Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I wear one always. With 18 yrs as a firefighter, I've seen and cut enough people out of wrecked cars with and without injuries and the ones wearing seatbelts were almost always less injured or unijured than those who were not.

I do not agree that government should be dictating their use (for adults)under penalty of a citationn nor that it should be a primary reason to pull someone over in a motorvehicle.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm 43

I dont wear a seatbelt

I was in a rollover accident once, and I was told by the State Trooper that if I would have been wearing one I would have been a Dead Man

I think it is a bullshit Law

My dad was also invovled in a rollover involving a '70's AMC Jeep.  He said he would have been split in two if he had worn a seatbelt.  

I think you shouldn't legislate seat belts either.  You wear them or you don't.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I didn't wear seatbelts till I was more than 30 years old.

It just chapped my hide the gov't was gonna force me to do it.

So to spite the gov't, I didn't wear one. I'll show them - by endangering myself.

For me, it was kinda a combination of libertarianism / immaturity.

In NH the government doesn't force you to wear a seatbelt.  

But I wear one because I dig being alive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen too many idiots who were too cool to wear their belts end up dead when they would probably still be alive if they had been wearing their seatbelt to not wear it.  I'm under 30 (21 to be exact)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So to spite the gov't, I didn't wear one. I'll show them - by endangering myself.

Do you wear your belt ?Why? Why not?

(see poll)

Isn't not wearing a selt belt because the govt "forces" you to do it kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I get a chuckle out of these "I'm not gonna do it because the govt can't tell me what to do" types.

If the govt tomorrow made it illegal to hit yourself in the head with a hammer after painting yourself purple, these guys would be racing to Home Depot to get Glidden and 3lb ball peens before they sold out  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Always wear mine. 43.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
The laws of physics trump the laws of the state.  Wear your safety belt, please.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
my car makes a loud beeping noise every 30 seconds if i don't wear it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
56 years old and would have only made it to 35 years if I didn't wear my seat belt. Driver side impact forced me off  the road head on into a LARGE boulder with impact speed in excess of 55mph.  Bronco II flipped end over end going over the boulder, tearing the engine out and the front suspension off the frame. I had a bruse on my shoulder from the shoulder harness. Went to work 3 hours later. Nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I am 25. I wear it, and actually wish I had 4pt. belts in the car.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you wear your belt ?Why? Why not?

(see poll)

Isn't not wearing a selt belt because the govt "forces" you to do it kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Can't sneak anything past you.    see red type above  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#14]
If the state didn't have to pay for medical care for idiots (yes, I said IDIOTS) that didn't wear their seatbelts, I could see the point of not wearing them.  But we have a safety net for such idiots so laws are enacted.

IMHO, those who do not wear their safety belts SHOULD pay with higher insurance rates.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#15]
No seat belt for me. I also don't wear a helmet on my motorcycle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I usually don't, but I have been making a conscious effort to do so. I don't know why I don't, I know I should but I get it and go.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#17]
8 years working on mostly vehicle vs vehicle accidents.

I've heard enough biomechanical experts to BELIEVE that if you are going to crash, you need to be wearing a belt.

My car doesn't move, at all, not even out of the garage, unless the belts are on every occupant.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Always. Ever since I started driving 33 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Always wear it.  Passegers either wear it or walk.  Way back when I was 17 I watched a wreck in Corpus Christi.  Lady broadsided a construction barrier at an intersection.  Her speed couldn't have been more than 40.

Due to bracing herself against the impact her knees were locked and her knee joints exploded.  The bottom end of her femurs were completely exposed.  She never passed out either.

Didn't know you ever made it down to my old stomping grounds.  Guess everybody's gotta get some sun, sand, and surf sometime, huh?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Back in 1964 I watched a driver ed movie called Signal 30.  Most of it was a production of the Ohio State Patrol IIRC.  After seein that I went straight to the parts store and bought seat belts for my '51 Chevy P/U and installed them the same day.  nuff said
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Always wear it.  Passegers either wear it or walk.  Way back when I was 17 I watched a wreck in Corpus Christi.  Lady broadsided a construction barrier at an intersection.  Her speed couldn't have been more than 40.

Due to bracing herself against the impact her knees were locked and her knee joints exploded.  The bottom end of her femurs were completely exposed.  She never passed out either.

Didn't know you ever made it down to my old stomping grounds.  Guess everybody's gotta get some sun, sand, and surf sometime, huh?

Grew up there and went to King HS.  Mom still lives off of Everhart.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Always. It's like an instinct, or preprogrammed motions - you unlock the door, get into the seat, buckle up, start the engine, etc. I don't even think about it normally, but it does feel strange if I drive or ride without one on.

I can kinda see the rebellion part - I guess I'm naturally rebellious enough that I'm tempted to not wear my seatbelt because so many annoying people tell me to. But I don't really want to walk around with the Ford logo stamped into my chest for the rest of my life if some idiot runs into me. I'm also tempted to take up smoking for the same reason, but that seems kinda dumb too.

For the people who claim that seatbelts are unsafe, please explain. I have a hard time concieving of any accident in which you'd be better off without a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm 43

I dont wear a seatbelt

I was in a rollover accident once, and I was told by the State Trooper that if I would have been wearing one I would have been a Dead Man

Yes, I wear mine on State roads and most others; didn't always.  My dad died when I was 8 years old in a rollover accident.  He never wore a seatbelt, but my mother had nagged him into it.

One broken neck later, here we are.  Trooper told my uncle (who was EMS dir at the time) that it would have been easily survivable (though not guaranteed) without the belt (this was before they were in the least adjustable, and they weren't initially made for 6'5", 325lbs).

That said, I know the difference between anecdotal and statistical evidence.  Which is the reason for my above answer.

I also agree with Charging_Handle about harnesses vs. seatbelts.  If you're gonna legislate it (which I don't agree with), you might as well go all the way in the name of safety.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I went many years not wearing one because I hated feeling "trapped" in my car.

Then, right after I got married, I read an article about auto accidents.
In the article, a Dallas EMT was quoted as saying, "I've attended 2500 accidents and I've never once unbuckled a corpse."

That was when I realized that bondage in an Oldsmobile was a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grew up there and went to King HS.  Mom still lives off of Everhart.

<-------------
Originally from Taft
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm 43

I dont wear a seatbelt

Yes, I wear mine on State roads and most others; didn't always.  My dad died when I was 8 years old in a rollover accident.  He never wore a seatbelt, but my mother had nagged him into it.

One broken neck later, here we are.  Trooper told my uncle (who was EMS dir at the time) that it would have been easily survivable (though not guaranteed) without the belt (this was before they were in the least adjustable, and they weren't initially made for 6'5", 325lbs).

That said, I know the difference between anecdotal and statistical evidence.  Which is the reason for my above answer.

I also agree with Charging_Handle about harnesses vs. seatbelts.  If you're gonna legislate it (which I don't agree with), you might as well go all the way in the name of safety.

EDIT;  didn't read closely, let me first offer sincere condolences for the loss of your dad, at whatever age he was taken.

You're right about the law, I wear mine whether it's the law or not.

But that trooper was likely talking out his ass, I very much doubt that he's had the training to back up such a statement.

It's VERY infrequent when a belt makes you WORSE off then not wearing one.

You really need to consider the source, sometimes they are just making conversation or trying ot make people feel better.

I saw a cop tell a family once that it "wouldn't have made a difference" in their son's death if he had been wearing a belt.

Strange, since he hit a palm tree head on, and his injuries were to the chest/face from hitting the steering wheel.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#28]
42.  What was the question again?

I've been wearing them since the 60s.  My parent's insisted, and it just became a habit.  I almost quit when the .gov told me I had too, but I decided not to change my habits just because of some stupid new government mandate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I wear one always.
I am also living proof of what happens if you don't.
I have worn seat belts when driving since I started driving a long time ago. Sometime ago while working a a paramedic I was in the back working on a patient and could not be belted. Here are some things I learned that day.
An ambulance does not fly well
They land very hard when you try
Rolling over in said ambulance is not a fun ride
Oxygen tanks will break mounts in a roll over
M Oxygen tanks hurt a lot when they hit you
The back of a ambulance has many hard sharp places
You can break a convex light dome with the top of your head
The imprint bruise in your side of a motorola radio is not a cool tat
Multiple fractures and lacerations are not fun
Back injuries are forever
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#30]
26, always wear it.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  Given that, I don't think it should be "the law".  But alas, the .gov does not favor self-responsibility.  I figure with no seat belt law, Darwin just weeds out morons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Always wear it, I'm 24.

I could give a shit less about the seatbelt law, I wear it for personal preference. I've seen what happens to people that don't wear em. No thanks.

I'm 28, and I second your 'give a shit less about the law' sentiment.

The other day I stopped for gas/groceries at the local Albertson's. I got the gas first and then hopped back in the car to pull away from the pumps and go park. I figured I wouldn't put my seatbelt on since the actually store is only about 100 yards away. That short drive through the parking lot without a seatbelt had me twitching.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I am 56, and I always wore my seat belt religiously ever since my first car, a 1966 Dodge Dart.  There is a bunch of stupid @$$ drivers in my 'hood, and it is my way of self defense against those fvckers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I was unbuckled and had a wreck some years ago when I was about 18.  I whacked that steering wheel pretty hard with my nose.  Lost a lot of blood on that one.  I said I am wearing it from now on.  Only time I don't wear it is when I forget to put it on which is very rare.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I always wear my seat belt and everyone in my vehicle wears one or we don't go anywhere.  I've been to many crashes where a seatbelt kept people from being injured and crashes with people that didn't wear a seatbelt and got injured worse than they would have been with a seatbelt.  

Before I wore one, I got a broken nose (third time) during a crash, on the steering wheel, of my 1966 Mustang.  

I'm  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm 50 and always wear belts in anything .  Got ejected in a 50 mph rollover in an old toyota fj40 when I was 17 and was uninjured somehow. Learned my lesson and installed 5 point harness rolled same truck 4 years later and only had bump on head from landing on rollcage when everything stopped, and I released harness.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Always, 22
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Even if it wasn't the law, i would wear it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#38]
23 and i wear mine religiously...   seriously a belt has saved my life...  so has a 5point harness....   shit just 2 days ago my seatbelt prevented me from kissing my steering wheel in an accident that totaled my project car:(
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Seat belt in the car, helmet and jacket and gloves on the bike.

And if anyone reading thinks that your airbag is gonna save you all on your own, remember that the bag is filled by an explosive device and is rushing at your chest and face in excess of 220 MPH, full of hot gasses. Trust me. I work at a plant that makes the inflators...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I always wear seatbelts.

Always.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#41]
37 and always wear one.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Always.  30+  Shouldn't be a law however.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Although I wear one it is just because i drive an old wreck with automatic seatbelt, I don't think the goobermunt should be passing legislation to save you from yourself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Under 30.

Always worn one.  ALWAYS.

Lost too many friends who didn't wear them when others in the car who were wearing them lived.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Wear it all the time.  Tuesday night I investigated an accident where a 55 year old man died because he was ejected out of his vehicle.  Probably would be alive if he had it on.  I'm the "over 30" crowd.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#47]
33yrs drive 50,000mi a year always wear one.
Although I wish the auto manufacturers would leave it up to us and skip the warning bells.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#48]
For the first six months I drove, I didn't want to "because the MAN SAYS I HAVE TO".  Then apparently the wisdom of turning 14 and a half kicked in, and I decided maybe I wanted to wear a seatbelt anyway.

A rollover accident when I was 21 kind of reinforced the HELL out of that.  Now I don't even feel comfortable moving the car in my own driveway without the seatbelt on.  It's not even a concious act, I just open the door, sit down, close door, buckle seatbelt, start car...

BTW, kind of screwed the 30 year olds, didn't you?  Under 30 or over 30, but not actually 30.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#49]
The one time I did'nt I was hit nearley head-on by a one ton Dodge Van in my then VW Thing,totalled my prize posession,flung 20 ft. plus out of it on impact and break dancing on the Asphalt from My own fault,,,cracked Ribs,Lacerations with Scars to prove it and a kind GF who would dig the glass outta my Back for the next years as it surfaced,,,,I was Lucky that day.

Buckle Up Save a Life
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I've worn one since I can remember being alive.  It feels wrong NOT to wear it.

Age 24.

VERY glad I wear one.  I walked away unscathed from a 50+ mph collision back in November.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top