Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 4:07:20 PM EDT
Knicks' Davis says he won't apologize
Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago    

CHICAGO (AP) - The fan accused of harassing the wife of New York Knicks forward Antonio Davis will drop threats of a lawsuit if the couple says it's sorry, the man's attorney said Friday.

No way, Davis said.

"I'm not apologizing to anybody for anything," Davis said on a conference call. "I don't think that my wife did anything wrong, I don't think that I did anything wrong."

Davis was suspended five games by the NBA on Thursday, a day after he went into the stands during a game at the United Center in Chicago to confront 22-year-old Michael Axelrod.

Attorney Jay Paul Deratany planned to send a letter to the couple on Friday, also asking Davis to make a donation to a charity that tries to prevent violence against women and children. Deratany e-mailed a copy of the letter to The Associated Press.

"Why would I donate some money in his behalf?" said Davis, already active with various community charities.

Davis' statement after the game said the man he thought was threatening his wife, Kendra, was drunk. Axelrod said all he had was a glass of wine at dinner, and that he did nothing wrong.

Axelrod is asking Davis - president of the NBA players' association - to take back his comments. Deratany said several witnesses and videotapes of the event back up his client's claims.

Deratany had said he would give the Davises about a week to respond.

"Both of us respect the game and the point was to send a message not to harass fans - either physically or by later comments that disparage their character," Deratany said. "If that's accomplished, then it's time to move on. It's never been about money."

On Thursday, Deratany said he planned to sue Davis and his wife for more than $1 million, alleging battery by Kendra Davis and slander by her husband.

On Friday, Deratany said the $1 million figure was inflated, but declined to say how much his client would seek.

Davis questioned the need for the lawsuit, pointing out that he never mentioned any fan by name. He said the incident started because the fan sitting behind his wife was using offensive language around their son, and she asked him to stop.

"If he brings a lawsuit against me I have to defend myself, but I just don't understand what he's going to say," Davis said. "I never mentioned his name. I just said one of the gentlemen. So I just don't understand what the lawsuit is all about."

Davis said he briefly considered legal action against the fan that was grabbing his wife, but decided against it.

"I felt like, bottom line is I really just want all of this to go away," he said. "It was an unfortunate situation, I got penalized for it."

Axelrod's father, David, is a prominent Democratic political consultant in Chicago who has worked with Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton and Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.  

Anyone want to guess how this will turn out?  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean people still watch basketball?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Davis questioned the need for the lawsuit, pointing out that he never mentioned any fan by name. He said the incident started because the fan sitting behind his wife was using offensive language around their son, and she asked him to stop.

If that's true, that he went up there to stand up for his wife and kid, then I've got 0 problem with that. Shoulda kicked the guy's ass then.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont think an appology is needed...maybe he should countersue the little asshole...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Antonio Davis is one of the most respected veteran NBA players. He did what he did because he believed his wife was in danger and did not see any security coming to assist her. I don't have a problem with what happened.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Antonio Davis is one of the most respected veteran NBA players. He did what he did because he believed his wife was in danger and did not see any security coming to assist her. I don't have a problem with what happened.  

from watching the 100000 replays on ESPN, i would have to agree.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Two politically connected opponents… I am kind of wondering if Davis, a 6'9", 250lb power forward, might simply disappear.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Davis did what any of us would have done in that situation and maybe even held his temper in a little too much. If some guy was harassing my wife and put his hands on her in any capacity it would be lights out.

Davis is a stand up guy and is taking an unfair punishment in my opinion.

The ass hat that started all this is looking for his 10 seconds of fame and is just dragging it out for more publicity.

Davis +1

Asshat fan -10
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Too bad Davis didn't knock the shit out of that money grubbing demo.. But it would only be worse if he did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top