Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 1:59:16 PM EDT
Folks, that is a DEAL.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_WASR-2_5.45x39_AK_Rifles.html

(MODS - This is not an AD, and I am not affiliated with them in any way.  They are a great outfit and this is a great deal, just passing it along)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one but I remain surprised by how high the ammo is. .223 price levels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got two Bulgarian AK-74s and a Tantal  in pieces in the closet but that WASR sounds pretty damn good at the moment. I've got a 7.62 WASR that has worked very well for so I ain't scared of 'em

What's the ammo situation like these days
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
not to hijack the thread, but look at this!  a mosin-nagant built an an pre 1898 reciever, meaning it can be shipped to your door, no FFL needed!  damn, i wish i were 21!

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_Finnish_Model_1939_Mosin_Nagant_7.62x54R_Rifle.html
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The only issue I've ever had with 7.62 WASR is getting magazines to fit in the well properly. Ya gotta line 'em up juuuust right or they go in crooked and won't feed.

I'd rather have a .223 AK than 5.45 though since the ammo's easier to find. The only problem I would have is finding more magazines without going broke. Not to mention the fact that I don't see the WASR-3 on AIM...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Just like all the Russian import ammo (7.62x39 and 5.45x39) it is really dry.  Most dealers are out.... and touch and go.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Zounds!  That does look like a deal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like all the Russian import ammo (7.62x39 and 5.45x39) it is really dry.  Most dealers are out.... and touch and go.

it is pretty scarce.  I should of stocked up for my 74 when I had the chance...

don't get to shoot it all that often and it's my favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Can somebody explain this WASR-{1,2,3} stuff to a non-AK guy like me? I'm really quite bewildered by all of the AK variations.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
That's pretty a good deal.

I've recently been looking to pick up an AK, but in 7.62 instead of 5.45.
But, at that price I guess I could always get both.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can somebody explain this WASR-{1,2,3} stuff to a non-AK guy like me? I'm really quite bewildered by all of the AK variations.

This is all just the cheap Romanian variety:

First there were these:

SAR-1 - 7.62x39 caliber
SAR-2 - 5.45x39 caliber
SAR-3 - 5.56x45mm (.223)

Then they couldnt get/import those anymore.... so the WASR's are what come in now.  The difference is they start life as a low cap receiver version, and are cut to accept hi cap mags.  They weld in two plates on the sides to make of for the lack of a receive dimple that holds your hi cap mag from side to side movement.

WASR numbers follow the calibers above.  I cannot say I have seen a WASR-3, but I suppose they were made.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WASR are genearlly the lower grade AKs, where rifles like the Arsenals, and custom builds by respected builders are considered the high end AKs.   The price always reflects this.  WASRs get a bad rap, because they had a reputation of almost always having canted front sights, and trigger slap.  Both can be corrected with the right tools, but to some it's sign or poor quality.  Supposedly these newer WASRs like the one for sale are supposed to not have as many defects.

But lets understand something.  The wasrs even with their canted sites and trigger slap still almost always run without a hitch.

I bought one in 2001 at a fun show, as my first rifle.  I couldn't even tell you what canted meant, all I saw was a cheap semi auto evil looking AK and I wanted it.  The inside was caked in cosmoline, but at the time I had no idea what cosmoline was.  I never cleaned it, never opened it to clean it.  4 years later, 4000 rounds later it still ran without one hiccup.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

WASR-1 = 7.62x39
WASR-2 = 5.45x39
WASR-3 = 5.56x45
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I cannot say I have seen a WASR-3, but I suppose they were made.

yes they exist, AIM had some about a month ago, were on sale as well for $289 or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I cannot say I have seen a WASR-3, but I suppose they were made.

yes they exist, AIM had some about a month ago, were on sale as well for $289 or something like that.

What do they use for magazines on the 5.56 WASR-3 ? Never really looked at them or checked one out in person.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, thanks for the clarification guys.

I'm not sure how I feel about buying a rifle that will likely require trigger work, and having the canted sight straigtened out.

Any other suggestions, geared to an AR-owning lover of fine rifles? Or, are the fixes to Romanian AK's easy enough?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag for further consideration...........

-K
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Magwell conversion...I'll pass.

I'd rather pay an extra couple hundred for a dimpled mag well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Since I'm thinking of buying an AK, do you have any sugesstions for a no-BS, works out of the box, quality rifle?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Man, thanks for the clarification guys.

I'm not sure how I feel about buying a rifle that will likely require trigger work, and having the canted sight straigtened out.

Any other suggestions, geared to an AR-owning lover of fine rifles? Or, are the fixes to Romanian AK's easy enough?

Here's a good breakdown of the Romanian AK varients... www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm

There's info there on how to fix the front sight cant... www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

And how to fix the trigger slap... www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/slapfix.htm

I'm AK ignorant myself, but I have a little bit more working knowledge than I did a couple of weeks ago.

I'm seriuosly considering buying is a Robinson Arms VEPR www.robarm.com/mainpage.htm

I'd prefer to have the same quality in a more traditional looking AK, but so far the ones I've seen that meet that criteria are a little out of my price range.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
*covers eyes*

Spade doesn't need an AK
Spade doesn't need an AK
Spade doesn't need an AK
Spade doesn't need an AK
Spade doesn't need an AK
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Man, I been wanting to ad a AK47 underfolder to my collection for some time. In fact  I was planing to hit a big gun show this weekend to look for such a thing.
Aim has the side folderer.  http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Folding_Stock__Bayonet_Lug__Break.html

Anyone here ever change the butt stock to a underfloder on one of these things. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_WASR-2_5.45x39_AK_Rifles.html

Thanks

And thanks FALARAK for the post
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Tag for further consideration...........

-K

+1

-Q
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Anyone here ever change the butt stock to a underfloder on one of these things. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_WASR-2_5.45x39_AK_Rifles.html

Thanks

It's a totally different receiver.

www.ak-47.net/ak47/receiver2.html

(Where are the real AK experts hiding?)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I remember when AIM was blowing out the SAR-2's for $269.

Just remember: mag dimples or not, it's still an AK and will shoot pretty much anything you throw at it.

Hell, if I remember right, The SAR2's where as low as $219 a piece at one point. I could be wrong, but do remember them at the $230-$240 mark. Another one of those "wish i would have bought 10" deals............
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember: mag dimples or not, it's still an AK and will shoot pretty much anything you throw at it.

Hell, if I remember right, The SAR2's where as low as $219 a piece at one point. I could be wrong, but do remember them at the $230-$240 mark. Another one of those "wish i would have bought 10" deals............

No kidding, I guess it was about 16 months ago I saw one for $300 everyone on the board said that it was pricey and to pass on it, now I wish I could find an SAR-1 for $300  I think the CPO Sigs are the same way.  Good deal, jus wish I could part with the cash.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since I'm thinking of buying an AK, do you have any sugesstions for a no-BS, works out of the box, quality rifle?

Arsenal USA for a stamped and Arsenal Inc for a milled.

Or if you feel like waiting the Vectors are OK too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That is true. But I want to be able to do reliable mag changes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are better, stamped or milled?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Man, I been wanting to ad a AK47 underfolder to my collection for some time. In fact  I was planing to hit a big gun show this weekend to look for such a thing.
Aim has the side folderer.  http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Folding_Stock__Bayonet_Lug__Break.html

Thanks

Not as easy as going from a A2 to a M4 on a AR15.

Underfolders require special trunions and modifications to the receiver.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are better, stamped or milled?

I prefer stamped and they are usually a LOT cheaper.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top