Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep checking to see if this is really ARFCOM.  

A member said that someone doesn't need an AR-15???

Blasphemy, I say!

Everyone needs an AR-15.

Even cop hating members.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I can think of at least one LEO who is quite thankful that the local Sheriff's Dept now allows deputies to carry personal ARs in their cruisers...

I can also think of one maniac who wasn't pleased that he had it.  Fortunately, his concern over the matter lasted approx. 10 seconds or so.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
<rinnnng>

"Hello....Springfield Armory?....I think I may have come across a new market for the M-1 Garand tank rifle....yes, I'll hold....."
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#5]
40 Watt plasma rifles, it's for the children!
they're fast
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
This post is hurting my AR's feelings...I'd better go make it feel wanted instead of forcing myself to read any further.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
alternatives to AR?

Thugs just need hugs!!

ok maybe a M1A1 308 shortie

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think LEOs or civilians need any semiautomatic firearms. We should limit them to .30 caliber bolt-action or black powder firearms and be done with it.

The only people who need such things are the military. If you want to shoot them, join the military.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Blasphemy, I say!

Everyone needs an AR-15.

Even cop hating members.

Relax, this is only a test.  A test of our sarcasm meters to see if they can detect it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blasphemy, I say!

Everyone needs an AR-15.

Even cop hating members.

Relax, this is only a test.  A test of our sarcasm meters to see if they can detect it.

actually considering that he's one who would arrest and throw those who own AR15 rifles in his state to prosecutors, I think he's the one being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
they just need a good slingshot and powers like Neo from the Matrix
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Where I live.... The LEO's really need to learn how to shoot.  I shoot with alot of them on the weekends. It's really very scary to think they have to save themselves and us..... So, I feel they really do 30 round mags and AR15's. As a matter of fact I think they should tape them together. So, they can reload as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just finished reading the cover story in this month's SWAT, which was titled "Patrol Rifles: Alternatives to the AR-15". It convinced me that there are several equally effective weapons out there that police cnuse as partol rifles without having to have an AR-15. The police could easily get by with pump action shotguns, lever action 30-30's and maybe a bolt action deer rifle here and there. Why does a police officer really need to have a semi-automatic killing machine with high capacity magazines when he's on duty?

I'm perfectly happy with any centerfire rifle or carbine that will pentrate body armore and allow reasonably precise fire and a quick follow up shot. AR, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, even a lever action in .30-30 provided it has good sights would be fine with me.

My employer decided on 20" A2's with iron sights from patrol use and 14.5" M4's with Eotechs for swat (Which replaceds MP5's). Its a reasonble response considering its easier to train occupational shooters to hit vcenter mass with an AR than to score headshots with slugs and bead sighted 870's.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]
In reality (no sarcasm) the VPC and Tom Diaz has publicly come out against arming police with ar-15s and such.

No really.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#15]
They need to be issued BUTT THONGS & BANJOS
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Cops don't need guns because...

(1) the bad guys will take it away from them and use it against them.

(2) since Brady keeps criminals from buying guns, they will steal them from cops

(3) they can always call 9-1-1... so, wait, the cops ARE 9-1-1.

Well, see how stupid that sounds?  If it sounds stupid when said about cops, it sounds equally stupid when cops and politicians say it about the citizens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
they dont need them.  in fact I am in favor of giving them nothing more than blunt pointy sticks

Only beer slayer could grasp the subtle nuanced description of "blunt pointy" stick.  I understand perfectly.  The rest of you retarded bastards probably slice your butter with a chain saw.  Drive on, BS, drive on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Uhm...I can name a few times a reliable, lightweight, accurate rifle in an intermediate caliber would come in very handy.  Any time when dealing with an armed, dangeous assailant.  If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'd take a rifle, and I wouldn't take any substitutes.  Rifles are for fighting, and handguns are for fighting your way to a rifle.  The shootout in CA at that bank where those two guys were clad in body armor and armed with illegal FA AK's, they were stopped by ar-15 rifles "borrowed" from a gun store.  

Actually the borrowed ARs were never fired during the Notrth Hollywood shootout. SWAT showed up and finsihed it with their carbines before the borrowed rifles got back to the scene.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
THE SARCASM IS THICK. God I hope the poster of this thread was tryin to be sarcastic. "VEST Punchers "are gonna be needed from now on in police work.

or maybe cops should just learn to shoot

Is it easier to train someone to make center mass hits with an AR or headshots with a Glock?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uhm...I can name a few times a reliable, lightweight, accurate rifle in an intermediate caliber would come in very handy.  Any time when dealing with an armed, dangeous assailant.  If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'd take a rifle, and I wouldn't take any substitutes.  Rifles are for fighting, and handguns are for fighting your way to a rifle.  The shootout in CA at that bank where those two guys were clad in body armor and armed with illegal FA AK's, they were stopped by ar-15 rifles "borrowed" from a gun store.  

Actually the borrowed ARs were never fired during the Notrth Hollywood shootout. SWAT showed up and finsihed it with their carbines before the borrowed rifles got back to the scene.

Yeah! The cop who went to the gun store was still pushing his shopping cart full of ARs down the freeway after the whole thing was over.

I saw the movie on FX.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

actually considering that he's one who would arrest and throw those who own AR15 rifles in his state to prosecutors, I think he's the one being sarcastic.

I never make jokes about AR-15s.

And I love to throw crooks at prosecutors.  I don't see mere possessoin of AWs as worthy of such treatment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
THE SARCASM IS THICK. God I hope the poster of this thread was tryin to be sarcastic. "VEST Punchers "are gonna be needed from now on in police work.

or maybe cops should just learn to shoot

Is it easier to train someone to make center mass hits with an AR or headshots with a Glock?

is it so dificult to practice faulure to stop drills?

the cops got away with using shotties and .38s for what? 80 years?

north hollywood shoot out would have ended quickly if a cop with a shot gun had fired for the HEAD.

but thats the real reason why police depts keep bouncing fro one pistol caliber to the next and putting rifles in cars. its because they aren't training for shit.

our sherrifs dept opened its new range last month. 2 deputies have already shot themselves there.

I'll bet in the last 6 months I've fired more pistol ammunition than 90% of law enforcement officers have in the last 5 years (3000+ rounds)

that last 10% I shoot with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
our sherrifs dept opened its new range last month. 2 deputies have already shot themselves there.

Glock Fo-tee's???
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock Fo-tee's???

BBWWWAAAAHHHAAHHA
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uhm...I can name a few times a reliable, lightweight, accurate rifle in an intermediate caliber would come in very handy.  Any time when dealing with an armed, dangeous assailant.  If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'd take a rifle, and I wouldn't take any substitutes.  Rifles are for fighting, and handguns are for fighting your way to a rifle.  The shootout in CA at that bank where those two guys were clad in body armor and armed with illegal FA AK's, they were stopped by ar-15 rifles "borrowed" from a gun store.  Now, please tell me why a patrol car shouldn't be able to stop someone who is wearing body armor?  Shottys and hanguns don't and won't penetrate body armor, rifles will.  

Oh, and if you think that AR-15 is a semi-auto killing machine, then you need to find yourself another forum to go about hating on people that risk their lives for you (at least the ones doing a good job...don't discredit them becasue of a few bad ones).  

Also, ask yourself, if you knew you were going to be in a gunfight, what would you bring?  A cute n cuddly teddy bear to try to make the BG happy, or would you bring the most devistating weapon that you could?

hook
line
and
sinker

reel 'em on in.......

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#26]
page 4
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#27]
eh ARs are ok I draw the line at bayonets
they don't need those evil bayonet lugs on their rifle
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just finished reading the cover story in this month's SWAT, which was titled "Patrol Rifles: Alternatives to the AR-15". It convinced me that there are several equally effective weapons out there that police cnuse as partol rifles without having to have an AR-15. The police could easily get by with pump action shotguns, lever action 30-30's and maybe a bolt action deer rifle here and there. Why does a police officer really need to have a semi-automatic killing machine with high capacity magazines when he's on duty?

Does a Glock 22 count?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually one of the guys shot himself in the head....

ETA with his handgun.....also the other one wasnt killed with an Ar15, he was killed by a Swat officer. Guns dont kill people....People Kill people
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Chuck Norris doesn't like this thread.

The ONLY weapon the cops need is Chuck Norris

When cloning becomes available, Chuck Norris will clone himself, and become THE POLICE....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Of course they don't "NEED" them.  Neither do we.  But it's sure nice to have around any how.

I'm all for M-14s myself.  Now there's a real rifle, none of this plastic shit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Of course they don't "NEED" them.  Neither do we.  But it's sure nice to have around any how.

cept for the fiberglass stock on the M14
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Reading some of the replies, gentlemen maybe I am in the wrong forum
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cept for the fiberglass stock on the M14

Wooden stocks of course.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I prefer to throw rocks when I'm on duty.  I have a super tactical RBV (rock bearing vest) that's just full of pouches that I can fill with 250 grain BTHP stones.  I've really been practicing and I'm down to around 10 MOA at 50 yards!!!!!!

I would ditch the vest...

A poo cover'd stick is teh Shiznit!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#36]

I'm perfectly happy with any centerfire rifle or carbine that will pentrate body armore and allow reasonably precise fire and a quick follow up shot. AR, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, even a lever action in .30-30 provided it has good sights would be fine with me.

My employer decided on 20" A2's with iron sights from patrol use and 14.5" M4's with Eotechs for swat (Which replaceds MP5's). Its a reasonble response considering its easier to train occupational shooters to hit vcenter mass with an AR than to score headshots with slugs and bead sighted 870's.

+1

when is the last time ya'll looked down the barrel of a felon's shot gun while holding a "issued" pistol??? 20% of the people who get shot with pistols die......  80% of the people who get shot with shotguns die. do the math! who ever says that LEO don't need AR-15's is either not a LEO or if they are a LEO they are "retired on duty". Not equipping the people who keep you safe is fucking nuts!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:47:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe all they need is a 100 yard semi-auto stun gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1

when is the last time ya'll looked down the barrel of a felon's shot gun while holding a "issued" pistol??? 20% of the people who get shot with pistols die......  80% of the people who get shot with shotguns die. do the math! who ever says that LEO don't need AR-15's is either not a LEO or if they are a LEO they are "retired on duty". Not equipping the people who keep you safe is fucking nuts!!!

Good lord.

Can you actually be this dense?

Are you two unable to understand sarcasm?

B/T/W good thread motown.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

...... equally effective weapons ....... to have an AR-15. ........... pump action shotguns, lever action 30-30's and maybe a bolt action deer rifle..........?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#40]
There is no reason why a cop shouldn't have an AR,while he/she is OFF DUTY.

A cop carrying an AR ON DUTY is not currently feasible.Exactely what kind of message would it send to the public if a cop was carrying an assault rifle for the explicit reason to use it against civilians ?

Besides,the cops I shoot with at the range can't hit a milk jug at 40 yards.So if they were to actually use an AR on duty,most likely innocent people will get hurt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#41]
My brother's dept has a Mossberg 500 and Mini-14 in each of the patrol cars...
The shotgun is just clipped in a rack in the trunk, while the mini-14 is in a hard case with several loaded mags.
Not sure why they haven't switched over to the AR yet, but I believe it has something to do with the less threatening look of the mini, compared to the evil looking AR15...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:45:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
blunt pointy sticks

How do you get blunt and pointy at the same time? They're opposites.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Woah woah woah, since when should cops be allowed to have pointy sticks? They're evil assault sniper sticks that will jump up and stab people by themselves for no reason!!! We have to ban the pointy sticks, for the children! Cops should be issued Bibles and recieve training in how to talk criminals out of their evil ways. Anything else will only lead to more violence.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Sherriff Andy didn't need a gun to tame the town drunk of Mayberry, and Barney only carried a single bullet.

If cops would only practice speaking down-home southern wisdom to the criminals like Sherriff Andy, they certainly wouldn't need no evil black rifles.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#46]
the pointy sticks will need safeties of course.

who needs cops anyway???  when you have TEXAS SWAT?  

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Sherriff Andy didn't need a gun to tame the town drunk of Mayberry, and Barney only carried a single bullet.

If cops would only practice speaking down-home southern wisdom to the criminals like Sherriff Andy, they certainly wouldn't need no evil black rifles.

When you are back there in la-la land, take a look at the rifle rack next to Andy's desk.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#48]
There was a deputy around these parts that carried a .357 wheel gun.  His bullets had corroded and rotted away and when he tried to fire....it made no boom.

And another deputy, at the same training facility was shooting his glock and got slide bite EVERY TIME HE SHOT!

But yeah, the cops dont need AR-15s.

"When you only have one shot....you better make it count."

Its for the children.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank God that the police didn't have Ar15's
at the onset of the North Hollywood shootout.
It might have ended right away.

if they had lever action .30-30s or bolt action .30-06 rifles they would have "ended it the right way" just as easily.

No.  Those are too dangerous as well because they can penetrate bulletproof vests.  They could mistake Sean Puffy P. Diddly Diddy for a common criminal and shoot right through his body armor with their assault manually operated weapons, therefore depriving us of his lyrical genius.  

I wouldnt worry too much, most cops are crappy shots anyway

But that just means they'll kill innocent bystanders like Snoopy Doggity Dog and Fiddy Cent.  I'm especially worried about Snoop, Cops seem to be able to hit dogs.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top