Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:34:42 AM EDT
My current everyday knock-about lighter is this Cabela's lighter that my BIL got for me a few years ago.  It's a great lighter for camping and hiking.

I want something that is a bit more classy.  Something like this Colibri lighter that I found after doing a few searches on Yahoo.  

To be clear, I'm looking for one of those butane torch type lighters, sans any gee-gaws like cigar punches and all that hoo-ha.  Something simple yet a bit classy.  Am willing to pay up to $100 for a quality lighter.  Problem is that I don't know squat about what brands are good and what internet merchants are reliable.

Note:  I do not want a conventional Zippo-type lighter, because I already have one of those!  

Thanks in advance.

PS I do not smoke.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Classy. Dunhill. Less than $300.  Save up?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have this colbri and it scares the crap out of people
www.andale.com/stores/sf_itemHome.jsp?lid=118510630&cid=8784470&mode=1

The flame is windproof

Here's that tycoon you wanted for for $47
www.andale.com/store?sid=165620&cid=8784470&mode=1&catId=&pnum=&tpages=&psize=&lid=102998849&storeLayout=techno&storeTheme=techno_green&view=ITEM_DETAIL&newStore=&parentCatId=
scroll to the bottom, that $70 in the title isn't the price.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Dupont, it goes "ping" when you open it. (and that ping costs about $600)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The only "ping" I'd pay $600 for is on a M1 Garand!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah no kidding, dont get me wrong, they are beautiful lighters and all.  but I'll stick to my $50 colibri
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yeah no kidding, dont get me wrong, they are beautiful lighters and all.  but I'll stick to my $50 colibri

Bic. It only hurts $.99 when you lose it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bic. It only hurts $.99 when you lose it.

you cant solder or properly light a cigar with a bic
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I collect lighters a little bit.

I love my ST DuPont, but the main problem is they require Dupongaz refills. The fill valve is "keyed" so it's proprietary design, so no "inferior" butane can be used. The Dupongaz refills are $6.00 for ONE fill. And yes, the lighters are $600.

I have a Prometheus Churchill, which is the same design as the DuPont for $100. Works great, I really like it... but neither of these lighters are torches.

Both Prometheus and Colibri make good reliable torch lighters. I have many Colibris and have never had a problem except, when I used Colibri brand butane.

I also have a Z-Plus zippo (torch) insert, works great. Pull out the inside of the Zippo, and put this in it's place. Hold a good amount of fluid, is easily adjustable, and more suitable of being called a torch/tool than just a "lighter". What I mean is, it's strong jet flame is pretty serious business.

The main thing with a torch is to use good butane. I like Zippo Premium, and Vector.

Ronson and Colibri and anything without a brandname are to be avoided completely. If the butane isn't triple, or quadruple refined, it'll contain impurities which will clog the lighter in no time... and then it's toast.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Slightly Off Topic

I picked up a box of these last year and they are the damned coolest lighters ever:

The have a little wind guard that allows you to alter the flame size and the wick is removable for lighting pipes (and campfires). I love it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Colibri
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the Colibri links, it seems like they make a good lighter.

Quoted:
I also have a Z-Plus zippo (torch) insert, works great. Pull out the inside of the Zippo, and put this in it's place. Hold a good amount of fluid, is easily adjustable, and more suitable of being called a torch/tool than just a "lighter". What I mean is, it's strong jet flame is pretty serious business.

Wow, those look really neat ... and only $10 too!  I will check them out.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only "ping" I'd pay $600 for is on a M1 Garand!  

And most of them aren't windproof...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top