Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:03:13 AM EDT
Looking at one of the links provided by a fellow arfcomer as related to a new x64 computer build.
there was refrence to Ubuntu OS for x64 (it's a linux distro).

wondering if anyone here has any experince with it and their thoughts.

thanks

ubuntu.com
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#1]
i just took Kubuntu off my desktop.  it's ubuntu with KDE.

i hated the way it wouldn't let you su over to root.

didn't feel like screwing with it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
i attempted to use their live cd to get data of a mac a couple months back.   the laptop ended up haveing bad ram also.  so it would never boot into the os.  

i have used the pc version, its ok.    i typically use knoppix for most systems now.  its has network card drivers for most cards.   and it just Looks cooler  

edit.  most of my home sytems run a dualboot of fedora core 4 untill i find something i like better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a decent distro.  I still prefer Gentoo but I'm a tinkerer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I have Ubuntu 5.10 on a T21 w/wireless that's mostly for my wife to use. It has OpenOffice 2.0 on it along with Firefox and that's about 99.5% of what she needs. She uses mostly web based mail but I'm toying with setting up one of the mail programs for her on it.

It's not what I would want on a personal laptop/desktop for me, but so far it's doing the job for her once I got some of the multimedia stuff tricked around correctly.

I've run most distros and have to say it's  light weight on the resource demands, quick to install and relatively fully featured. An alternative might be to load the latest version of Knoppix down to the hard drive and change it around so it ran from the HD rather than off the CD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looking at one of the links provided by a fellow arfcomer as related to a new x64 computer build.

Tested it, but I find Redhat Enterprise Linux (payware) much better. They are professional and quality testing has an important role, unlike Ubuntu who gave me some bigass dependency trouble. The downside is the limited amount of packages available  from the RH up2date repostiry. The rescue mode on Ubuntu sucks. I recommend Fedora if you don't bother to pay for RH.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#6]
sudo -s  for root terminal

I have been trying out a few linux distros the last week.  Ubuntu seems to have pretty good hardware support and operation for me on a dell inspiron 1200.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thanks

ubuntu.com

Yep, I use it.  Awesome distro, wouldnt use any other.

I have it not only on my PCs, but also on my powerbook and powermac g5.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i attempted to use their live cd to get data of a mac a couple months back.   the laptop ended up haveing bad ram also.  so it would never boot into the os.  

i have used the pc version, its ok.    i typically use knoppix for most systems now.  its has network card drivers for most cards.   and it just Looks cooler  

edit.  most of my home sytems run a dualboot of fedora core 4 untill i find something i like better.

+1 on FC4

Haven't found a major problem yet. Like all Linux distros it needs a little tweaking here and there, but overall, by far the best Linux distro i've used.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Runs nessus like a champ! (everyone else does too... but we're using Ubuntu for now)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Just loaded Edubuntu on an old machine for the kids(ages 4 and 8), they love it.
I was impressed with how easily it updated but I wasn't impressed with the install process.

http://www.edubuntu.org/

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I run Ubuntu on two machines, and I'm very impressed with it.  While I'm capable of troubleshooting, there was something nice about popping in the disk and it /just worked/.  It just did.  Everything--sound card, video, it was all set up 100% perfectly with only a handful of simple questions during the install process.

I added a couple of repositories to the Synaptic package manager (what you use to search for software) and added the scientific and technical software I need (such as GRASS and Octave).  How to do this was all spelled out in the help and in the Ubuntu forums.

Updates are very simple--easier even than Windows XP updates, since restarts seem to be unnecessary.

I first tried Ubuntu at 5.04, and now I'm running 5.10.  I recommend it to /anyone/ who wants a stable OS with lots of available software such as OpenOffice, AbiWord, Octave, etc.

Jim

BTW, my main scientific workstation already had XP installed.  I installed Ubuntu on a second hard drive, and Ubuntu set up the boot loader to properly boot either Ubuntu OR XP.  XP doesn't even know it has company.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I am running it right now. One of the best distros. Also running VMware Workstation so I can run XP at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

ubuntu.com

Yep, I use it.  Awesome distro, wouldnt use any other.

I have it not only on my PCs, but also on my powerbook and powermac g5.

+1

It's my go-to Linux distro.  I really like it.

Now running it over OS X?  That's just crazy talk.  

Joking aside, Ubuntu is a pretty solid distro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top