Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 10:36:12 AM EDT
I am looking to thin out the herd so I put a ad in the local swap sheet for a preban XM177 EA rifle and paid the $65 to include a picture of said rifle. I emailed in the ad maybe 4-5 days ago and it should have been in this weeks circulation (today it hits the shelves).

Well I just get a phone call from a sales representative at the company and he informs me that they can not advertise "assault style" weapons in the swap sheet. I asked him why and he said that it's a company policy. I then asked him what other firearms wouldn't pass company policy and he responded with.. "If it isn't a hunting style firearm then we don't accept it"  I asked him how he felt about working for a company that ignores citizens second amendment rights... His response was.. "It's a job and he has to follow the rules"

What bullshit.

They are now on my list of companies not to do business with in the future.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
did they at least give you a refund?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Pathetic and sad how pussified people have become
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
did they at least give you a refund?

Yes, I will be getting a full refund.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
"Hunting style weapons" only?    Complete BS!

Sounds like a fire-mission is in order here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
you should have explained that that particular weapon platform is the most common in the hunt for osama bin laden
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#6]
How about identifying the rag so others in your area can boycott it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am looking to thin out the herd so I put a ad in the local swap sheet for a preban XM177 EA rifle and paid the $65 to include a picture of said rifle. I emailed in the ad maybe 4-5 days ago and it should have been in this weeks circulation (today it hits the shelves).

Well I just get a phone call from a sales representative at the company and he informs me that they can not advertise "assault style" weapons in the swap sheet. I asked him why and he said that it's a company policy. I then asked him what other firearms wouldn't pass company policy and he responded with.. "If it isn't a hunting style firearm then we don't accept it"  I asked him how he felt about working for a company that ignores citizens second amendment rights... His response was.. "It's a job and he has to follow the rules"

What bullshit.

They are now on my list of companies not to do business with in the future.

I used to use the swap sheet after the Buffalo News wouldn't allow certain gun ads. The news said "it was a conduit to street violence". The swap sheet can pound salt now also- I won't use them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would pay $65 for an ad when you could sell it here on the EE for free ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He did. It is called "The swap sheet"  

They also publish "The auto trader" as well. Trader Publishing Corp.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I would like to know, we all can let them know.

I love how the platform of the firearm matters, but a bullet is a bullet once it leaves the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I would have to agree with them assault style weapons are bad
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Both of the Denver newspapers have the same policy. In fact, I think only licensed dealers can advertise in the "Firearms for Sale" column.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
You're in NY ZW.... what do you expect?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Scheel's sporting goods here in Omaha won't sell "Assault Weapons" or any parts/mags for them or even airsoft replicas.  When I asked why the guy told me "It's been company policy since the first Scheel's opened in 1902."  

First I would like to know what was considered an "Assault Weapon" in 1902 and 2nd if they can't sell an airsoft AR-15 why the hell do they have a real Mini-14 on the shelf?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Local NoVa swap sheet's got the same policy.  Think it's called the "Want Ad".  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#16]
$65 for an ad is a rip off anyway
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#18]
The ole' autotrader....the sell the same rag here with different ads.  I think they own a substantial amount of advertising papers.

The policy here is the same, but I just saw one guy get around it.  He advertised a National MatchHeavy Barrel in .223 caliber made by Colt.  Wasnt to hard to figure that one out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Scheel's sporting goods here in Omaha won't sell "Assault Weapons" or any parts/mags for them or even airsoft replicas.  When I asked why the guy told me "It's been company policy since the first Scheel's opened in 1902."  

First I would like to know what was considered an "Assault Weapon" in 1902 and 2nd if they can't sell an airsoft AR-15 why the hell do they have a real Mini-14 on the shelf?

Well, thats cause good ol' Bill Ruger went to bat for the AWB, AFTER making sure his little pet copycat gun would NEVER be an "Assault Weapon"....hope he's rotting in hell....

Sounds like Gander Ass Mountain...they told me when I asked them if they ever took in milsurps...."Sorry sir, Gander Mountain is a family oriented store"

Fuck you douchebag....you'll never get my families business again....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

He might not want to deal with all the 's?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He did. It is called "The swap sheet"  

They also publish "The auto trader" as well. Trader Publishing Corp.

Bingo!

The Swap Sheet

Auto Trader

Truck Trader

Copmanies main name is "Trader Publishing"

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I wanted to get top dollar for my rifle.  I also wanted to try and keep the preban in NY.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I asked him how he felt about working for a company that ignores citizens second amendment rights... His response was.. "It's a job and he has to follow the rules"

He'd be a perfect fit for law-enforcement.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#24]
It's worse than you think.

The Newspaper Loophole...

" WHAT IS THE NEWSPAPER LOOPHOLE?

The unregulated sale of firearms by unlicensed sellers through classified ads in newspapers allows felons, domestic abusers, minors, and other persons who are prohibited by law from possessing firearms to buy guns without a criminal background check. We call this the “newspaper loophole.”

The potential danger to the general public from the private sale of firearms through the classifieds is illustrated by the Mark Williams and Benjamin Smith incidents. See stories below.

The National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Loophole asks newspapers to restrict firearms advertisements to licensed firearms dealers only, and to not accept classified ads for guns from unlicensed sellers.  Since the campaign was launched in November 2001, at least 69 newspapers across the country with a combined circulation of 7.9 million have changed their firearms advertising policy"

More... here www.gunloophole.com
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The Newspaper Loophole... www.gunloophole.com

The unregulated sale of firearms by unlicensed sellers through classified ads in newspapers allows felons, domestic abusers, minors, and other persons who are prohibited by law from possessing firearms to buy guns without a criminal background check. We call this the “newspaper loophole.”

The potential danger to the general public from the private sale of firearms through the classifieds is illustrated by the Mark Williams and Benjamin Smith incidents. See stories below.

The National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Loophole asks newspapers to restrict firearms advertisements to licensed firearms dealers only, and to not accept classified ads for guns from unlicensed sellers.  Since the campaign was launched in November 2001, at least 69 newspapers across the country with a combined circulation of 7.9 million have changed their firearms advertising policy"

I believe the Houston Chronicle has quit letting people put ad's in for firearms.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I hunt with my AR15, that makes it a hunting rifle

edit: page 2
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I believe the Houston Chronicle has quit letting people put ad's in for firearms.

BigDozer66

There's a link at that site that lists newspapers that don't accept firearms ads.

www.gunloophole.com/states.htm

Newspapers That Have Changed Their Advertising Policy on Firearms

This list includes newspapers that changed their firearms advertising policy after being contacted by the National Campaign to Close the Newspaper Loophole. It is possible that other newspapers have changed their advertising policies upon hearing of the campaign, even though they have not been contacted directly by the campaign.

Bradenton Herald, FL

(Fort Walton Beach) Northwest Florida Daily News, FL

(Ocala) Star Banner, FL

Sarasota Herald, Tribune, FL

(Dubuque)Telegraph Herald, IA

Kansas City Star, MO

The Dallas Morning News, TX

Houston Chronicle, TX
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The Newspaper Loophole... www.gunloophole.com

This is something that I have been struggling with for awhile.....

I have been bitched at before about this when I expressed my opinion in another thread so don't waste your breath, it isn't going to change my mind on the matter.

I have sold one other AR15 locally through a friend of a friend and asked the guy to do a FFL transfer. He complied and we had no issues.

Selling a AR through the newspaper can be scary. Anyone who wants to see the rifle has to come to your house and they then know you have a nice firearm and your location. I am also afraid it might draw the attention to gang bangers and riff raff.

I stated in my ad that all sales would be through a FFL.

Even more of a reason for them to have no reason to cancel my ad.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#29]
All news/trader papers around here are like that.  I refuse to patronize them.  

They call here from time to time and ask why I won't take their papers. I usually give them an earfull.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The Indianapolis Star newspaper only accepts firearm ads from FFL holders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top