Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 4:28:55 AM EDT
Let's develop a list of items for my SHTF / BOB / Alice pack.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget your laptop w/ cellular phone uplink so ya'll can post on ar15.com![}:D]

I'd carry something that looks like this
[heavy]
Actually, a rifle(AR or FAL) and a handgun(Glock, Beretta, or 1911), and possibly a .22 handgun.  And a couple days food (MRE's or shelf stable packaged meals) and water.  And bug repellant, Tylenol, Antibiotic, First Aid Kit, Big Sharp Knife, and a smaller sharp knife, a hatchet or takedown saw, some rope, some ziploc bags, some duct tape, compass, gps, map (preferrable topo) of the area, some binoculars, signal flares and flare pistol, signal mirror, signal whistle, toothbrush and paste, soap, rifle/pistol cleaning/spare parts kit, extra ammo for rifle and pistol, rain poncho, small tent, sleeping pad and/or bag, water filtration bottle or tablets, two canteens, sports drink mix packets, salt, pepper, bottle of Crystal hot sauce(to make the MRE's edible), solar/ hand crank radio, extra change of clothes and socks, bible, picture of family, pliers, multi-bit screwdriver, wire, small tackle box and take-down fishing pole, lighter, waterproof matches, magnifying glass, sewing kit, small cooking pot, flashlight and extra batteries, chem-lights, chewing gum, peppermints, toilet paper, disposable razor, comb, camo makeup kit, and a good book[:D].

I'd carry the pistol, rifle and pistol mags, and canteen and a little of the extra stuff in a LBE rig w/ buttpack.  The bulk of the stuff would go in a ALICE or other pack.  The compass, map, GPS in BDU pockets.  The rifle in my hands or on patrol sling.  

Now, I know I missed something.  What is it?...
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
How about a BB Gun?? with pellets you can hunt Small game, and they dont go Bang! As for everything else see above.

Hambone, You forgot batterys for all of those gadgets.

As far as electrical devices go, I would carry mine but be willing to shed it QUICK. Besides I have a family to carry all of that stuff so I can Run Point. I know My Area well so GPS is just extra(keep a compass for most of my uses).
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's some good lists:

[url]http://www.easley.net/warlord/quippage/liteloadgeargoshin.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.easley.net/warlord/quippage/boblistdiver.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.easley.net/warlord/quippage/swabbiebob.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.easley.net/warlord/quippage/kokokit.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll need a solar panel and recharger for the batteries. [:)]

Talyn
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Another good site for info

[url]www.stormloader.com/plainsman/bobkits.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
garand shooter - u a ham?  73 de ve4gun.

Same as garand shooter except:

-rice and a few energy bars instead of mres.  Cheap n light.
-I'm partial to tents - up here it gets pretty cold at times.  $14.99 Walmart pup tent in the 4"x16" zip up bag.  Add a self inflating mattress to get you up off the ground in chilly weather. Also a lightweight poncho and a few sterno cans.
-a few ounces of bleach instead of the tablets.  Costs about 2 cents & one drop sterilizes a canteen.
-drink mix powder
-one of those 1 gallon mylar bags with valve.  Adds almost no weight & can be used for carrying/sterilizing plenty of water at one go.
-lifesavers bag should include some robaxacet & antibiotics
-GPS, extra batteries for nv/gps/etc
-rat trap - squirrels beat rice after a few days.
-krazy glue.
-couple of garbage bags
-bug juice
-canteen cup
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I would add following to list:

Multi-tools like Leatherman or Gerber tool.
Extra change or two of under clothes and sox.
Dozen 12" or 14" tie-wrap.
A roll of 2" utility tape.

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont forget your P38 can opener. Carry only what is needed to survive. Some things are nice to heve but weight is a factor. A poncho is a good choice as it doubles as a shelter for cover. Also can be laid out to trap & hold water same as garbage bags. Another must would be a pocket size set of binoculars. [sniper]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Last year elk hunting I went off the side of a ledge and fractured and dislocated my shoulder. 4 miles from our camp and 40 miles from paved road and 150 from closest hospital. The most useful things in MY emergency pack were pain pills and a head lamp. I always carry lots of 800mg Motrin, some muscle relaxers and a little of the heavier stuff. Some LITHIUM AA batteries - they last LOTS longer in cold weather. I haven't carried a tent for years but a gore-tex bivy sack and a self-inflating ground pad will be fine in MOST conditions. Night vision and a good infrared illuminator (also a GOOD infrared laser) will give you a serious technical advantage and allow you to travel and hunt at night.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
It is essential to have a first aid kit.
I like to have some energy bars and some MRE's. You can buy just the entree to save on space and cost.
I have stike anywhere matches and a Strike Force.
A toothbrush and floss.
Extra wool socks and underwear. 1 Extra shirt and pants(I prefer ripstop BDU's.)
Emergency blanket and poncho.
These are the things that I think are essential for the pack. With all the other suggestions you have a good idea what you need.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, Ramen noodels are GREAT. They're LIGHT, the seasoning is loaded with salt, and noodles are a great source of carbos. I can't tell you how many nights I've been SAVED by a quick military canteen cup boiled over a mountain stove in my bivy or tent. And getting the hot contents into your core will give you HOURS in bad conditions.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now, I know I missed something.  What is it?...
View Quote

I remember now.  A folding entrenching tool.  That's what I was forgetting.

The solar battery charger mentioned by Talyn is a good idea too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm gonna simply check in at The Greenbrier?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top