker + Skunk Piss (drive-by)

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Because a 8mpg 6000 lbs SUX vehicle does a lot more damamge and wear/tear on the road than a 200lb bicycle.  A road without cars travelling on it would last for decades without upkeep/repairs.

Fritz

PS - Some of us bike riders own nice handguns and have a CCW.  And I consider trying to run me off the road an attack with a deadly weapon and will respond accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Don't you just love Maryland.

Yeah I think all the prick riders come here.  I rolled one with a tractor a couple years ago.  One guy I know put 2 in the ditch.  Another guy rolled one over a curb.  These events were all caused by DFBs being where they shouldn't be/ flicking off drivers.  

One of those DFBs was riding on the right behind his butt buddy and decided to cut right in front of my dad who was driving a 50 ton tractor trailer.

I don't understand why DFBs f*** with multi-ton vehicles.

-Dan.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The ms 150 is a bike race from Houston to Austin.  When that comes through the rural areas in between it really fucks stuff up.  

When I was in hs I was hauling a load of hay 7 high with a 35 ft goose neck in the middle of this cluster fuck of a bike race on 2 lane county road.

Those were some long fuckin days

I hate when I get stuck behind a slow moving farmer in the country...see how this works?

Was that road paved that you were on? Maybe you should look up how the roads got paved in this country...

Do you like to eat?  If so STFU.  Farmers are getting something done.  DFBs are causing accidents.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We are not all assholes, please do not judge us too harshly.  

But a lot of them are. We have the "changing lanes without looking" crowd here. Because they are on a bike they think we should instantly cater to them. Bullshit. They pull stupid shit, I lay on the fog horn when I get very close to them.

Gotta agree with you there...there is a local county park that runs for like 30 miles along a river and the bicyclists love it for good reason. HOWEVER, there is a nice 6' wide biking path just 15 ft off the roadyway that NONE of them seem to know about as they all ride about 2ft into the roadway forcing vehicles to swerve around them.....hate that.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I've never seena driver roll a stop sign or turn right on red where prohibited.

The guy shouldn't have moved to cut you off though.  Not only rude, but stupid and hazardous to everyone involved.  We're not all like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Also define around as in "Anyway I went around" Bike riders have as much privledge to the road as you do.

I can't speak for MO but here in AZ that statement is absolutely not true. Our roads are paid for by fuel taxes and MOTOR vehicle license charges. Bicycles are on the roads as a coutesy; a courtesy which all too many abuse by such behavior as pointed out by the post author.

It seems to me that responsible bicyclists would be well served by kicking the shit out of other bicyclists they observe behaving rudely. It's not wise to infuriate somebody with a 4,000 pound weapon and it wouldn't do to have said motorist taking out his built up anger on the wrong party some day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Also define around as in "Anyway I went around" Bike riders have as much privledge to the road as you do.

I can't speak for MO but here in AZ that statement is absolutely not true. Our roads are paid for by fuel taxes and MOTOR vehicle license charges. Bicycles are on the roads as a coutesy; a courtesy which all too many abuse by such behavior as pointed out by the post author.

It seems to me that responsible bicyclists would be well served by kicking the shit out of other bicyclists they observe behaving rudely. It's not wise to infuriate somebody with a 4,000 pound weapon and it wouldn't do to have said motorist taking out his built up anger on the wrong party some day.

As long as you are doing the same to every redneck asshole in a dualie who tries to pass as close as he can screaming obscenities and every soccer mom who has no idea where in the lane her minivan is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

spandex tax?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you had a "right" to ride a bike, they'd let you ride on freeways.

You only get to ride a bike on regular streets where it doesn't interfere with the flow of traffic.

Keep  defending the idiotic behavior of (some) bike riders and you'll soon find the number of streets you can ride on shrinking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Umm, 2 questions.  

1.  Do you think that cyclists don't own and operate motor vehicles and pay those same taxes?

2.  I paid sales tax on my bicycle when I bought it - just like my car.  I pay tax on my bicycles fuel (groceries).  I pay tax on replacement parts.  Those are taxes right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm, 2 questions.  

1.  Do you think that cyclists don't own and operate motor vehicles and pay those same taxes?

2.  I paid sales tax on my bicycle when I bought it - just like my car.  I pay tax on my bicycles fuel (groceries).  I pay tax on replacement parts.  Those are taxes right?

1. No, not all. Some people don't own cars and just ride their bike. You can tell  who they are -because they're always flapping their gums about how special they are.

1A. Since people like to brag about how much they're saving the planet and saving money by not driving "gas guzzlers", but instead riding their bikes, they can't argue they're paying the same gas taxes as other people. Unless they're buying gas and never using it, which is unlikley.

2. Those are taxes, but in most states, the gas taxes are what pay for the streets.  I doubt the sales tax generated by your pair of spandex nut hugger bike shorts  would pay for 1 / 1,000,000 of a four lane  road.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#49]
you should have gave him a bump
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Because a 8mpg 6000 lbs SUX vehicle does a lot more damamge and wear/tear on the road than a 200lb bicycle.  A road without cars travelling on it would last for decades without upkeep/repairs.

Fritz

PS - Some of us bike riders own nice handguns and have a CCW.  And I consider trying to run me off the road an attack with a deadly weapon and will respond accordingly.

Ya,just keep living in your ninja bicyclist fantasy world.If a car decides to take a bicyclist out,there will be no way you can draw down(or up ?) before the bicyclist is eating pavement for an quick energy snack.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top