Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:21:02 AM EDT
Is there anyway to detect if your computer has a Key Stroke logger program on it. I know they are meant to be secret but was just curious if there was a way to determine.

I was thinking about using one to see what these damn kids are doing on my computer but I figured they might be smarter than me and remove it or delete the history on it.

ASO544
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry, I must have misread... you said, "your computer," and "the kids."  

Put a password on it.
Don't let them use it.

Kids do NOT need a computer for anything.  Tell them to go to the freakin library.
Matt
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
used one once to help an ex-boos find out what was going on behind his back. If its installed and you know what to look for its easy to find on your computer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If you know how to search the registry, it's not hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes there are ways.

BUT, should you wish to use one, make sure it is a good program. (make sure that the process doesn't show up in the task manager when running(The processes tab)) and make sure that it doesn't leave obviously named files and folders around for them to find when looking around through the file system. Also make sure that it doesn't show up in the startup tab under msconfig.

If you can find software that meets all those criteria it should be good enough, the rest is up to you to keep the secret. If you can meet all those criteria the kids should never even think that you are running such programs in the first place and are less likely to go looking for confirmation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Put a password on it.
Don't let them use it.

Kids do NOT need a computer for anything.  Tell them to go to the freakin library.
Matt

ain't even going to get into it...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Use a hardware key logger, that plugs in between the computer and the keyboard.  The only way it will be detected is if the kids go poking around behind the computer.  Software key loggers are routinely picked up by anti-virus or anti-spyware programs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Give them a non-admin login, then use whatever you want to watch the computer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
If your kids don't mess around behind the machine, you can get a hardware keylogger (which is simply a little unit which goes in between the keyboard and computer, like an adapter would). This would be 100% undetectable while using the computer, unless one either actually decides to look behind the box, or inadvertently (hell of a coincidence!) enters the password (ie, open word, type password, and the logger will dump its log as keystrokes filling your file with what was actually typed).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Put a password on it.
Don't let them use it.

Matt

Great, so when your kids start using their friend's computers to talk to the sex offenders, that's an even better solution!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info, so how can I search my computer to determine if one is already on there? I still think they are more "computer literate" than me. My wife put one on and now we want to test ways to find it.

I do think the admin log in might be the way to go.

ASO544
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Matt

Some kids do, mine get assignments where they need to search the web and list the internet resources they used for the report. Thier computer does not have web access so they have to use mine, but that's not because I don't trust them, they are really good kids, I just can't afford a router and cables to reach the back rooms right now.

The library may have computers but there are several reasons why I don't send my kids there anymore. For one, they have a large number of restrictions, and other criteria that make it unproductive. Hopefully your local library is more up to speed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top